WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Things that need to change

3:14 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

The Cowboys have a week off. Thank goodness.

Let's look at a few things that need to change in order for this team to get going.

1. Start Roy Williams. He started against Tampa Bay then sat for the Giants. Either he starts or not. Williams has to get involved. Start him.

2. Play Greg Ellis, Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware at the same time. Forget about this rotation stuff with Ellis and Spencer. Play all three backers. Wade Phillips said he wants to put the best players on the field. Well do it.

3. Challenge the defense. Jason Garrett's play calling is terrible. His quarterbacks are not throwing balls into tight coverage so guys like Patrick Crayton and Williams will make catches to get up the field. Time for Tony Romo to go deep more.

4. If the offense struggles against against Washington, take the play calling duties away from Jason Garrett and give them to someone else. Ray Sherman, Skip Peete, Hud Houck maybe Wade himself needs to take over.

5. Make Dave Campo the defensive play caller. He seems to have a better relationship with the players and has the experience to call plays. Nothing against Phillips' play calls, but since he's taken over the bulk of the play calling, the defense has been OK. And Phillips was hired to have a great defense not an OK one.

6. Terrell Owens has to get in motion. Owens said he was in motion a little bit on Sunday. I counted three times. the Cowboys put him in motion, make him run shorter routes, get some pick plays for him to get him into the flow of the offense.

7. Felix Jones and Tashard Choice need more carries. If Jones comes back against the Commanders, that's great. He provides speed. Choice is a short scat back who can do some things too. Nothing against Marion Barber, but he's not making any impact plays right now.

8. Make a dramatic move on defense. Bench someone. Anyone. If Adam Jones comes back, start him. Maybe put Stephen Bowen into the lineup. Move Jay Ratliff to end. Make Ken Hamlin play on passing downs. Put Hamlin in the box. Make Keith Davis the free safety. Try something.

9. Time to get tough. Wade Phillips admits he's a softy. That's nice. But where are the tough guys on this coaching staff?

10. If we all thought the Cowboys were so good, I picked them to reach the Super Bowl, why are they in last place? If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, is it time to blow the thing up? Do you want to resign Chris Canty and Marc Colombo? How about cutting Roy Williams, the safety version, now? Do you let Anthony Henry go? Move Henry to safety? Bring Pacman back?

wileedog

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2397079 said:
Do you want to resign Chris Canty and Marc Colombo? How about cutting Roy Williams, the safety version, now? Do you let Anthony Henry go? Move Henry to safety? Bring Pacman back?

No. No. Yes. Maybe. Maybe. No.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2397079 said:

Let's look at a few things that need to change in order for this team to get going.

1. Start Roy Williams. He started against Tampa Bay then sat for the Giants. Either he starts or not. Williams has to get involved. Start him.

2. Play Greg Ellis, Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware at the same time. Forget about this rotation stuff with Ellis and Spencer. Play all three backers. Wade Phillips said he wants to put the best players on the field. Well do it.

3. Challenge the defense. Jason Garrett's play calling is terrible. His quarterbacks are not throwing balls into tight coverage so guys like Patrick Crayton and Williams will make catches to get up the field. Time for Tony Romo to go deep more.

4. If the offense struggles against against Washington, take the play calling duties away from Jason Garrett and give them to someone else. Ray Sherman, Skip Peete, Hud Houck maybe Wade himself needs to take over.

5. Make Dave Campo the defensive play caller. He seems to have a better relationship with the players and has the experience to call plays. Nothing against Phillips' play calls, but since he's taken over the bulk of the play calling, the defense has been OK. And Phillips was hired to have a great defense not an OK one.

6. Terrell Owens has to get in motion. Owens said he was in motion a little bit on Sunday. I counted three times. the Cowboys put him in motion, make him run shorter routes, get some pick plays for him to get him into the flow of the offense.

7. Felix Jones and Tashard Choice need more carries. If Jones comes back against the Commanders, that's great. He provides speed. Choice is a short scat back who can do some things too. Nothing against Marion Barber, but he's not making any impact plays right now.

8. Make a dramatic move on defense. Bench someone. Anyone. If Adam Jones comes back, start him. Maybe put Stephen Bowen into the lineup. Move Jay Ratliff to end. Make Ken Hamlin play on passing downs. Put Hamlin in the box. Make Keith Davis the free safety. Try something.

9. Time to get tough. Wade Phillips admits he's a softy. That's nice. But where are the tough guys on this coaching staff?

10. If we all thought the Cowboys were so good, I picked them to reach the Super Bowl, why are they in last place? If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, is it time to blow the thing up? Do you want to resign Chris Canty and Marc Colombo? How about cutting Roy Williams, the safety version, now? Do you let Anthony Henry go? Move Henry to safety? Bring Pacman back?

:eek:

Wow, Calvin is an idiot.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Damn, Watkins is all over the map. Some of the points have merit, but Wade calling the offense? Houck? Yeah right...

Woods

Reaction score
I have minimal faith in our coaching staff. That's the underlying problem.

But I doubt JJ can do much of anything this year in any case.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I think what He's trying to say is anything is better then what we have now. I'm down with all those points except dave Campo.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2397093 said:

Wow, Calvin is an idiot.

After reading this kind of article i have to say. YES he for sure is an idiot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He must be a member of this board because he turned it into a "it's all Roy William's fault" piece.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
joseephuss;2397219 said:
He must be a member of this board because he turned it into a "it's all Roy William's fault" piece.

:huh:

I'm not seeing it.

2much2soon

Reaction score
#6 is a key. TO needs to be motioned and thrown to quickly to take some pressure off the offensive line and Romo.
Unless the offensive line somehow finds their A game again.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2397079 said:

1. Absolutely start Roy Williams(11)

2. Would be interesting to see how the make this work. Spencer and Thomas inside, Ware and Ellis outside?

5. Truer words were never spoken. I thought defense was suppose to be Wade's specialty? I will give him the D has looked better the last two weeks.

7. We need Felix back. I hope and pray he will be back for the Washington game.

8. Ken's play has been very disappointing this season:(

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2397093 said:

Wow, Calvin is an idiot.

I was getting ready to blast WG, but did a double-take b/c she doesn't have a habit of making stupid posts. Just sharing them.

What this team needs is Dave Campo and Ray Sherman calling the plays.

maxsports

Reaction score
I think the point is lets try something different. What they are doing now is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't think deep routes is what the Dallas O needs to run w/ a banged up Flo and Cory Proctor in the lineup

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

3:14 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | http://l.yimg.com/ds/orion/0.3.9/img/badge-logo.png) no-repeat left top; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 16px; CURSOR: hand; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 16px">Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Sounds like the media has figured out Garrett's ineptitude, ruh roh...