Do the Cowboys bring back WR Tavon Austin?

kskboys

Reaction score
Imo, Pollard has build up speed once he gets momentum rolling,..whereas guys like Tavon, Lucky Whitehead, take very little time in instant burst quickness and acceleration..especially when it comes to jet sweeps, but it still is a matter of hitting the edge with authority and reckless abandon, not cruising or running it timid in finding a safe spot and laying down fast as Tavon eventually was getting into a groove at more and more, ..and you have to have the instant speed which Ryan Switzer did not have and was miserable at jet sweeps.:(
I wanted to refute the build up speed thing, but I looked at his scouting reports, and his burst is sure enough average.

I had not considered that aspect. Makes me think he'd fail as a starter anyway. Hmmm.....

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Tavon got very little usage last year. Who knows if it was the coaching staff or performance related. He has his place if utilized properly but I wouldn't keep him if we found some good talent in the draft and they looked good in TC.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Not sure why Tavon gets so much animosity. He didn't get much burn but when he did he made some plays.

If Tavon isn't on the team in '16 we might have lost to Seattle.

I'd look hard @ retaining him TBH.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more movement here....Bring him back? or move on?...I'm in the camp of bring him back....Incentive deal.

Comments....:rolleyes:

Really not hard to understand. At this point the Cowboys are doing nothing until the draft. I think they very much hope to nab a WR in this deep WR draft. So what is the point of signing another WR right now?

Once the draft is over they will continue to fill in holes they weren't able to with the draft.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Austin's future here is tied to the draft. If the Cowboys come away with a receiver that can compete for the slot and the punt return spot they'll move on. But they probably have a handshake agreement with Austin that they'll re-sign him later.

Right now I want to see what Devin Smith can do in the slot. And let's not forget Jon'Vea Johnson, who did some nice things at camp last yer before getting hurt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Austin's future here is tied to the draft. If the Cowboys come away with a receiver that can compete for the slot and the punt return spot they'll move on. But they probably have a handshake agreement with Austin that they'll re-sign him later.

Right now I want to see what Devin Smith can do in the slot. And let's not forget Jon'Vea Johnson, who did some nice things at camp last yer before getting hurt.

Devin Smith for sure...…….but what is the point of brining back a guy that simply hasn't worked anywhere including here? Give me a young WR from the draft and Devin. Especially for that 3rd WR spot.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Devin Smith for sure...…….but what is the point of brining back a guy that simply hasn't worked anywhere including here? Give me a young WR from the draft and Devin. Especially for that 3rd WR spot.

I agree. But maybe Mike McCarthy can use Tavon Austin in ways Garrett never did if the Cowboys can't get a receiver like him in the draft. I'm thinking they go defense-heavy with their picks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree. But maybe Mike McCarthy can use Tavon Austin in ways Garrett never did if the Cowboys can't get a receiver like him in the draft. I'm thinking they go defense-heavy with their picks.

I would agree that MM has a better shot to use him properly. I am just not impressed by Austin. He isn't tough, is injury prone, and just cant seem to make the impact that he should. Outside of speed, Im not sure what he is really good at. I would rather take one of these kids in the draft and give Devin Smith a chance.

Brewer97

Reaction score
With the Texans acquiring Brandin Cooks, I wonder if they will move Coutee. They really don't have a need for him now with Cooks and Cobb on the team. He would be a decent pickup in a trade (maybe a 7th rounder)