DMN Blog: There's only one reason to have any confidence in Cowboys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10:45 AM Tue, Nov 11, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

It ain't Wade Phillips, aka Captain Kangaroo. It ain't leadership despite the Cowboys having the most captains in the NFL. It ain't a track record of coming through in the clutch, considering that there isn't a player on the roster who has won a playoff game as a Cowboy.

So how can the Cowboys claim that they have any confidence they can rescue this sinking ship?

"Just from the talent that's in this room," T.O. said last week. "You kind of scratch your head and say, 'OK, well, why aren't we winning?' As a whole, we kind of know what's going on. Its not my job to kind of say what's going on. We just have to correct those things and play better, take coaching and go out there and play like we're capable of."

T.O. is right: There isn't a team in the league with more talent than the Cowboys. That's why Wade's team is the biggest bunch of underachievers in the NFL. And that's the only reason to believe they can get it right down the stretch and squeak into the playoffs.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2412766 said:
Its not my job to kind of say what's going on. We just have to correct those things and play better, take coaching and go out there and play like we're capable of.

This type of comment indicates why we are in the position we are.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Our talent is a little overrated...I personally think the Giants have more talent then us all around.

reddyuta

Reaction score
DallasDomination;2412786 said:
Our talent is a little overrated...I personally think the Giants have more talent then us all around.

i think so too.we have talent but the 13 pro-bowlers is a little misleading.our o-line is good but nowhere great.our "pro bowl" safeties are average at best.

Iago33

Reaction score
Alexander;2412785 said:

Explain.

You want him to air the dirty laundry to the media? Can you imagine what would happen if Owens told the media what was wrong?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Right, MacMahon... Replacing Brad Johnson with Tony Romo is no reason for confidence at all. :rolleyes:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2412785 said:

yep, it indicates that they have all this talent but don't know how to use it as a group

we can thank "happy to be here" Wade Phillips for that

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2412766 said:
10:45 AM Tue, Nov 11, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

It ain't Wade Phillips, aka Captain Kangaroo. It ain't leadership despite the Cowboys having the most captains in the NFL. It ain't a track record of coming through in the clutch, considering that there isn't a player on the roster who has won a playoff game as a Cowboy.

So how can the Cowboys claim that they have any confidence they can rescue this sinking ship?

"Just from the talent that's in this room," T.O. said last week. "You kind of scratch your head and say, 'OK, well, why aren't we winning?' As a whole, we kind of know what's going on. Its not my job to kind of say what's going on. We just have to correct those things and play better, take coaching and go out there and play like we're capable of."

T.O. is right: There isn't a team in the league with more talent than the Cowboys. That's why Wade's team is the biggest bunch of underachievers in the NFL. And that's the only reason to believe they can get it right down the stretch and squeak into the playoffs.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

I say the cowboys win, finally, in Washington and go on a roll.

CoCo

Reaction score
Alexander;2412785 said:

I assume you're taking TO's quote to mean that he doesn't think its his place to speak up amongst the team.

I'd sooner think that he is referring to speak about it to the media given the fact that he knows all too well the furor that would cause.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

Especially on the defensive side. Someone goes down, don't even notice. And where did this Webster kid come from last year? And Ross?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2412822 said:
I assume you're taking TO's quote to mean that he doesn't think its his place to speak up amongst the team.

I'd sooner think that he is referring to speak about it to the media given the fact that he knows all too well the furor that would cause.

I think Alexander assumes that he truly doesn't know what's going on

I feel the same way

catskillthunder

Reaction score

From a skill position standpoint Dallas is head and shoulders above NY.

Romo > Manning
Barber > Jacobs
Felix > Bradshaw/Ward
Owens = Plaxico
Williams > Toomer
Witten > Boss

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I think this kinda stuff is crazy.

I am not saying, by a long shot, that Romo comming back fixes every problem But it helps a lot.

With Romo we had a high thrid down conversion ratio. Not with Brad. So our defense was on the field way too much. So Romo comming back deff helps our D.

Two Brad was immobile. And held on to the ball. Romo gets the ball out quicker and can roll out. Plus he is harder to bring down. This will help our offensive line.

Three he can make more throws. He can get the ball out to Owens and unlike before when they could take away Owens we now have Williams. And Romo can take advantage of Williams talents unlike Brad.

Our special teams is still a weakness but they have been improving. And Newman comming back will improve the secondary. Forcing the QB to hold on to it longer. Even if its a mere second. D. Ware often only needs an extra second.

I think Romo and Newman comming back improves this team tremendously. In all aspects.

Thats my opinion

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2412804 said:
yep, it indicates that they have all this talent but don't know how to use it as a group

we can thank "happy to be here" Wade Phillips for that

Nope. "Happy to have ya here", Jones...............

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
catskillthunder;2412840 said:
From a skill position standpoint Dallas is head and shoulders above NY.

Romo > Manning
Barber > Jacobs
Felix > Bradshaw/Ward
Owens = Plaxico
Williams > Toomer
Witten > Boss

Romo = Manning (I'd say a Superbowl ring earns him at least that)
Barber = Jacobs (He's got a big mouth, but Jacobs is a beast)
Felix ? Bradshaw/Ward (All three of the Giants backs average over 5 yards a carry last I checked, Felix is an under utilized Rookie that's currently hurt, it's a toss up)
Owens > Plaxico = I'd rather Owens than Plax any day of the week
Williams > Toomer = But we just got Toomer
Witten > Boss = Easily

But none of this matters anyway, they've got a better team and better schemes than us right now.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Alexander;2412785 said:

i dont think he means in the public eye its not his job to bash the players. better done behind closed doors

Reaction score
Dallas talent is way overrated because it's not produced on the field... Sorry but call me not so optimistic.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I would encourage all the fans to rally around the team and pull for them to win every single game.

I think the DMN has been vicious in its attacks on Wade Phillips. They want to see the team fail, so they can come back and say 'I told you so'. Calling him 'Captain Kangaroo' again, different writer, isn't necessary. I have been critical of Phillips and Garrett this year. Can you do that without rooting against them or smearing them with vicious attacks? Plus, if you are going to critique the team, I would encourage you to do it in specific areas and not personal attacks. I think you can. These writers sure don't seem like they are from Texas. If some are, they must be from Houston. Go cover the Oilers.

Can we please get our injured players back and play our next seven games before we 'have to change the coach'? I have never in my life seen so many fans jump ship when the times get tough. Let me tell you something, you can find out about yourself when times get tough. Look at the Giants last year. They were ready to fire the coach and draft a new quarterback. These chumps at the DMN would have been leading the charge to fire Coughlin, too. They would have led the charge to fire Tom Landry when he first started out. They are jackels and cowards, and most have never played a down. It doesn't take much courage to write and print insults. I wish the two writers would call Phillips "Captain Kangaroo' to his face. A player might sock them.

The coaches probably have some adjustments on offense that you have not seen, yet. Yes, the team has not played well in some games, but the season isn't over. The coach won more games last year than Bill Parcells ever did.

I'll end with this. Dave Campo got three years. I wouldn't be so sure about Phillips being gone after this year. Are teams going to be lining up after Jason Garrett this year, like they were last year?

I still believe Phillips and Garrett can get this team to the promised land. They didn't just get stupid.