DMN Blog: Steve Mariucci: Don't sweat Tony Romo's turnovers too much

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steve Mariucci: Don't sweat Tony Romo's turnovers too much

1:35 PM Tue, Oct 07, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The NFL Network did a fine job breaking down Tony Romo's recent turnover trend (video here).

Well, Steve Mariucci did a great job giving the viewers some insight. Terrell Davis, who I'll always love for leading my fantasy team to a title back in the day, kind of lost me when he referred to the Seattle Slip as evidence that Romo is careless with the ball when he's trying to make plays.

Mariucci, who was Brett Favre's QB coach in Green Bay before working with Steve Young (and T.O.) as San Francisco's head coach, noted that Romo is a gunslinger in the mold of No. 4. Mariucci said Romo isn't making the same mistake over and over, but that each pick happens for a different reason.

You'd like Romo to be a little more careful from time to time, but you can accept that the occasional turnover is part of the package if he keeps making plays.

"That's what you're going to get with Tony Romo," Mariucci said. "Sometimes he's going to take a chance, because he's confident.

"He's a little unorthodox. You see how he throws, right? He's sidearm sometimes. Is that a problem? He's not pretty. Buy you know what? Unless he's getting balls batted down at the line of scrimmage, which he doesn't, he can play like he plays.

"Just keep making good decisions each time you're back there, and keep winning games for your team."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (5) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Just who does Mooch think he is, some type of ex-coach or something?

Reaction score
Good points.....

I just worry it will cost us in a playoff game and be back to square one. Preseason predicitions..

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Was never worried in the first place. Romo is Canton bound.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I watched that the other day on the NFL Network. Steve made some very good points, that it's not always Tony's fault.

Terrell is clueless, another "Sports Analyst" that is either 100% for a team or 100% against. There is no grey area. We could be 14-2 and he will still feel the same about Dallas.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
No Mooch ! We hold our QBs to a higher standard , and if Romo doesn't like it he can just leave . :rolleyes:

joseephuss

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2316670 said:
Good points.....

I just worry it will cost us in a playoff game and be back to square one. Preseason predicitions..

In two playoff games he only has thrown 1 INT. Since that INT occurred on a 4th down there really was no true difference between an interception, an incompletion, or a completion short of the endzone. He had to throw the ball no matter what in that situation.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2316713 said:
In two playoff games he only has thrown 1 INT. Since that INT occurred on a 4th down there really was no true difference between an interception, an incompletion, or a completion short of the endzone. He had to throw the ball no matter what in that situation.
I bet no one else responds to this post because it shoots down their agenda.

couchscout

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2316721 said:
I bet no one else responds to this post because it shoots down their agenda.

Ignores what? I have no idea what you're talking about :D

khiladi

Reaction score
joseephuss;2316713 said:

I think you mean to say, it occured when time expired. If it was simply a 4th down, all he needed would be to get a first down, unless of course it was 4th and goal, which I don't think it was...

And BTW, he could have thrown it to a receiver with the best possible chance of catching it, which clearly wasn't Terry Glenn. He has a tendency to force the issue in the red-zone, which he needs to rectify.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;2316713 said:

true, and he had to launch it into the endzone because the game was over anyway.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
joseephuss;2316713 said:
:hammer:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
khiladi;2316757 said:
I think you mean to say, it occured when time expired. If it was simply a 4th down, all he needed would be to get a first down, unless of course it was 4th and goal, which I don't think it was.

It was fourth-and-11 from the 23 with 16 seconds left.

We just had to get to the 12-yard line. If we had done that and got out of bounds, we would have had two or three more shots at the end zone. If we had been tackled inbounds, then we'd have to spike it and have probably one shot -- maybe two -- at the end zone.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
even though Mooch had a horrid time at the helm of the Liedowns... but who doesn't these days outside of what they did in the 1950s... i always admired how he kept the ship straight when he was a rookie HC for the 9ers when both Steve Young went down and the indestructable Jerry Rice did in the same game... good guy and a pretty good offensive coach

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I think Romo is like a Manu Ginobili of the NFL to some degree. You're just going to have to live with some of the careless turnovers from time to time. That's not to say it's any less important that he's careful with the ball and that we shouldn't hope he grows out of it (certainly improves on the one pick-per-game trend), but he is what he is. He's a high-risk, high-reward player.

CowboyMark

Reaction score
Romo is great but he does have too many turnovers. Even though he doesn't let it bother him(which is great) if he keeps it up it will cost the cowboys big. Because the bigger the game the higher the chances are of 1 single turnover costing the boys the game.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
CowboyMark;2317231 said:
Romo is great but he does have too many turnovers. Even though he doesn't let it bother him(which is great) if he keeps it up it will cost the cowboys big. Because the bigger the game the higher the chances are of 1 single turnover costing the boys the game.

I'm afraid that's the risk we're just going to have to live with. Romo's fearlessness is one of his greatest strengths and certainly one of his greatest weaknesses.

Again, reminds me of Ginobili. Sometimes that instinct might win you a title (Pistons in '05), other times it might lose it (over-aggressively fouling Dirk to lose in the playoffs, what, the next year?)

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
DCBoysfan;2316885 said:
I like Mooch

He fits well on the Network. Sanders............He could tone the level down a couple notches. He's got some good segments.