DMN: National predictions: It's close, but analysts say Eagles have better chance to win NFC East

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
National predictions: It's close, but analysts say Eagles have better chance to win NFC East than Cowboys

Follow @SportsDayDFW
Published: 06 September 2015 10:41 PM
Updated: 07 September 2015 01:12 AM

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/incoming/20150906-ns_14cowseaglesvb29_41278907.jpg.ece/BINARY/w940/NS_14COWSEAGLESVB29_41278907.JPG

How will the Dallas Cowboys perform this season?

With the start of the season less than a week away, there's only so much more time to speculate as to how the season is going to play out.

Below are some predictions on how the Cowboys will finish the season.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...etter-chance-to-win-nfc-east-than-cowboys.ece

Sabin: What Christine Michael has that other three Cowboys RBs don't; has void DeMarco Murray left been filled?
  • Report: Cowboys sign former Boise State QB Kellen Moore
  • Strengths, concerns for Dallas Cowboys' four running backs
  • Cowboys trade for Seahawks running back Christine Michael
  • Gosselin's NFL team rankings: Are Cowboys among elite group?
  • Updated Sunday: A look at the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man roster

Nav22

Reaction score
Good. I love the East Coast bias/Cowboys hate in times like this.

Eagles running an up-tempo offense in which their QB, who's coming off a torn ACL, is jogging to the line of scrimmage after virtually every snap. What could possibly go wrong!?!?

I especially love the notion that their lack of WRs, lack of pass rush, and QB who's clearly inferior to Romo somehow are smaller issues than our questions at RB behind a dominant offensive line.

Why on Earth should we be scared of their RBs again? Did they not win the division last year because LeSean McCoy wasn't a good enough player?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
and?

new qb, new system, new rb, new wrs...but yea, that will magically gel. even when we had aikman come to the cowboys and setup our huge run of success, it took is a few years to put things together and things to fall into place.

what is the current over/under on how many games until bradford it out for the year?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL analysts? lol. The article notes Gregg Rosenthal, Michael Silver, Steve Wyche, Marc Sessler, Neil Paine, Sam Farmer, Neil Greenberg, Doug Farrar and Chris Burke as NFL analysts--writers who didn't play the sport or perhaps even sports period.

Bucky Brooks was the only proclaimed NFL analyst worth mentioning, having played the sport at the college and professional level. Of course, he bounced around the league in five years with five different teams mostly as a kick returner. Brooks' opinion? According to the article, Brooks is hedging his bets that the league will not be able to stop Kelly's offense. As far as defense is concerned, Brooks says:
The prolific offenses in the NFC East overshadow their defensive brethren, but the division should feature more competitive units in 2015. The Cowboys and Eagles, in particular, are vastly improved, with a series of personnel moves upgrading the talent in key areas. Dallas snatched up a pair of pass rushers in Greg Hardy and rookie Randy Gregory who can destroy opponents off the edges; in Hardy, Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence, the Cowboys have a three-headed monster to unleash on quarterbacks in the pocket. With cornerback Orlando Scandrick out, passers could "dink-and-dunk" the ball down the field, but coordinator Rod Marinelli's insistence on energy, effort and hustle could negate the "catch-and-run" approach.

The Eagles signed Byron Maxwell to serve as CB1 and added Eric Rowe to compete for a starting role on the opposite side. Walter Thurmond gives the team a versatile free safety with sub-package potential (nickel corner) to enhance nickel and dime coverage. If the Eagles can continue to pressure the passer with consistent success, Chip Kelly's spirited bunch could spark a run to Super Bowl 50.
Hardy, in particular, is a Pro Bowl-caliber pass rusher with a knack for getting to the quarterback... Gregory was universally viewed as a first-round talent for most of the pre-draft process... If he quickly develops as a situational player and DeMarcus Lawrence continues to grow as a young pass rusher, the Cowboys suddenly have a deep and talented rotation that will strike fear in the hearts of quarterbacks around the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...efensive-divisions-afc-east-nfc-west-dominate
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-dolphins-top-most-improved-defensive-lines

Even though Brooks acknowledges the NFC East owns prolific offenses in addition to Philadelphia's, the Eagles will prevail with projected secondary upgrades--while Dallas' projected most improved defensive line in the league (his thoughts on the matter, not mind) will not be an overwhelming factor.

Fair enough. We'll see.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I seriously believe Bradford will be substantially injured by mid season, I do no not wish it upon him but I believe opposing teams are going to attack him with a fury.

The Eagles Offensive line lacks not only depth but lost their pro bowl G this off season. Moffitt was signed to offset the loss and he has been horrible. They are weak at RG with Gardner manning the spot.

Our DL especially Crawford and crew should have success up the middle of this line, DLaw should have fun with their right tackle.

The Eagles have excelled in preseason play but they are about to play games that matter, where defenses will be game planning and attacking the QB while stopping their running attack.

Defensively, they are still weak in the secondary which Dez, Beaz and TWILL will exploit during our games against them, other teams will also follow the pattern.

Their LB core is coming off substantial injuries, Ryans (Achilles) and Kiko (ACL) with Kendricks even missing four games last season with a calf injury and they have looked terrible this preseason.

Their kicker is struggling and has a groin injury as well.

Only time will tell but those picking the Eagles so early have not been very team critical of their weaknesses and apparently are instead enamoured with their preseason offensive success.

Last edited:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
People get bent out of shape about these but it isn't like people are saying Eagles in a landslide. I think the Eagles have a good chance as well. Murray brings them the ability to stay ahead of the chains, their crossing route style of offense means that WR is a luxury not a necessity and their front 7 on defense is highly effective. Fletcher Cox is a one man destroyer.

They aren't a flawless team by any means but they have capability. I think ultimately letting Mathis go was their biggest mistake - guard has become an undervalued position in the league.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
and last year how many of us thought Dallas would be 8-8 again, raises my hand. And how does winning the super bowl in the league of parity work again, oh yea, last years losers are this years winners. Means nothing and less than that. Just a bunch of people realizing their work is meaningless but still tries to pull a fast one. this is like when all the analysts say the Lions are their sleeper team every year. Every year the Lions never fail at a chance to make people cry.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
If the Cowboys had collapsed the way the Eagles collapsed last year down the stretch, we would have never heard the end of it. Chippy gets a pass though because he is a 'Genius'!

I think he got a pass because he was forced to start Mark Sanchez for like 7 games after Foles got hurt.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Eagles are "smoke and mirrors". It worked for a while last year but the NFL teams know it's coming this year.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I especially love the notion that their lack of WRs.

This to me is the biggest thing the media are glossing over. Rookie and Matthews starting, I think that unit is at least as questionable as Dallas' running backs.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
But Sanchez played better than Foles.

Didn't say the pass was justified! I think they would have faltered with either QB which just makes the trade all the scarier. Both Foles and Sanchez struggled with accuracy too often. Bradford doesn't have that same issue.

Ken

Reaction score
I think he got a pass because he was forced to start Mark Sanchez for like 7 games after Foles got hurt.

It didn't stop them on Thanksgiving though? He wasn't the reason they didn't win down the stretch...