DMN Media Blog: Aikman-Esiason debate Romo-Manning...Bengals-Cowboys Early Report

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
<H3 class=entry-header>Tony Romo and his blonde admirer

11:02 AM Mon, Oct 06, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Troy Aikman was on Boomer Esiason's radio show in New York this morning when this subject came up:

Tony Romo vs. Eli Manning...if you were starting a team who would you take?

Troy went for Romo. "I honestly do not say that because of my affiliation with the Dallas Cowboys. I see him making more plays."

Boomer, a Manning groupie: "Can't take away that Super Bowl ring. It always comes back to the big game and Tony Romo hasn't showed that yet."

Troy ended the discussion pointing out that the Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won his Super Bowl before Peyton Manning won his. Said Aikman: "I think he's (Romo) going to win more than one Super Bowl.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0)Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Cowboys-Bengals: early report

9:35 AM Mon, Oct 06, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

I. The Cowboys-Bengals didn't draw quite as much interest as Cowboys games against the Eagles, Packers and Commanders but that's not really much of a surprise. Sunday's game attracted a 32.5 rating (809,250 homes). It ranks fourth for the season, ahead of only the season opener against the Browns. The AFC North just doesn't have much sex appeal down here. The Steelers would come closest to NFC East-like interest.

II. As we suspected, Fox Sports in New York wanted to send Dallas-Fort Worth the NFC East battle between the Commanders and Eagles. It was Channel 4 that over-ruled the decision and opted for the the Giants-Seahawks mismatch. Weren't viewers surprised to see that not only did they get the wrong game before the second half switch, it was a low-def affair. And someone forgot to turn off Tony Siragusa's microphone.

III. When CBS' Jim Nantz described Marion Barber as "a little combination of Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders" I suspect he was using hyperbole.

IV. Then again, just when you started thinking "Canton" after Felix Jones' 33-yard sweep for a TD, CBS analyst Phil Simms credited the Bengals defense for the effort: "Tremendous mistake by the Bengals defense...I'll just say this (Jones) shouldn't have gotten to four yards."

V. Last week it was the wide receivers in the ESPN studio teeing off on T.O. Sunday it was the quarterbacks on the CBS studio set. Boomer Esiason: "There's no question he is utterly a distraction to every quarterback he's ever played with." Dan Marino: "It's getting old."

VI. And then Bill Cowher, a pretty good NFL coach in his day, offered this thought: "The bottom line is, he won't destroy the Cowboys as long as they don't try to make him happy." I'm thinking that means the old coach thinks the Cowboys shouldn't handle T.O. with extreme care. That, however, is not likely to happen.

VII. Meanwhile over at Fox, Michael Strahan, wearing a freshly minted Super Bowl ring, weighed in: "I understand that players have a need to complain. I did it. But you never let your complaining effect your quest for a championship. It's never going to be a smooth ride to a championship...My advice to (T.O) is to go into the locker room and find Marion Barber. Just look at the guy. He only touched the ball eight times last week but you never heard one word. He doesn't have the stats, money, accolades or fame you have. But he has it exactly right and that's the type of attitude that will win you a ring. And I want you to have one."

VIII. CBS offers the purest production of a NFL game. No gimmicks. No shtick. No sideline reporters.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I would have to go with Romo too. I like his confidence, Elli has a bad play or two and he crawls into a shell. Now he might be different this season, I have yet to see the Gmen play.

As bad as Romo can look at times yesterday was what I liked. He managed to pull it off some how. He even had a good laugh after the Romo to Austin to Crayton play.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Not that it matters but Aikman ultimately 'choosing' Romo over Manning would echo what a lot of football fans would likely say too, IMHO...Romo isn't quite there, completely, but his upside is a lot better than Manning's...Not that it matters a whole lot

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Brad Johnson > Tony Romo

Hey, Brad's been able to win the big game.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
VII. Meanwhile over at Fox, Michael Strahan, wearing a freshly minted Super Bowl ring, weighed in: "I understand that players have a need to complain. I did it. But you never let your complaining effect your quest for a championship. It's never going to be a smooth ride to a championship...My advice to (T.O) is to go into the locker room and find Marion Barber. Just look at the guy. He only touched the ball eight times last week but you never heard one word. He doesn't have the stats, money, accolades or fame you have. But he has it exactly right and that's the type of attitude that will win you a ring. And I want you to have one."

Well said Mike.:)

FCBarca

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2313002 said:

He's right...And seeing how well the Giants performed with a 5th string WR in place of suspended star Plaxico is telling too

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
theogt;2312986 said:
Brad Johnson > Tony Romo

Hey, Brad's been able to win the big game.

perfect analogy. nice job.

oh Trent Dilfer > Tony Romo. Who would you decide on?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What the heck does Aikman know. We've all heard here that we will never ever win a SB with Tony Turnover Romo as our QB. :rolleyes:

FCBarca

Reaction score
jobberone;2313114 said:
What the heck does Aikman know. We've all heard here that we will never ever win a SB with Tony Turnover Romo as our QB. :rolleyes:

Aikman has said that?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I will say this. 365 days ago this question was laughable.

Eli has came a very long way. But he just isn't the playmaker that Romo is.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2313002 said:

I have to agree,Strahans comments are correct,and surprised the hell outta me too!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
FCBarca;2313015 said:
He's right...And seeing how well the Giants performed with a 5th string WR in place of suspended star Plaxico is telling too

Exactly.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
djdoug;2313344 said:
I have to agree,Strahans comments are correct,and surprised the hell outta me too!
You actually had to hear it to appreciate the sentiment. He was sincere.

His comments were the final wrap-up of the show. And he reiterated by saying T.O. is a great player and deserves a ring.

FCBarca

Reaction score
CATCH17;2313191 said:
I will say this. 365 days ago this question was laughable.

Eli has came a very long way. But he just isn't the playmaker that Romo is.

Also goes to show you this is a NOW league...One day you're the toast of town, next you're out with yesterday's news

jjktkk

Reaction score
jobberone;2313114 said:
jobberone, hitting the sauce a little early aren't you? LOL, You're joking, right? What the heck would a HOF QB, whose won 3 Super titles know about NFL QB's. Don't think i will be reading your MMQB columns anytime soon. :lmao2: :confused: :lmao2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Nice endorsment from Aikman. I heard the Strahan stuff yesterday as well, since that's the pregame show I willingly watch, and I thought it was cool. He did seem quite genuine about it.

I think Jobberone was making a sarcastic remark about the fans here who seem to think we're never going to win cause Tony turns it over too much. Apparently that joke either went over everyone elses head or I'm a complete idiot who gave him too much credit for being funny.

Plumfool

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2312957 said:
<H3 class=entry-header>Tony Romo and his blonde admirer

<snip>

VIII. CBS offers the purest production of a NFL game. No gimmicks. No shtick. No sideline reporters.

Mike knows where TO's coming from. But also is giving good advice.