DMN Burnett Blog: 'Boys are Still 4-1

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still 4-1

4:44 AM Tue, Oct 07, 2008 | Permalink
Kevin Burnett http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

I know it feels like the world is falling in Dallas however we are still a good football team. I understand the concerns surrounding this team but remember the entire season is not on the line YET. The problems we have which are very correctable no need for panic. So I am not moved by the fact that we did not blow the Bengals (a good football team) out of the water.

You have to understand something about this game, it's a professional sport for a reason. Know that everyone has Dallas picked to go to the SUPERBOWL, so every team we face is going to give us a Super Effort to try and knock us off. So anything less than a super effort will result in a sub par performance for us. What we have to do as a team is play well enough to win on that particular day and correct the mistakes later.

At times the defense is going to carry the offense in vise versa. Sometimes special teams will lead the way, which is why this is called a team game.

Speaking from the game itself we have a few things to correct on both sides of the ball. What we have to do is show a sense of urgency to get these things corrected. Not perfect but show a conscious effort to not make the same mistakes, which I guess is why the COWBOY FAITHFUL are really concerned. I will say we have to show vast improvement over the next week because the ride is about to start moving real fast.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (6) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2315751 said:
What we have to do is show a sense of urgency to get these things corrected.

My question is why don't we have a sense of urgency?

Sonny#9

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2315751 said:
Still 4-1

4:44 AM Tue, Oct 07, 2008 | the Bengals (a good football team)

Just out of curiosity, did Wade Phillips write this article?

The Bengals are not a good football team. They're 19th in total defense (29th rush, 6th pass -- mostly b/c they have faced 190 rushing attempts -- most in the league), and 32nd in total offense (30th rush, 27th pass).

There is no reason this team should not have been crushed by the much more talented Cowboys. There was such a lackadaisical feel after the Boys went up 17. It almost seems as if they are believing their own press.

P.S. -- I am not trying to talk smack -- this is honestly what I see.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Sonny#9;2315837 said:
Just out of curiosity, did Wade Phillips write this article?

The Bengals are not a good football team. They're 19th in total defense (29th rush, 6th pass -- mostly b/c they have faced 190 rushing attempts -- most in the league), and 32nd in total offense (30th rush, 27th pass).

There is no reason this team should not have been crushed by the much more talented Cowboys. There was such a lackadaisical feel after the Boys went up 17. It almost seems as if they are believing their own press.

P.S. -- I am not trying to talk smack -- this is honestly what I see.

They had a lead on the giants with 3:00 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. We made a couple of mistakes on special teams and romos interception that allowed them to keep it close and have a chance in the end.

However the giants were outplayed by the bengals. THey were losing inside of 4 minutes of the 4th qtr at home to them. The bengals screwed up their 2 minute drill and let about 25 seconds run off the clock inside the giants 25 yard line and had to settle for the chip shot FG. Had they not had confusion in the play call there is a good chance palmer throws the game winning TD.

Its pretty funny to me. The giants got credit for that win. They were told that is why they are champions because they can peservere when they dont play well and find a way to comeback and win. Cincy was missing two defensive starters that day. They played sunday. So did chris henry.

When Dallas beats them, even only by 9:rolleyes:, the whole world stops down and starts predicting doom.

We never trailed them at any point. The longest drive we gave up was 50 yards. We didnt play our best but we still won by 9. Yet it is never good enough. The media, the fans and opposing teams obsess over Dallas and every single thing they do.

Its comical to me. Giants had to come back to win and they are praised. We win by 9 against a healthier bengals team and we are now out of the playoffs and coaches should be fired.

I love it. I hope everyones fans and the media keep it up. This team has all the tools. The missing piece in the end could be the talking heads telling them what they cant do at the end of the year. I hope the nonsense continues. IF we are able to only beat the cardinal by 9 this week there will be another meltdwon. I mean, kurt warner might complete a few passes and romo might throw a few incompletions or dare I say an INT. And all the national know nothings will jump on them.

I sure hope we win these next three and the giants do to. I want the giants 7-0 with us going up there. No one will give us a chance and the giants will talk all kinds of trash. This whole season in the east is about what happens november 2nd and on. I hope everyone counts out Dallas each and every week.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:
They had a lead on the giants with 3:00 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. We made a couple of mistakes on special teams and romos interception that allowed them to keep it close and have a chance in the end.

However the giants were outplayed by the bengals. THey were losing inside of 4 minutes of the 4th qtr at home to them. The bengals screwed up their 2 minute drill and let about 25 seconds run off the clock inside the giants 25 yard line and had to settle for the chip shot FG. Had they not had confusion in the play call there is a good chance palmer throws the game winning TD.

Its pretty funny to me. The giants got credit for that win. They were told that is why they are champions because they can peservere when they dont play well and find a way to comeback and win. Cincy was missing two defensive starters that day. They played sunday. So did chris henry.

When Dallas beats them, even only by 9:rolleyes:, the whole world stops down and starts predicting doom.

We never trailed them at any point. The longest drive we gave up was 50 yards. We didnt play our best but we still won by 9. Yet it is never good enough. The media, the fans and opposing teams obsess over Dallas and every single thing they do.

Its comical to me. Giants had to come back to win and they are praised. We win by 9 against a healthier bengals team and we are now out of the playoffs and coaches should be fired.

