DMN Blog: What to do with Miles Austin?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
What to do with Miles Austin?
10:33 AM Wed, Nov 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

Miles Austin's knee injury is bad news for the Cowboys, but it got me to thinking, which is hard to do.

Austin will be a restricted free agent after the season, so how should the Cowboys approach him?

** Give him the low tender (which was $927,000 last year)
** Give him the second-round tender ($1.47 million last year)
** Give him the first-round tender ($2.017 million last year)
** Give him ther first- and thjrd-round tender ($2.562 million last year)

You can't give him the low tender, which should be around $1 million or so, because he was undrafted. He would be highly sought after because there would be no compensation. I can guarantee you a team, say Miami, would make a play for him if the Cowboys put the low tender on him.

I'm leaning toward the second rounder but might go for the No. 1, like they did with Chris Canty this past off-season.

The Cowboys have developed Austin and they cannot simply give him up for nothing. He has shown signs of being a game breaker. I think I might go to him before the season is over and offer an extension even, maybe for three years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ajk23az;2429694 said:
What to do with Miles Austin?
10:33 AM Wed, Nov 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

Miles Austin's knee injury is bad news for the Cowboys, but it got me to thinking, which is hard to do.

Austin will be a restricted free agent after the season, so how should the Cowboys approach him?

** Give him the low tender (which was $927,000 last year)
** Give him the second-round tender ($1.47 million last year)
** Give him the first-round tender ($2.017 million last year)
** Give him ther first- and thjrd-round tender ($2.562 million last year)

You can't give him the low tender, which should be around $1 million or so, because he was undrafted. He would be highly sought after because there would be no compensation. I can guarantee you a team, say Miami, would make a play for him if the Cowboys put the low tender on him.

I'm leaning toward the second rounder but might go for the No. 1, like they did with Chris Canty this past off-season.

The Cowboys have developed Austin and they cannot simply give him up for nothing. He has shown signs of being a game breaker. I think I might go to him before the season is over and offer an extension even, maybe for three years.

Chance are "Give him the low tender" at the most a Give him the second-round tender ($1.47 million last year) based on what the staff thinks his upside is.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This is an interesting question and something that needs to be thought about very seriously. I'd hate to lose Austin to another team just when he's starting to show that he's developing into a potential game changing WR.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd say give him a first-round tender. The difference is only $700k, but it makes a huge difference in terms of teams trying to poach him. I think quite a few teams would be interested in giving up a 2nd for him. He's as physically gifted as any receiver that's going to be in this draft and by the looks of it, he's developed into at least a #2 caliber receiver.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;2429704 said:
I'd say give him a first-round tender. The difference is only $600k, but it makes a huge difference in terms of teams trying to poach him. I think quite a few teams would be interested in giving up a 2nd for him. He's as physically gifted as any receiver that's going to be in this draft and by the looks of it, he's developed into at least a #2 caliber receiver.

I would not be opposed to this, at all.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2429704 said:
I'd say give him a first-round tender. The difference is only $700k, but it makes a huge difference in terms of teams trying to poach him. I think quite a few teams would be interested in giving up a 2nd for him. He's as physically gifted as any receiver that's going to be in this draft and by the looks of it, he's developed into at least a #2 caliber receiver.
I agree 100%. If we just have to lose him (which I would hate), make someone give us their first rounder, which they probably won't. Problem solved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not approach him with a long-term deal?

Base a portion of it on Crayton being moved (which I think happens either this year or next) and Owens retiring within the next few seasons.

I think if you were to dangle several million dollars in signing bonus in the kid's face, he'd take a long-term deal pretty quickly.

He's just reaching his prime and it would be a shame to lose him.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i would say give him the 2nd or 1st round tender for one main reason.

In the trade for roy williams, the detroit lions wanted miles austin in the deal, but the cowboys said no, (i think thats where the 3rd round pick came in) .

Anyway, if the detriot lions wanted miles austin, and you keep at least the 2nd round tender for him, then if the lions do want him, you would get a high draft pick for him.

Look at it this way, we have T O, 2 to 3 years left maybe, Roy Williams 5 to 7 years probably, Miles Austin and Stanback, and Crayton.

So, I see either Crayton or Austin maybe gone next year in a trade. I think it would be very beneficiall to the cowboys next year, if they can trade austin for at least a # 2 pick next year to Detriot in the draft, that would really help the cowboys.

Just when austin starts to show something, he gets injured slightly, and out 2 to 5 weeks, we need a wr that can play and stay healthy,

just my views and thoughts

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I would be suprised if someone would give up a 2nd for him because he has almost no track record. Everyone points to Parcells, but he hates giving up draft picks.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2429716 said:
Who cares. He been crap on KR and he's at best a #4.

Quit posting..

He pretty much saved the game vs. the Commanders with his 2 catches on 3rd downs, especially the last one.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You've been...
Wiss-Scissors.jpg

dmq;2429724 said:
I would be suprised if someone would give up a 2nd for him because he has almost no track record. Everyone points to Parcells, but he hates giving up draft picks.

Lets see. He is about 25, he has size and speed and his receiving skills are really starting to come around. He also has the ability to return kicks. Yeah, he would be worthy of a draft pick. A #1? That *might* be pushing it, but unless there was someone I really liked that I am sure will still be there when our second round pick comes around. I trade a #2 for Miles.

Nexx

Reaction score
minimum or 2nd round. he is a 3rd WR in this league. no one will give up a 2nd for him. 1st round tender would be ridiculous.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Second round tender...I think the best is yet to come from him and I would hate to think the Cowboys would invest four years of development into a guy and see him go on to great things in another city.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I'd do whatever it took to keep him. Crayton is 30ish. Anyone who can't see Austin's potential doesn't know football.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They will redo his contract. As they likely will with others. Jerry doesn't like to gamble unless he has to. Then he's a high roller.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I say 1st round tender, he could be the replacement for TO if and when he retires.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score

Dude what games have you been watching???

Dallas ST is the worst in the league and he hardly has any lanes to go through... no returner can return kickoffs well if there are no lanes to run through and they have to consistently kick their run laterally. Josh Cribbs could do no better on this poor blocking unit.

#4 WR my foot, he has good stats this year and I hardly think Dallas is ready to give up on him... His TD to reception ratio is good enough for me. He has nowhere to go but up.

I would tender him the #1 because you would be hard pressed to find a late first round WR that can come in and accomplish what Austin has in his time with this system. Plus the dollars you would be spending for a rookie WR without any pro experience.