DMN Blog: The Cowboys and The Ticket: End of an Era

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys and The Ticket: End of an Era

11:39 AM Fri, Jan 23, 2009 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Here's the news release:
SPORTSRADIO 1310 THE TICKET AND DALLAS COWBOYS END MEDIA PARTNERSHIP

Dallas - Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket-KTCK/93.3 The Bone-KDBN and the Dallas Cowboys announced today that they have ended their three-year partnership to carry the team's play by play broadcasts.

The agreement began in 2006 and has been a success for both parties. Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket will continue their award winning coverage of the Cowboys on and off the field.

"This was a successful partnership for Cumulus over the past three seasons, and we look forward to continuing to work with the Cowboys in the future outside of their play by play broadcasts." said The Ticket Vice President and Market Manager Dan Bennett.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
great news.

and more great news, I believe the ticket has Added the stars. Which means ralph strangis and Daryl reaugh can come on more. they are as good as sham and laufenberg.

the ticket was horrendous at producing cowboys broadcasts.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
YYYYYYYYYYES!

I guess that was a short exclusive bargaining window Jerry talked about yesterday. :)

Hopefully they get Wally Lynn and Drew Pearson back on the postgame. Can't wait to get rid of Norm there.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2597728 said:
YYYYYYYYYYES!

I guess that was a short exclusive bargaining window Jerry talked about yesterday. :)

Hopefully they get Wally Lynn and Drew Pearson back on the postgame. Can't wait to get rid of Norm there.

Wally lynn works for espn1033 he does pre and post game for mavericks games, So I dont think there is any chance of him.

hopefully Charlie watters will be brought on and I have a feeling larry brown will leave the ticket and head to 105.3

I really hope salisbury doesnt have any part of the cowboys broadcasts.

and for gods sake, could someone get a weekly show with sham and laufenberg, at least like a 20 minute segment or something!

Sham does a segment on friday with pugs and kelly on the bone but its not detailed football stuff.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bungarian;2597724 said:
How can a 3 year deal be an era?
Barry Horn is weird like that.

He had two headlines for this story. The one I posted and another that said the Ticket and Cowboys D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

I went with the least dramatic.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
theebs;2597722 said:
the ticket was horrendous at producing cowboys broadcasts.

How so? It was identical to previous stations. All they did was carry the feed.

I think you just don't like the the Ticket itself, and are looking for reasons to bash as this one you pick here is a pretty weak example.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2597734 said:
Wally lynn works for espn1033 he does pre and post game for mavericks games, So I dont think there is any chance of him.

hopefully Charlie watters will be brought on and I have a feeling larry brown will leave the ticket and head to 105.3

I really hope salisbury doesnt have any part of the cowboys broadcasts.

and for gods sake, could someone get a weekly show with sham and laufenberg, at least like a 20 minute segment or something!

Sham does a segment on friday with pugs and kelly on the bone but its not detailed football stuff.

Oh Gawd, Salisbury? I wouldn't give that bum a mop job.

I know about Lynn, but he's bounced around from station to station around here for decades now. Seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

And yeah, a Sham show would be great. I never got why that 760 show in San Antonio with him and Larry Brown wasn't carried here anywhere. Hopefully 105.3 will do some stuff like that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good, now they may actually have more Cowboys coverage in the off season and Training Camp. Once they started this in 2006, seems they had less coverage during training camp, ot at least the mornings shows did. They cared more about shaving than they did football.

MONT17

Reaction score
Cowboy radio on sirius! If jerry does that... i will always love him and praise him no matter how many stiffs he drafts or thugs he signs, just like everyone outside of Dallas!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
RoadRunner;2597744 said:
How so? It was identical to previous stations. All they did was carry the feed.

I think you just don't like the the Ticket itself, and are looking for reasons to bash as this one you pick here is a pretty weak example.

what? I love the ticket. What are you talking about.

They stunk at the production of it. I can give you plenty of examples.

There are times where they are in commercial break and miss multiple plays during the game. it happens every week. In 06 it was a constant thing and it was still happening in 08, three years later.

and the pre and post game shows were terrible and unlike kluv they stopped carrying the cowboys postgame show from the locker room. they just give you bits and pieces of the interview at random points of the 4 hour postgame. Its a norm fest and it is not his best attribute. he is great during the week and terrible on gameday.

