News: DMN: Brian Baldinger: Super Bowl run was set up for Dallas Cowboys and 'they blew it'

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It turned into a shootout where Aaron's gun was empty and we threw him an extra bullet.

Had nothing to do with defense at that point.

A toast to next year!
we gave him the gun too with 4 bullets !
Our coaches are to blame for the butler foul too, they sent him on the field waved him back then off, and they could have taken a timeout
to avoid that being a penalty, but they didnt have a clue.
I do think the packers had seen dallas do this before, and alerted the officials to look for it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What's the likelihood of us getting the #1 seed again? Not impossible but very, very hard to do. Blown opportunity is putting it lightly. I expected us to have a better pass rush than what we had. Healthier & more rested than the whole season. Green Bay came out firing and we were flat, like it was a gimme game.

And that's what bothers me the most. How do you not come out ready to play? That team should have been so jacked up to play....instead we get a comatose squad that looked like they partied all night until 6am then showed up for work @ 9am.

Just damn disgraceful.:banghead:

IMO that should have got Garrett fired...instead the NFL gives him a trophy.:yourock:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
What's with these guys?

Before the playoffs: "No rookie QB has ever made it to or won a Super Bowl. It most likely won't happen this year either but the Cowboys have had a successful season."

Afer the playoffs: "Well, they blew it"

So tired of these hypocritical media reporters. More interested in their ratings than just being straight up real.

Sydla

Reaction score
I really dislike Baldinger. One of the few Cowboys I've grown to dislike.

Nothing he said was wrong though.

One, we got cute in the Packers game too often.

Two, if you bring back the same team and expect to repeat what you just did, you are a fool. That's why I cringe when I see people saying we should bring back Carr and Wilcox and Churtch for example.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nothing he said was wrong though.

One, we got cute in the Packers game too often.

Two, if you bring back the same team and expect to repeat what you just did, you are a fool. That's why I cringe when I see people saying we should bring back Carr and Wilcox and Churtch for example.

Those aren't people's first choice but you can only do so much in an offseason given the cap etc. You have to have priorities and pass rush is the primary focus. Signing two or three of those guys allows you more freedom in the draft and FA.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
We started off slow, seems that the boys weren't ready. We can blame that on the both the coaches and players. Wasted opportunity that may never some again.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I didn't read the article but when you have the first seed, you don't make it to the super bowl, AND you lost first round you played in? Yep you blew it. Pains me to say it

Sydla

Reaction score
Those aren't people's first choice but you can only do so much in an offseason given the cap etc. You have to have priorities and pass rush is the primary focus. Signing two or three of those guys allows you more freedom in the draft and FA.

Signing two or three of those guys dooms the secondary to being mediocre to bad again. Don't be fooled by PFF and their ranking of our secondary. By just about any other measure, our pass D was blah.

For one, there aren't a lot of options at DE in this FA period. Maybe take a shot on a guy like Addison but there are no sure things. So if I can't find a stud pass rusher in FA, I am going to invest in my secondary. I am open to bringing back one of the starters but not basically everyone. If I had my druthers, I'd bring back Claiborne and Wilcox. Then go get a guy like Jefferson for S. A younger version of Church. Then find a mid-level CB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Signing two or three of those guys dooms the secondary to being mediocre to bad again. Don't be fooled by PFF and their ranking of our secondary. By just about any other measure, our pass D was blah.

For one, there aren't a lot of options at DE in this FA period. Maybe take a shot on a guy like Addison but there are no sure things. So if I can't find a stud pass rusher in FA, I am going to invest in my secondary. I am open to bringing back one of the starters but not basically everyone. If I had my druthers, I'd bring back Claiborne and Wilcox. Then go get a guy like Jefferson for S. A younger version of Church. Then find a mid-level CB.

You could put four Deions back there and you'll still have problems if you can't pressure the QB.

Zordon

Reaction score
You could put four Deions back there and you'll still have problems if you can't pressure the QB.
That's true. But it's at a point now where we have to acknowledge there's a problem on both ends.

Sydla

Reaction score

This line of reasoning is so bizarre.

So we can't improve the secondary? This silly logic that it's an either or problem when it's really a both problem always cracks me up.

RS12

Reaction score
Dallas wasnt playing in the SB this year even though he is right about it being set up for them. He is jumping over Atlanta being a bad matchup for this team right now. Atlanta would have put up 40 plus on this defense in the NFC Campionship game and won going away.

RS12

Reaction score
Brian Baldinger and.... wait for it.... Glen Titensore "tight and sore"
Starting side by side, now at least that was a comical era for those with demented minds like myself.
Man I remember em all. That was the "forgetable" Pozderik era. Exact opposite OL era of what they have now.

pansophy

Reaction score
I haven't heard many folks complain or talk about the offense not doing their job???
Brian Baldinger: "They got away from what got them there. I just expected to see Ezekiel Elliott run right at that defense that was a pass defense. [The Packers] were playing a nickel front, two defensive linemen. I just didn't understand why the Cowboys weren't running it right down their throats. And LaDarius Gunter couldn't cover Dez Bryant. You felt like Dez could catch anything he wanted against him. I didn't understand the game plan"...

We scored plenty. Maybe we should talk about the defense.

pansophy

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing how the offense doesn't deserve any blame playing against a decimated defense and a terrific offense and only putting up 31. Atlanta the next week almost put that up in the first half.
Maybe we shouldn't have played a rookie QB then, but then nobody wants to hear that either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas wasnt playing in the SB this year even though he is right about it being set up for them. He is jumping over Atlanta being a bad matchup for this team right now. Atlanta would have put up 40 plus on this defense in the NFC Campionship game and won going away.

I would have liked to have seen what Dallas' running game could have done against that Falcons defense. But, our playcaller likely wouldn't have had the patience to stick with it anyway.

links18

Reaction score
We blew it, but Garrett is COTY? OK, that makes sense......