DMN Cowlishaw Blog: Let's play the Romo game

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:19 PM Mon, Oct 06, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim Cowlishaw http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Lots of emails today defending Tony Romo after I referred to him as the fourth-best quarterback in the NFC East.

Note: I said that was just the current situation, that he made the Pro Bowl over his East counterparts last year and could do it again. These things are fluid.

So let's play the Tony Romo game as in: How many quarterbacks would you take over him right now?

My answer: Only four.

You have to start with a healthy Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. They have earned it. I'm not saying trade Romo for Manning -- you wouldn't be inclined to do that because of the age difference. I'm just saying you would do it for today.

One of the other two plays tonight. I think you take Drew Brees over Romo. They're similar enough that if you told me I had to have Romo on my team instead of Brees, I wouldn't mind. But I think I'd take Brees if given the choice.

The other is Denver's Jay Cutler. Of all the young quarterbacks in the league, he has the best arm. He's going to put up amazing numbers in that offense.
I wouldn't take any of the NFC East quarterbacks over Romo because I think Romo will play better. And I'm not sure Campbell can maintain this level in Washington.

Who do you take over Romo?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Still don't understand why anyone would take Cutler. As predicted his numbers have started falling behind Romo's. He's simply reverting to his mean, whereas Romo's been underperforming.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;2316180 said:
Still don't understand why anyone would take Cutler. As predicted his numbers have started falling behind Romo's. He's simply reverting to his mean, whereas Romo's been underperforming.

It's Cowlishaw. He's too busy doing his hair and makeup to actually watch the games.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So by 4th best QB in the NFC East he meant 5th best QB in the NFL, with none of the other 3 in the NFC coming before him? Interesting.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Campbell is hardly playing spectacular football. He's just not making mistakes, and Portis is tearing it up right now.

He's being exactly the kind of QB that Parcells wanted when he was here.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2316280 said:
Campbell is hardly playing spectacular football. He's just not making mistakes, and Portis is tearing it up right now.

He's being exactly the kind of QB that Parcells wanted when he was here.

You have to have on blinders to think that Campbell is not playing great football. Mistake free football is generally considered a good thing.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
TheCount;2316265 said:
So by 4th best QB in the NFC East he meant 5th best QB in the NFL, with none of the other 3 in the NFC coming before him? Interesting.
He would have worded it much better by saying that the other 3 NFCE QBs are playing better than Romo right now. At least I think that's what he's saying he meant.

Though McNabb isn't scaring anyone at the moment.

Long-term, I think Manning is the only QB that anyone could consider over Romo. He's razor-sharp right now, and not making many mistakes. He was almost perfect Sunday, even without his best WR. I don't know that anyone would expect Tony to do that. Maybe the Giants 2nd to 5th WRs are just that much better than ours.

Personally, I've criticized Romo a lot. I do that not because I think he stinks, but because I think he's a much better player than he's shown most of this year. Some have criticized the pick he threw Sunday as a force, but when you saw that play from the end zone, he had room to get it to Witten...he just made a bad throw. Same as he did on the throw that Crayton dropped. Same as on other throws. He's just off right now.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think baby Manning is playing pretty dang good too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2316136 said:
So let's play the Tony Romo game as in: How many quarterbacks would you take over him right now?

My answer: Only four.

You have to start with a healthy Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
Brady? yes. Manning no. I'd go with Elli over Peyton.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must be confused. He says Romo is the fourth best QB in the NFC EAST and then later goes on to talk about Brady, Manning, Cutler and Brees.

:laugh2:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2316338 said:
I must be confused. He says Romo is the fourth best QB in the NFC EAST and then later goes on to talk about Brady, Manning, Cutler and Brees.
:laugh2:

you're laughing but you didn't seem to comprehend the context of what he wrote. :laugh2:

Romo, this season, is playing like the 3rd best QB in the East at this time (Donny is done and never was that great but whatever). that will hopefully change.

What is actually laughable however is trying to spin playing mistake-free football as a hinderance "Campbell is hardly playing spectacular football. He's just not making mistakes". it's a shame jerruh and many fans seem to think this way.

ddh33

Reaction score
The top tier of QBs has been Peyton Manning and Tom Brady for a while. You give them the higher ranking.

Romo is in the next tier. Brees is probably there with him. Eli may be moving into that level if he continues to play well and not make mistakes. Favre is still around, and I think he can safely be in this mix; if you wanted to put him higher because of his resume, I could understand it. Roethlisberger has a lot of fans, but he's a little uneven for me.

So anyway I cut it, Tony Romo is still one of the five best QBs in the world.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo will surpass them all. Just give it time. What will Tim Cowlidung write about then?

MONT17

Reaction score
Eli is playin great and jerry should take some notes on how to acquire weapons for a young QB via the draft! Jerry never really respected Aikman mistake free foootball until it was too late anyone recall Randal Cunninghams days with Jerry?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Manning and Brady, just because they are proven winners.

Romo's turn overs need to be cut down...the two QBs listed above manage the game so well.

Brees has been pretty good, so I can see the point that Cowlishaw is making. I think with those two it might well be a wash.