News: DMN: Gosselin: After several key additions, the Commanders know the NFC East is theirs in 2016

Aven8

Reaction score
Elliott may not have much of a choice if McFadden pulls a hamstring or something as usual. Prescott will be one to watch of course, I have a feeling he will play streetball against reserves to the point people start thinking he is the answer.

Nailed it here with Dak! I can hear it now. People were clamoring for Showers for crying out loud around here! Lol, give me a break!

erod

Reaction score
If this was Dallas, Gosselin would have said:

"The Cowboys took a huge risk and might have overpaid Kirk Cousins in desperation. Josh Doctson will take a few years to develop like most receivers, so he won't make a big impact this year. Norman was a system corner in Carolina, and he wasn't worth a contract like that."

It's as predictable as the day is long.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If this was Dallas, Gosselin would have said:

"The Cowboys took a huge risk and might have overpaid Kirk Cousins in desperation. Josh Doctson will take a few years to develop like most receivers, so he won't make a big impact this year. Norman was a system corner in Carolina, and he wasn't worth a contract like that."

It's as predictable as the day is long.

And our fans would be chiding our 'GM' not leaving the decisions to the football people, lol.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:
Question: Now that the draft and free agency are over, which NFC East team do you think will be the Cowboys' biggest test in winning the division? 

Gosselin: The Commanders. They won it last year when they were trying to figure out their quarterback position. Now it appears the position has been figured out with Kirk Cousins. They also have given him this season one of college football's best receivers, Josh Doctson. The defense has added one of the 2-3 best cornerbacks in the game in Josh Norman. This is now a better team than the 2015 club that won the division. They were hoping they could be good a year ago. They know they can be good now. 

Question: I've recently read articles/analyses that demonstrate that no team is either more or less successful drafting than any other team. This, despite all the prognosticators trumpeting their knowledge or "inside" information. Patriots v. Cowboys? No statistical difference. In fact, data seems to indicate that certain teams' success is predicated more on efforts made by teams to justify their drafting decisions by using players in a way they might not be used if picked by other teams in a different drafting scenario. Your thoughts? 

Gosselin: Drafting can have an impact more than "luck of the draw." I always go back to what Ron Wolf did with the Packers in the 1990s, routinely drafting Pro Bowl players in the fourth through seventh rounds.He drafted a dozen Pro Bowl players in the later rounds from 1992-2001. He clearly knew something about certain players that others did not. If they couldn't play, they would never have seen the field. I've always believed anyone can draft in the first three rounds. That's when all the All-Americas and Heisman Trophy winners go. But what you do from the fourth through seventh rounds is what can make a good draft late. Seattle seems to find players in the later rounds. Everyone had a chance at Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor. But it was Seattle that drafted both in the fifth round.

Question: Where would you set the over/under for Ezekiel Elliott's rushing yards as a rookie? 

Gosselin: I think Vegas has set it at 900. I'd put it at 1,000. If he can stay healthy, I could see him rushing for 1,200 yards behind this blocking front. He'll enter the season as the favorite for NFL Rookie of the Year honors.

Click here to view a full transcript of the chat.

Continue reading...

Commanders made some very nice moves but LOL at this being their division..

It will take injuries for them to repeat. Otherwise the Cowboys or Giants will win the East.

They are the 1 team we managed to beat without Romo last year too...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm looking through the OP and don't see Gossilin ever saying he thinks Washington is better than Dallas.

All he said was that they should be better than they were last year and should be Dallas' biggest challenge.

Last edited:

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
It's all about 9..... If Romo plays close to where he was in 2014, then the Cowboys will run away with the East...

jday

Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:
Question: Now that the draft and free agency are over, which NFC East team do you think will be the Cowboys' biggest test in winning the division? 

Gosselin: The Commanders. They won it last year when they were trying to figure out their quarterback position. Now it appears the position has been figured out with Kirk Cousins. They also have given him this season one of college football's best receivers, Josh Doctson. The defense has added one of the 2-3 best cornerbacks in the game in Josh Norman. This is now a better team than the 2015 club that won the division. They were hoping they could be good a year ago. They know they can be good now. 

