1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Do the Cowboys bring back WR Tavon Austin?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Floatyworm, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

3,551 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    ..used in the right way, he could be deadly.

2. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

3,532 Messages
    2,666 Likes Received
    no surprise ? ... no movement ? .... maybe that means the guy is no good ? LOL

... especially when we now have a qualified, experienced special teams coach who has personally worked with him to be familiar
    with Tavon's mishaps, timid decision making and fumbles ?

Let's see if it's some new and improved and fresh quick darting slot/returners in this WR strong draft class we can get, than trying to stay with the
    same ole broken song and trying to stay with the same status quo of an average hands, timid route running, injury prone, special teams mistake prone fumbler ? :laugh:

3. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

5,045 Messages
    5,044 Likes Received
    I'm glad they haven't signed Austin, and it seems like some ppl at the Star has their minds right about player eval and team building. Tavon isn't a good punt returner and that's what they need from a smaller type WR if he doesn't shine as a true WR.

Bullflop likes this.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

48,224 Messages
    35,306 Likes Received
    Last resort
    Preferably, no

Bullflop likes this.
  5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

19,852 Messages
    22,018 Likes Received
    I'm not sure Pollard isn't field faster than Tavon. Tavon's speed doesn't translate to the field.

quickccc and Bullflop like this.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

80,030 Messages
    54,623 Likes Received
    I thought this under Garrett . Obviously that didn't work out. Now I'd like McCarthy to have a shot at it.

Big D and Praxit like this.
  7. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

20,777 Messages
    17,462 Likes Received
    I think they would have already acted to secure Tavon's services if they wanted him.

Bullflop likes this.
  8. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

11,981 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Speed is great but if you only use him for a set group of plays what difference does it make. Lets not forget Austin is also fragile.

kskboys and Bullflop like this.
  9. Wapp5200

Wapp5200 Member

71 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Bring em back

10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

16,298 Messages
    19,791 Likes Received
    I feel the Cowboys have seen enough of Tavon to convince them that he's not the answer to their needs. His ability to impact the team on a regular basis just isn't there. He's had problems with various injuries that render him unavailable way too often. Tony Pollard is proving to be a better option, both as a runner and receiver. As I understand it, the Cowboys are planning to use him more generously this year. I suspect they'll be glad they did. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. quickccc

3,532 Messages
    2,666 Likes Received
    Imo, Pollard has build up speed once he gets momentum rolling,..whereas guys like Tavon, Lucky Whitehead, take very little time in instant burst quickness and acceleration..especially when it comes to jet sweeps, but it still is a matter of hitting the edge with authority and reckless abandon, not cruising or running it timid in finding a safe spot and laying down fast as Tavon eventually was getting into a groove at more and more, ..and you have to have the instant speed which Ryan Switzer did not have and was miserable at jet sweeps.:(

jrumann59 likes this.
  12. jrumann59

11,981 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Pollard seems like a more natural receiver. Tavon is fast but he is not a deep threat receiver he needs the ball in space call it the beasley zone within 10 yards of the LOS but his build limits that. Unless his guy blows a coverage he is not going up to get one. Neither is pollard but Pollard is listed as RB not a WR and can do things as a threat out of the backfield, playaction pas to him, motion him out to the slot, motion him from the slot to the backfield.

13. quickccc

3,532 Messages
    2,666 Likes Received
    But my question would be since Pollard was so very rarely used as a receiver out of backfield, how do we know how natural a receiver he really is ? Kellen very much under-used him as a receiver (until the Detroit game where he caught the ball on a shallow route out of the slot for a TD) there were a couple of wheel routes
    and screen where he didn't adjust well to,.. probably from a lack of reps and inexperience at NFL level.
    This is where i'm hoping McCarthy and skip Peete will end up helping out Kellen and better developing and scheming Pollard as a receiving weapon.

- Tavon can probably get deep quicker down the field in a straight line than any other receiver on the roster.
    the guy is a legit 4.35 flyer, but what good is a flyer if he cannot catch worth a damn ? He is definitely not a natural receiver - and you're right Austin is average
    in this area, not only does Austin has average hands (.there were deep balls that dropped right from his hands after running under the throw)
    he doesn't possess a knack or feel for the pass game, that's what makes him useless as a slot guy and that hurts this offense and wastes a roster spot, imo.

- and up until this past year, he was always hurt in some fashion or another, so there was always a question of his toughness, Seems to do his best work on gimmick, gadget plays, ..smoke/bubble screens, jet sweeps, and go- fly, deep bomb routes, ...
    - he used to be a deadly open field punt returner, but it seems he is becoming more timid, more sideways east-west instead of north and south straight-up field, has questionable punt return hands and decision making,
    - and his run skills have become more and more timid and tentative the longer he is in the league. He wants an open spot to run and then fall down to avoid a hit.

14. jrumann59

11,981 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    His groin injury two years ago, the rumor was it was pulled from the bone, had no surgery and it healed. I am just wondering how effective his cutting is on that groin. Him being used as a deep threat is laughable because every defense pretty has no respect for his skill. I would like to see him in the Beasley role where he just runs slant, and crossing patterns from the slot.

15. Cowboy Lover

Cowboy Lover Well-Known Member

1,584 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    Good time to shed some fringe players. MM can expertly fill these spots with "his own guys".

16. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

6,625 Messages
    10,950 Likes Received
    I would have preferred Austin to Smith.

17. QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra Well-Known Member

9,566 Messages
    8,682 Likes Received
    Former Cowboys who I wouldn't mind bringing back:

Tavon
    Maybe Michael Bennett
    Dez
    Ron Leary
    Geoff Swaim

18. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

12,031 Messages
    5,161 Likes Received
    not sure what he brings to the table. he is so limited in many areas. and he is not that valuable on special teams. as the 4th or 5th WR you better be really good on special teams...he is not

and at this stage of his career, there is no upside. he is what he is. he is not going to become better or improve or be developed.

perhaps time to move on with someone that is younger and perhaps we can invest in to develop

kskboys likes this.
  19. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

19,852 Messages
    22,018 Likes Received
    He can't stay healthy in that role.

20. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

9,350 Messages
    6,561 Likes Received
    Watching Skip and Shannon and they said some experts have us taking JJ from the tide with the 17th pick. Have to admit have not seen that mock draft.