Do the Cowboys even do tackling drills in practice?

CoachD

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to do 2 drills to be much better at tackling.......
1. Mirror drill the mother of all tackling drills and 2. Middle drill, line these wet noodles up against each other and let's see what happens. However, without these drills you'll get more of the same the rest of the year and I guarantee it!

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to believe these guys have all learned to tackle in high school college and even the NFL. If they are bad at it its probably because they don't like doing it. The way they arm tackle high or try to take tangential angles instead of hitting guys straight on or broadside tells me they don't like tackling. Maybe guys like Jaylon Smith just developed bad habits in college because they were big for college and could blow up RBs from small schools but that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL.

And what's with Xavier Woods and his hands on the facemask of every guy he tackles. The Cowboys were actually lucky they didn't get two or 3 facemask penalties last night, and that's what is even more embarrassing. The Cowboys won the turnover battle 2-0 and got some friendly calls from the refs and it didn't make a bit of difference to the Bears.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
1. Mirror drill the mother of all tackling drills and 2. Middle drill, line these wet noodles up against each other and let's see what happens. However, without these drills you'll get more of the same the rest of the year and I guarantee it!

NOBODY does anymore. In accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, the NFL has LESS full pad practice than HS or even little league football.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I think it's because this franchise just hands contracts out to players & jobs to coaches whether or not they earn it plus they are anointed Super Bowl champions without earning it so when it comes to tackling they just stand around waiting for someone else to do it for them.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
But what about that Seahawk commercial where they talk about tackling the Seahawk way? Head to the side, wrap up and twist?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
They've been a poor tackling team for a long time.
I mean, Heath is a vet and a Captain and he still shoulder smashes instead of tackling.
It's insane to watch.
They were a good tackling team last season.

stinkface

Reaction score
I don't think we can underestimate the difference not having LVE on the field this year. He was a tackling machine last year. I believe he has been hurt pretty much the entire year as the speed and the explosion of last year hasn't been there and I think he's done for the years. That's affected the entire defense in a bad bad way. The fact that we didn't get an NFL quality Safety during the off season was another big flaw. I think Lawrence has been banged up all year also and it certainly shows. An equally bad issue has been a distinct lack of communication on the Defensive side of the ball. We just don't play as a unit. Lots of that for sure is bad bad bad coaching.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
They know how to tackle. They’ve been doing it since Pop Warner. Tackling is a violent act. It requires drive and want. I’m not seeing much of either from this defense.

ultron

Reaction score
I lived 10 miles outside of Oxnard and I went to TC quite often 2016-2018 and the Dline did tackle drills but I don't really recall the Lbs and DBs doing them - it's the #1 drill in which players get hurt so that's probably why they don't do it often I assume??

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well I will say this, Trubisky is a big guy, not easy to bring down once he gets rolling in open field.
The guy montgomery is a handfull too, so these guys can break arm tackles and once they get going it gets harder.

The problem is letting them get past the DLine.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Well I will say this, Trubisky is a big guy, not easy to bring down once he gets rolling in open field.
The guy montgomery is a handfull too, so these guys can break arm tackles and once they get going it gets harder.

The problem is letting them get past the DLine.

Half the time Mitch was looking like Barry Sanders and our D can't tackle worth a flip.