Question: I've recently read articles/analyses that demonstrate that no team is either more or less successful drafting than any other team. This, despite all the prognosticators trumpeting their knowledge or "inside" information. Patriots v. Cowboys? No statistical difference. In fact, data seems to indicate that certain teams' success is predicated more on efforts made by teams to justify their drafting decisions by using players in a way they might not be used if picked by other teams in a different drafting scenario. Your thoughts? 

Gosselin: Drafting can have an impact more than "luck of the draw." I always go back to what Ron Wolf did with the Packers in the 1990s, routinely drafting Pro Bowl players in the fourth through seventh rounds.He drafted a dozen Pro Bowl players in the later rounds from 1992-2001. He clearly knew something about certain players that others did not. If they couldn't play, they would never have seen the field. I've always believed anyone can draft in the first three rounds. That's when all the All-Americas and Heisman Trophy winners go. But what you do from the fourth through seventh rounds is what can make a good draft late. Seattle seems to find players in the later rounds. Everyone had a chance at Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor. But it was Seattle that drafted both in the fifth round.

Question: Where would you set the over/under for Ezekiel Elliott's rushing yards as a rookie? 

Gosselin: I think Vegas has set it at 900. I'd put it at 1,000. If he can stay healthy, I could see him rushing for 1,200 yards behind this blocking front. He'll enter the season as the favorite for NFL Rookie of the Year honors.

Continue reading...

Nevermind the fact that the Division-wide epic failure and bad luck essentially gift wrapped the division for them. Who ever picks Washington to win the division with any amount of certainty is not worthy of being described as credible..or, for the matter, sane.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Goose is an idiot. The only good contribution he ever made was his old draft stuff, but apparently he got lazy and just stopped wanting to do any analysis at all, as evidenced by most of his ramblings these days.

That being said, the Skins are quietly putting together a team.. I think they're still a year away from being a good ballclub, but if Cousins works out they have some potential now that theyre actually being run by a real GM.

The Giants are easily our biggest compeitition for the East. I think if everyone stays healthy Dallas and NY will both make the playoffs.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If he is half a competitor, he plays his rear end off in preseason since with just a little bit of success, he is the backup instead of Moore. If he plays it conservative to put "what he has learned on tape" for other teams, then that is selling himself short. And when I say streetball, I am talking improv plays when the time calls for it. Romo did the same thing his first preseason and while it drove the coaches crazy, it showed them part of his character.

Disagree. How he is playing NFL ball including reading defenses and the film room/skull sessions will have more to do with where he ends up than playing well against scrubs. If he does well in the rehearsal game (#3) against the Bigs then maybe but I doubt he'll have enough knowledge about the game given his background and one camp and a few preseason games.

Moore needs to have taken a step though because if there is not much difference (doubtful) then he is expendable unless Dak is just lost.

bh32

Reaction score
Wow..Some of these comments about the Commanders being nothing but a speed bump for the Cowboys is laughable..lol

ringmaster

Reaction score

Continue reading...
Rick Gosselin is total trash as a sportswriter he takes great in bashing everything Cowboys which is a moot point as for the Commanders they had a solid draft no question about it and they made the hugest splash in FA in prying Josh Norman, away from the Panthers. I will say this they can win this division but if the Cowboys can remain healthy we can definitely win this division as imo the NFC East will be a tough division in 2016.

dfense

Reaction score
Gosselin = idiot

Maybe the Skins can work on actually beating a Dallas team with Romo first. He hung a 40+ burger on them last time in their house.
Then they're the only team Dallas beats in their house again, without Romo last year.

The last time Washington beat Dallas in Washington was in 2012. Can't wait for week 2. I hope Morris gets 3 TDs.

"You like that?" -KC

garyv

Reaction score
Commanders made some very nice moves but LOL at this being their division..

It will take injuries for them to repeat. Otherwise the Cowboys or Giants will win the East.

They are the 1 team we managed to beat without Romo last year too...

Honestly if Romo didn't go down I still think the Cowboys would have won the division. We don't click without Romo
and management has done a lousy job for finding his replacement.