DMN Blog: Valley Ranch spin: Joking around got out of hand/Jerry gets it

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Official Valley Ranch spin: Joking around between Adam 'Pacman' Jones and bodyguard got out of hand

4:40 PM Thu, Oct 09, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
Jerry Jones described the "disagreement" between Adam "Pacman" Jones and bodyguard Tommy Jones as playful trash talking that went too far.

The Cowboys won't hand out any discipline to Pacman. They'll wait and see whether Roger Goodell decides that Pacman, fresh off a year-long suspension, ought to be punished again.

Jerry said he was aware that there was a disagreement, but he didn't find out that it got physical until "right after my meeting with Roger" yesterday. So the commish left Valley Ranch without being informed of Pacman's latest run-in with the police.

The only damage, according to Jerry, was a glass umbrella that was part of a vanity being broken in the hotel bathroom. Thank goodness it wasn't a broken mirror. Pacman certainly doesn't need seven more years of wrong-place-at-wrong-time bad luck.

Much, much more to come after we transcribe 30 minutes of Jerry spin.

Comments (29) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Jerry Jones gets why this is a big deal

5:12 PM Thu, Oct 09, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Jerry Jones will spin this story as much as possible to make sure that Adam "Pacman" Jones can play against the Cardinals and the rest of the teams on the Cowboys' schedule.

But give the man credit for not going into blame-the-media mode. Jerry knew that every wrong move Pacman made would be magnified when he pulled the trigger on the trade with the Titans. As a result, he's well aware that his hotel horseplay gone bad with a bodyguard that shattered a cute little glass umbrella might be the NFL's biggest story at the moment.

"Before he joined the Cowboys, he built up a reservoir of doubt," Jerry said as he stared into a whole bunch of cameras. "I'm not telling you anything that you don't know. I just want to tell you that I know. He had built up a huge reservoir of doubt.

"Another way of saying it, he had created with his actions no benefit of the doubt. We knew, not from the standpoint of protecting him physically, we knew that if he did go out in public that it was important - because he had no benefit of the doubt left - that it was important that if he got in an awkward situation, which can happen by notable people, that they be there to protect that as well.

"Now, candidly, it never occurred to any of us that he might have an incident that would be anywhere close to being public with an individual that was sitting there to keep that from happening. But that's what we're dealing with here."

Comments (20) Leave comment | E-mail entry

OK, Jerry Jones, what exactly happened at the Joule?
5:27 PM Thu, Oct 09, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Here's the Cowboys' story about cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones vs. bodyguard Tommy Jones, and they're gonna stick with it.

"These guys were joking, were kidding, having fun, right up until the time they went into the restroom," said Jerry Jones, no relation to either of the bathroom brawlers. "It crossed over into more than that, and it ended quickly."

Jerry didn't come out and say it, but he indicated that Tommy Jones won the fight, just in case you were wondering.

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JERRY JONES EXPLAINS SUPPORT FOR PACMAN

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 9, 2008, 6:35 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones gave a press conference today in which he offered support for cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones and suggested that he believes the skirmish between Jones and his bodyguard in a hotel restroom has been blown out of proportion.

“These guys were joking,” Jerry Jones said. “These guys were joking, were kidding, having fun, right up until almost the time they went into the restroom. It crossed over into more than that and it ended quickly.”

Jones also seemed to blame the bodyguard, an off-duty police officer who was hired by the team to babysit Jones.

“Candidly, it never occurred to any of us that he might have an incident that would be anywhere public, or close to being public, with an individual that was sitting there to keep that from happening,” Jones said. “But that’s what we’re dealing with here. So having said that, we need to get better there.”

But if Jerry is suggesting that the bodyguard is to blame, someone might want to suggest to him that, in reality, the Cowboys are to blame if “it never occurred” to anyone in the front office that Pacman might get into a fight with one of his paid babysitters. Pacman’s history shows that he doesn’t want to be reined in, and it’s not at all surprising that he’d eventually lash out at the people who are paid to rein him in.

When asked if alcohol was involved in the incident, Jerry Jones said, “The amount or nature of it — I do know that alcohol was served, I couldn’t verify who was and who wasn’t having a drink, but I do know that I was told first-hand by the witnesses that [Pacman’s] conduct should not be interpreted as over-drinking.”

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips added at his own press conference that the Cowboys know what happened and are satisfied that Pacman doesn’t deserve to be disciplined.

“We, as a club, investigated, and we have the facts,” Phillips said. “Our security people are looking at this, they’re accumulating the facts, and that’s as far as we need to go.”

That’s as far as the Cowboys need to go, but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may decide to go further.