Do people really believe there is a better option than Dak this year?

pansophy

Reaction score
You do realize the things I see during the eyeball test with Dak are also things the NFL scouts saw.
Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner
Saw over 5 years ago when he played in college? Surely even the those who dislike Dak believe he has improved since his rookie year.

I don’t think Dak is going anywhere either, but if the Bengals would do a sign and trade of Dak and swap #1 picks I’d definitely think about it. 5 more years of cheap QB play could do a lot for the rest of the roster. Dak is definitely good enough to win. Is he, or any QB, good enough to justify the size of the cap QBs are getting?

HungryLion

Reaction score
No but he puts so much preassure on other teams that they will commit errors.

Doi you really think our team forgot about how to tackle from 1 year to the other ?

You make more errors or get sloppy with your technique when you constantly have to give 100%. When you are playing lesser competition you can play at 80% and still beat them. At 80% you dont make so many mistakes, and look a lot better on tape.

First of all, you can’t blame a bunch of the defenses problems for the offense. The cowboys offense was first in yards and 6th in scoring. They weren’t perfect but they were not putting the defense at a constant disadvantage. So blaming the defenses issues on the offense is nonsense. Pure nonsense.

Second, Brady isn’t that guy anymore. I believe he is the GOAT but age has caught up to him. He isn’t as sharp as he once was. Or at least, doesn’t appear to be. The clock is undefeated after all.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Every day I read a new thread about that QB who is going to somehow make us look like a genius for not signing Dak.

-- Matthew Stafford? Didn't anyone learn with Aikman what happens to an immobile QB over 30 with a bad back?
-- Teddy Bridgewater? How many games has he proven himself in his career since 2015? You realize he never threw more than 14 TDs a year before his injury?
-- Philip Rivers? He almost threw more interceptions than TDs in his worst year ever. He was booed out of the stadium by his own fans his last game!
-- Tom Brady? He turns 43 this year! I repeat, he turns 43! I didn't even trust myself jumping off my truck tailgate at 43. Nevermind a QB in the NFL!
-- Insert whichever QB is the flavor of the moment.

Here we have a 26 year old QB about to enter the prime of his career. Except for one sophomore slump, he has pulled in terrific numbers and wins every year. I won't post the repeat stat threads that show how Dak lines up well against all the recent great QBs in most significant stats and wins numbers. He's not a choker in the Playoffs. He just got done with a record year on a team that had given up on its head coach, and oh yeah, he tried to close it out with more than one significant injury. We'll never see him in a rape or wife beater headline, we'll never see the team give up on him or him isolate them with his primadonna act. He IS high grade quality individual, tough as nails, and this is about as safe a contract as you can gamble on.

You want to rally against him because he won't sign for the same as the last QB free agent? Fine. But look at the competition above. His agent isn't stupid. Someone will pony up $40 million a year for Dak. He is the only one on the list who guarantees you 7 years of a franchise QB.

If you want to have a serious QB debate, why not talk about some 2nd-4th round draft pick bargains that could become the next... gulp... Dak! Just in case we have to franchise him and it goes south. I look forward to someone telling me who that next hidden draft pick is who could play Tony Romo into retirement.

There is hope for CZ!!! CLEARLY there are other dynamics and factors that go into CZ's undying hatred for our QB way beyond football. From a numbers, character perspective, I'm encouraged by Dak.

:hammer::yourock::flagwave::clap:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your expectations must be very low for our Cowboys if you believe Dak is the one and there are no other and better options out there.
Yes, we believe we can do better than Dak and that's not really saying much considering his low talent base!
Tell us who these better options are. People are really good about saying we need an "elite" QB, but very bad about how to realistically accomplish that. There are only a handful of "elite" QB's, and several of those few came into the league 15-20 years ago, which proves they are very hard to come by.

Sydla

Reaction score
If they want to go forward with Dak, fine. But I am completely open to a plan where they basically let Dak walk, bring in a vet and then draft a real prospect.

But if they were to let Dak essentially walk, they need a real plan, not some haphazard hope we get lucky in the 4th round type plan. That's what scares me if they don't commit to Dak. That Jerry and his bozo of a son will spend the next 5 years looking for a QB.

Yes, I am rambling here. But to me, Dak isn't great enough that walking away from him would be a bad idea but then again, I know who runs this franchise and how stupid they have been at times, so letting Dak walk also scares me because I worry those two boobs won't be able to find a QB unless they get lucky as crap again.

cern

Reaction score
Every day I read a new thread about that QB who is going to somehow make us look like a genius for not signing Dak.

-- Matthew Stafford? Didn't anyone learn with Aikman what happens to an immobile QB over 30 with a bad back?
-- Teddy Bridgewater? How many games has he proven himself in his career since 2015? You realize he never threw more than 14 TDs a year before his injury?
-- Philip Rivers? He almost threw more interceptions than TDs in his worst year ever. He was booed out of the stadium by his own fans his last game!
-- Tom Brady? He turns 43 this year! I repeat, he turns 43! I didn't even trust myself jumping off my truck tailgate at 43. Nevermind a QB in the NFL!
-- Insert whichever QB is the flavor of the moment.

