DMN Blog: Witten: 'We're not just going to walk out there and beat anybody'

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'We're not just going to walk out there and beat anybody'

9:40 PM Sun, Oct 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

That's the lesson the Cowboys have learned over the last few weeks, according to Jason Witten.

"This team is a good team, but we're learning that we're not just going to walk out there and beat anybody," Witten said. "We've got to go out there and play our football."

It seems like that message should have been pretty clear after the Cowboys collapsed down the stretch last season. There is absolutely no reason that a team full of guys who have never won a playoff game in a Cowboys uniform should have big head syndrome.

However, Witten didn't necessarily agree with Patrick Crayton's assessment that an ***-chewing might be in order.

"I think Wade's been pretty successful with what he's done and his approach," Witten said. "He holds us accountable. I think Patrick's meaning that something's got to happen for us to play better, and we do need to play better football. But Wade's philosophy is holding each other accountable and believing in us and going out there and playing good football.

"We've done that for a long time. For whatever reason, we didn't do that today. We've got to get that fixed."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (11) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Would some player just please come out and say, "I'm so ****ing pissed right now I want to rip some one's head off! This **** is going to stop now!" then go into the locker room and start kicking *** and actually holding players reasponsible intead of talking about it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Rapid Reaction: Cardinals 30, Cowboys 24 (OT)
October 12, 2008 8:43 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Cowboys insisted nothing was wrong after a lackluster victory over a winless Bengals team last Sunday. Not sure they can put a positive spin on this one, though. Especially after coming back to tie the score at the end of regulation and winning the overtime coin toss.

Quarterback Tony Romo spent most of the afternoon on the ground, and once again, Terrell Owens wasn't able to consistently beat press coverage. But this wasn't Shawn Springs on Sunday. It was Eagles castoff Rod Hood who controlled T.O. for most of the day.

Wade Phillips will have a lot of explaining to do -- not one of his strengths -- after another uneven performance. The only good news for the Cowboys (4-2) is the fact that the Commanders (4-2) were upset by the Rams.

The Cowboys' offense hasn't looked right the last three weeks, and things got worse Sunday. Cardinals defensive ends Bertrand Berry and Antonio Smith raced around Flozell Adams all afternoon, and Romo rarely had time.

Some of his most reliable targets, such as Jason Witten, had key drops in the game.

Special teams were an issue again, as the first and last scores of the game came against them: A 93-yard kickoff return by J.J. Arrington and a blocked punt by Sean Morey that Monty Beisel ran in for the winning touchdown.

The Cowboys' defense held up well in the first half, but the combination of Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald got going in the second half. Adam "Pacman" Jones, a man who caused a huge distraction this week with his bathroom brawl at a Dallas hotel, was burned repeatedly by Fitzgerald. The season's far from over, but for now, the Cowboys are not an elite team in this league.

SDogo

Reaction score
bbgun;2332156 said:

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Cowboys insisted nothing was wrong after a lackluster victory over a winless Bengals team last Sunday. Not sure they can put a positive spin on this one, though. Especially after coming back to tie the score at the end of regulation and winning the overtime coin toss.

Quarterback Tony Romo spent most of the afternoon on the ground, and once again, Terrell Owens wasn't able to consistently beat press coverage. But this wasn't Shawn Springs on Sunday. It was Eagles castoff Rod Hood who controlled T.O. for most of the day.

Wade Phillips will have a lot of explaining to do -- not one of his strengths -- after another uneven performance. The only good news for the Cowboys (4-2) is the fact that the Commanders (4-2) were upset by the Rams.

The Cowboys' offense hasn't looked right the last three weeks, and things got worse Sunday. Cardinals defensive ends Bertrand Berry and Antonio Smith raced around Flozell Adams all afternoon, and Romo rarely had time.

Some of his most reliable targets, such as Jason Witten, had key drops in the game.

Special teams were an issue again, as the first and last scores of the game came against them: A 93-yard kickoff return by J.J. Arrington and a blocked punt by Sean Morey that Monty Beisel ran in for the winning touchdown.

The Cowboys' defense held up well in the first half, but the combination of Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald got going in the second half. Adam "Pacman" Jones, a man who caused a huge distraction this week with his bathroom brawl at a Dallas hotel, was burned repeatedly by Fitzgerald. The season's far from over, but for now, the Cowboys are not an elite team in this league.