Kluv used to go straight to the post game show, then to wally lynn and drew pearson for call ins and commentary, it was great.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2597794 said:
Will Norm and gang still broadcast the draft?

yes.

they just wont have the picks early or have the exclusive interviews I imagine. the fan will now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys and The Ticket Divorce

By Robert Wilonsky in Media, Sports
Friday, Jan. 23 2009 @ 11:40AM
Ktck11.JPG

Jeff Catlin just sent Unfair Park a press release proving Richie was right when he predicted the Dallas Cowboys and KTCK-AM (1310, The Ticket) would be parting ways sooner than later. Officially, the deal was up and into its option phase, and Catlin says the Ticket actually opted out of the deal, not the Cowboys. The station, which just announced a five-year deal to broadcast the Dallas Stars, was three years into its contact with Jerry Jones's team.

Catlin won't be specific and says the release speaks for itself, but sources have indicated that the situation wasn't one Cumulus management considered economically favorable. More to come, soon as we get hold of Fake Jerry. Till then, I've got a call into Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels.
SPORTSRADIO 1310 THE TICKET AND DALLAS COWBOYS END MEDIA PARTNERSHIP

Dallas - Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket-KTCK/93.3 The Bone-KDBN and the Dallas Cowboys announced today that they have ended their three-year partnership to carry the team's play by play broadcasts.​

The agreement began in 2006 and has been a success for both parties. Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket will continue their award winning coverage of the Cowboys on and off the field.​

"This was a successful partnership for Cumulus over the past three seasons, and we look forward to continuing to work with the Cowboys in the future outside of their play by play broadcasts." said The Ticket Vice President and Market Manager Dan Bennett.​

On January 16th, 2009 The Ticket and The Dallas Stars announced a new 5 year broadcast right agreement that begins with the 2009/2010 season.​

Sportsradio 1310 the Ticket, a live and local sports-talk station located in Dallas, Texas, guarantees big name guests and breaking sports news first. The Ticket can be found on the dial at 1310am and 104.1fm (as well as 1700 AM and 99.5-2 HD). 93.3 The Bone has been on the air since January of 2002 and in addition to providing the metroplex with great rock we are also committed to community involvement that is entertaining and informative.​

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;2597766 said:
what? I love the ticket. What are you talking about.

They stunk at the production of it. I can give you plenty of examples.

There are times where they are in commercial break and miss multiple plays during the game. it happens every week. In 06 it was a constant thing and it was still happening in 08, three years later.

and the pre and post game shows were terrible and unlike kluv they stopped carrying the cowboys postgame show from the locker room. they just give you bits and pieces of the interview at random points of the 4 hour postgame. Its a norm fest and it is not his best attribute. he is great during the week and terrible on gameday.

Kluv used to go straight to the post game show, then to wally lynn and drew pearson for call ins and commentary, it was great.

The Ticket's coverage of the draft was a thing of beauty, and completely unprecedented in professional sports.

Is the next station of the Dallas Cowboys going to have wall to wall coverage of the draft for all 7 rounds, phone calls with the players and interviews with Cowboys position coaches moments after the pick?

They'll probably decide it's not worth the effort because the draft is for for "nerds". They'll just play syndicated broadcast of ESPN's coverage of the draft for the 1st round, and then shut it off so they can have REAL sports talk of sitting around and talking about steroids in baseball for 8 hours straight.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Norm's always done all rounds of the draft, hasn't he?

They may not announce the picks 10 seconds before they're official, or talk to the coaches right away, but no biggie there.

And 105.3 is a Fox sports station, right? Which when I listened to their draft coverage last year, was pretty darn good. At least as good as ESPN's.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2597955 said:

He's always done all rounds (the only local station in the country), but he hasn't had access to the picks, the coachinng staff, Stephen and Jerry until they became the official flagship. Before that the most "inside" access they had was Mickey reporting from The Ranch, which is probably what they'll go back to.

And Fox's National coverage might be fine, but it's going to be for all 32 teams not just specifically for the Cowboys (and probably not for all 7 rounds).

Cowboy fans who enjoy the draft were unbelievably spoiled. What the Ticket provided was completely unprecedented.

But hey, we get Wally Lynn back !!!!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2597955 said:

They may not announce the picks 10 seconds before they're official, or talk to the coaches right away, but no biggie there.

And 105.3 is a Fox sports station, right? Which when I listened to their draft coverage last year, was pretty darn good. At least as good as ESPN's.

yeah, Inman I am confused what you are asking me?

norm is great at the draft, I dont expect that to change at all. they didnt have the player interviews until 06, and really there not that big of a deal, to me anyway.

I dont expect it to hurt the ticket at all. they will still do a cowboys post game show like they always did and they will still cover the draft, although friedo leaving could affect how smooth the draft runs.

and cl, the fan is a CBS station I think. that is where they must be getting cash to do all this stuff. Hopefully they will get alot of interviews with some of the cbs analysts during the season.

I was told what they get for a 30 second spot right now and it is pretty low to be paying all these people it seems.