Here we have a 26 year old QB about to enter the prime of his career. Except for one sophomore slump, he has pulled in terrific numbers and wins every year. I won't post the repeat stat threads that show how Dak lines up well against all the recent great QBs in most significant stats and wins numbers. He's not a choker in the Playoffs. He just got done with a record year on a team that had given up on its head coach, and oh yeah, he tried to close it out with more than one significant injury. We'll never see him in a rape or wife beater headline, we'll never see the team give up on him or him isolate them with his primadonna act. He IS high grade quality individual, tough as nails, and this is about as safe a contract as you can gamble on.

You want to rally against him because he won't sign for the same as the last QB free agent? Fine. But look at the competition above. His agent isn't stupid. Someone will pony up $40 million a year for Dak. He is the only one on the list who guarantees you 7 years of a franchise QB.

If you want to have a serious QB debate, why not talk about some 2nd-4th round draft pick bargains that could become the next... gulp... Dak! Just in case we have to franchise him and it goes south. I look forward to someone telling me who that next hidden draft pick is who could play Tony Romo into retirement.
I see no better option for our long term future. dak knows it, his agent knows it, and our fo knows it.

cern

Reaction score
If they want to go forward with Dak, fine. But I am completely open to a plan where they basically let Dak walk, bring in a vet and then draft a real prospect.

But if they were to let Dak essentially walk, they need a real plan, not some haphazard hope we get lucky in the 4th round type plan. That's what scares me if they don't commit to Dak. That Jerry and his bozo of a son will spend the next 5 years looking for a QB.

Yes, I am rambling here. But to me, Dak isn't great enough that walking away from him would be a bad idea but then again, I know who runs this franchise and how stupid they have been at times, so letting Dak walk also scares me because I worry those two boobs won't be able to find a QB unless they get lucky as crap again.
if you're opposed to getting lucky in the 4th round, then how do you figure we draft a real prospect. those are usually gone by the first 4 picks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
if you're opposed to getting lucky in the 4th round, then how do you figure we draft a real prospect. those are usually gone by the first 4 picks.

I am continuously amazes me when I see Cowboy Fans say things like this. We took Staubach in the 10th round. We signed Romo as an UFA. We Drafted Danny White in the 3rd round and we took Dak in the 4th.......

mcmvp

Reaction score
First of all, you can’t blame a bunch of the defenses problems for the offense. The cowboys offense was first in yards and 6th in scoring. They weren’t perfect but they were not putting the defense at a constant disadvantage. So blaming the defenses issues on the offense is nonsense. Pure nonsense.

Second, Brady isn’t that guy anymore. I believe he is the GOAT but age has caught up to him. He isn’t as sharp as he once was. Or at least, doesn’t appear to be. The clock is undefeated after all.

It always is. Props to TB for keeping it going as long as he has. He is perhaps the GOAT....but I don't like to say that about one player. There are just too many great QBs out there. TB was never the most talented guy. It has been his poise that has always impressed me. Nothing ever rattled him.

And BB gets a lot of the credit for people calling TB the GOAT. I would love to see Brady play for another team under a different coach, but as you say...he's not quite the same at this point.

cern

Reaction score
I am continuously amazes me when I see Cowboy Fans say things like this. We took Staubach in the 10th round. We signed Romo as an UFA. We Drafted Danny White in the 3rd round and we took Dak in the 4th.......
i'm all for drafting a prospect with an early pick, but the top qb's go quickly. we're seldom in the hunt. even when we had the 4th pick in 2016, goff and wentz were already gone.

Sydla

Reaction score

Make some moves. I like Tua, Herbert and Burrow. I think one could be available in the low teens.

cern

Reaction score
Make some moves. I like Tua, Herbert and Burrow. I think one could be available in the low teens.
I suspect burrow will be the first pick in the draft. tua's injury might cause him to slip because doctors have recommened he not play this year while the hip heals. Herbert will go high.

mcmvp

Reaction score

Not the low teens they won't. The only one I could see fall that far would be Tua...and only if there is a fairly big consensus that he is too much of an injury risk.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Drafting a question mark and having to give up so much to even be in position sets the team back. We're built to win now. We have much more dire needs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i'm all for drafting a prospect with an early pick, but the top qb's go quickly. we're seldom in the hunt. even when we had the 4th pick in 2016, goff and wentz were already gone.

I agree that statistics favor early draft picks at QB but I personally think that success with QBs is more about picking the right fit and putting them into the right situation. Over the years, I've seen QBs that I know are more talented then other QBs who make it in the NFL, just get ruined. To me, this is the year to get a QB even into the middle rounds. We have a good enough team to put around a young QB, if we get solid coaching IMO. I'm not afraid of it. If that's what it comes down to, I believe this team could make a young talented QB successful.

JMO

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's the Dak apologists that see a different reality, they have been bringing up Romo the last 3 years, it is their mantra now and really sad.
Different reality? There is only 1 reality...Dak is going to be here for many more years to come. Deal with it.