Matt Mosley aka Captain Obvious

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HomeOfLegends;2332142 said:
Would some player just please come out and say, "I'm so ****ing pissed right now I want to rip some one's head off! This **** is going to stop now!" then go into the locker room and start kicking *** and actually holding players reasponsible intead of talking about it.
So if a player does that, then what?

That's what I don't understand. People want the kick ***, fire and brimstone reactions, but I really don't see that being effective for this team.

And say, somebody on the team goes off in the lockerroom. Almost Ray Lewis-like. And they still go out and put up a piss-poor effort, then what?

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Who's to say that hasn't happened already.

Snaggletooth

Reaction score

No, instead they will keep saying "it is what it is" and "we will take it one game at a time". :bang2:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
"This team is a good team, but we're learning that we're not just going to walk out there and beat anybody," Witten said. "We've got to go out there and play our football."

Not sure what the context of this quote is but it is extremely odd that they don't know this already.

If true, this would substantiate some of my biggests fears that this team is reading its own press clippings.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2332160 said:

That's what I don't understand. People want the kick ***, fire and brimstone reactions, but I really don't see that being effective for this team.

To be honest though WG, that would be better than saying "Oh now we know that just showing up and people seeing that star on our helment is not good enough to win games".

SDogo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2332160 said:

Then we have the makings of what this team is seriously lacking and that's a leader.

Listen, i thought about it today. Parcells style did not work, he was all negative fire and brimstone but not personal so we bring in Wade who's all soft and like a father but has no fire in his belly.

What we need is a happy medium. A guy that's going to give you a hug like Wade but kick your *** if you deserve it. I still think Gruden or Cowher would be the perfect guys for this team.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I swear the Cowboys remind me of an up and coming Prize Fighter that has all the tools to be champion and yet they insist on carrying fighters for a few rounds.... eventually it leads to either slim victory on the score cards, a loss on the scorecards due to giving away too many rounds or a loss by knockout.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Media ate up the whole team. they all fell into the hype. and now when they step onto the field they feel nothing can go wrong with the best team, and then they get ***** Slapped back to reality.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score

I think TO would say it but you know how the media would respond.....

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. They are not mentally prepared. This should have been covered before the season.
Half the team should refuse their paycheck, move to a remote shack w/ out elictricity. The team is playing spoiled.
The Cardinals definitely looked much harder.
Put their !@# in bootcamp. Hire a drill instructor.

Playing like panzies

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2332168 said:
Not sure what the context of this quote is but it is extremely odd that they don't know this already.

If true, this would substantiate some of my biggests fears that this team is reading its own press clippings.

I'm beginning to think every damn player on the team has ADD.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maikeru-sama;2332175 said:
To be honest though WG, that would be better than saying "Oh now we know that just showing up and people seeing that star on our helment is not good enough to win games".

HomeOfLegends;2332177 said:
Then we have the makings of what this team is seriously lacking and that's a leader.

Listen, i thought about it today. Parcells style did not work, he was all negative fire and brimstone but not personal so we bring in Wade who's all soft and like a father but has no fire in his belly.

What we need is a happy medium. A guy that's going to give you a hug like Wade but kick your *** if you deserve it. I still think Gruden or Cowher would be the perfect guys for this team.
I added to my post, but it still goes back to thinking that we need somebody to publicly rip the team to offset the perceived lack of perception.

Knowing coaches the way I do, the players get ripped enough throughout the week, if not by Wade, certainly by the assistants. I don't know why folks think people need to see a Denny Green meltdown to think differently.

So if Wade rips the team a new one in private...and that leaks out to the media, would anyone think differently about the team? Not really, but, it'll make the fans feel better.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2332211 said:
I'm glad McMahon reminded me we haven't won a playoff game, I never would have remembered.

To be honest, I think he mentions that to Non-NFC East fans.

I forgot who it was, but Troy Aikman or somebody last year was saying they were talking to a coach of a team we don't play that much and he was shocked that we hadn't won a Playoff Game in 13 Seasons or whatever the count is now (once it gets more than the number of fingers I have I forget :laugh2: ).

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2332160 said:

And say, somebody on the team goes off in the lockerroom. Almost Ray Lewis-like. And they still go out and put up a piss-poor effort, then what?

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Who's to say that hasn't happened already.
Yes, because what Wade is doing is so effective....

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
bbgun;2332156 said:

I ****ing hate moslely and Jones played pretty well.