I love it. I hope everyones fans and the media keep it up. This team has all the tools. The missing piece in the end could be the talking heads telling them what they cant do at the end of the year. I hope the nonsense continues. IF we are able to only beat the cardinal by 9 this week there will be another meltdwon. I mean, kurt warner might complete a few passes and romo might throw a few incompletions or dare I say an INT. And all the national know nothings will jump on them.

I sure hope we win these next three and the giants do to. I want the giants 7-0 with us going up there. No one will give us a chance and the giants will talk all kinds of trash. This whole season in the east is about what happens november 2nd and on. I hope everyone counts out Dallas each and every week.

Remember last year after we thrashed the Eagles at the Linc 38-17. INSTEAD of ENJOYING this BLOWOUT win, a LONG thread got started on here whining and complaning over Jacques Reeves giving up that long pass play to Reggie Brown.

One poster pointed out that the field was sloppy, and Reeves had to adjust his cleets after that play.(which was actually true) But then another poster responded by calling him a BLIND HOMER and how Reeves somehow almost costed us the game by giving up that long pass play to a mediocre receiver. It just got ugly from there.

Yeah-here in DFW, it seems like everyone has a bad case of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So tired of this excuse making. We have a bullseye. The world is against us. That winless team is better than their record. We are Dallas so everyone wants to beat us and we are their Superbowl. Blah, blah blah.

Step up and say, we should have crushed them and we didn't but we're 4-1 and there's still a lot of football left. Is that so hard?

We aren't trying to beat the "better than their record" Bengals here, we're trying to knock the Giants, Titans, etc off. We're after the best teams in the league, not scraping by against a team as disfunctional as the Bengals.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
In short, many think the Bengals are a bad team. I don't think so. I don't believe their record represents them at all.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Didn't read the blog yet, but let me guess...

It's more "Waaaaa, waaaa! The media and fans expect too much from us! Waaaa! Waaaa!"

Am I close?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Seven;2316030 said:
In short, many think the Bengals are a bad team. I don't think so. I don't believe their record represents them at all.

Having lived in New Orleans for years, as horrible as the Saints have always been, it's not like they were blown out every single time. In 95% of their losses, they played close games, but ultimately found like 1000 ways to lose(i.e. that '99 game against the new-franchise Browns where they lost on a hail mary at the end).

Pt being that teams that are horrible doesn't necessarily mean they LOOK horrible scoreboard-wise. It's b/c most of the time when the game is on the line, they can't consistently make plays b/c of poor coaching, poor leadership, etc, etc.

The same can be said for the Bengals-they may be competitive, but the subpar coaching and leadership on this team has been their ultimately undoing.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:

Best point I have read in a long time, Theebs. :thankyou:

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Good points by Burnett. This team is probably real happy to be going on the road this week.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2316072 said:
Good points by Burnett. This team is probably real happy to be going on the road this week.

What is so odd about them is that they complain when on the road (preseason) but yet some of their biggest wins the last few years have been on the road. Usually it is the other way around.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Seven;2316030 said:

You don't think 0-5 is a good representation of a team? You are saying they are better than being winless so far this season? Well they certainly can't be any worse than their record, so I guess, yeah, there is a possibility they are better than it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Ok, I can understand teams getting up for us, but aren't they doing the same thing against the Superbowl Champ Giants who are smashing who they are supposed to smash, i.e, the Seahawks and other vulnerable teams. They sure took it to the Redkskins.

KB you are a cool football playing dude and deserve to have more reps because you are very good but I didn't know you were a serious spin doctor.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:

You're missing the whole point.

It's not about the final score. It's about how they played and how the players react to criticism from fans and media.

You need to differentiate between the two.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;2316126 said:
You're missing the whole point.

It's not about the final score. It's about how they played and how the players react to criticism from fans and media.

You need to differentiate between the two.
I think you're under the mistaken assumption that people that act like idiots (the crybaby fans) should be appeased. No, they should be called out as idiots.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:

I didn't give them credit. The only team they've beaten that has any hope at the post season is the Skins. They will face a much different team at Fed Ex in 6 weeks. Seattle is not good -- and they were playing on the road, which makes them worse. St. Louis blows. And Cincy blows.

They have a very soft front half, but a brutal 2nd half. After Cleveland and the 9ers, they go:

at Pittsburgh
vs. Dallas
at Philly
vs. Baltimore
at Arizona
at Washington
vs. Philly
at Dallas
vs. Carolina
at Minnesota

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2316132 said:
I think you're under the mistaken assumption that people that act like idiots (the crybaby fans) should be appeased. No, they should be called out as idiots.

You're missing the point as well.

Even if the fans are acting like idiots, it's about how the players react to such.

And what do you mean by "acting like idiots" anyway? If having higher expectations from their team than other all other teams' fans have for their teams, then go ahead and call me an idiot.

If the players can't handle those expectations, they can go ahead and ask to be traded to arizona where an 8-8 season is considered a success.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;2316140 said:
You're missing the point as well.

Even if the fans are acting like idiots, it's about how the players react to such.

And what do you mean by "acting like idiots" anyway? If having higher expectations from their team than other all other teams' fans have for their teams, then go ahead and call me an idiot.

If the players can't handle those expectations, they can go ahead and ask to be traded to arizona where an 8-8 season is considered a success.
I think you misread. I talked about the "reaction" to the fans. They shouldn't be appeased, as you're suggesting. They should be ridiculed.