1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Do the Cowboys have the best 4-3 LB corps in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Altestic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Drunk on Dalton Juice

20,133 Messages
    20,964 Likes Received
    Yes. Give you much better pass defense out of base packages to have 3 high level pass defenders at the LB position on the field

2. Altestic

Altestic Benched

1,081 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    CAR lost Davis. Their 2nd LB is an undersized guy in Thompson who is basically equal to our Joe Thomas. Also they converted to 3-4 now so they're out of the equation.

SEA is the only one who comes close. Behind the LOB core of Wagner/Wright intact they have solid guys in Bark Mingo and Mychal Kendricks (if he's not in jail) behind them.

3. Asklesko

Asklesko Well-Known Member

2,894 Messages
    2,188 Likes Received
    It's funny how Cowboys fans always overrate their players.

4. Altestic

Altestic Benched

1,081 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    Bark Mingo and Mychal Kendricks are a very solid 3rd and 4th. But the latter is facing up to 3 years in prison. Sentencing is late September.

5. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,495 Messages
    2,993 Likes Received
    Just due to the nature of LBs, it takes A LOT to be hands-down, the BEST LB group.

I would argue that there's only been a handful of times where one group was clearly and utterly the best of their year.

So that said, 100% the Dallas group is in the conversation of best right now, but the best of the NFL for sure? Nah. Seattle is too close and could be better on any given week.

6. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

10,398 Messages
    6,152 Likes Received
    I used to think San Francisco had the best linebackers. And then all the injuries. But you're right I can't think of a better tandem

7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

31,134 Messages
    44,960 Likes Received
    Teams pretty much stay in nickel except in short yardage and goal line.

8. DasSchnitzel

1,495 Messages
    2,993 Likes Received
    People keep saying this like it matters to the question asked, and it doesn't.

Dallas has 3 LBs that can play in a nickel formation as well as any other. Some teams dont even have 2, some teams have 2 until an injury. Dallas can absorb one injury and still put two probowlers out there in nickel.

"Best LB group" is as much about depth as it is starters. In the base 4-3, dallas has 3 probowlers. In nickel, dallas has two probowlers and one more providing depth.

9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

31,134 Messages
    44,960 Likes Received
    But it's also true that they struggled mightily toward the end of the season.

They're good, but Cowboy fans always overrate their players a bit.

10. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Drunk on Dalton Juice

20,133 Messages
    20,964 Likes Received
    Teams still pass out of those formations

11. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,697 Messages
    36,811 Likes Received
    Until those players want paid, at which point every perceived flaw is placed under a microscope.

Asklesko and stilltheguru like this.
  12. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

5,560 Messages
    2,826 Likes Received
    Yeabut then you have goofballs that are the opposite and go out of their way to let us know our players are OKKKK. Ain’t that right @mattjames2010

13. DasSchnitzel

1,495 Messages
    2,993 Likes Received
    No matter what I say in response you can say "well you're just a Cowboys fan, and they overrate their players".

At their worst, Dallas LBs were average. If you want to argue that LVE, Jaylon, and Lee are any less than a top 5 4-3 LB group, you simply dont know what you're talking about.

I think they're top 3. Top 3 vs top 5 is the only real conversation here. If you want to put them below top 5, then... I dont even know what to say besides saying you aren't watching enough NFL games.

14. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

10,060 Messages
    17,154 Likes Received
    LOL....as one player once tweeted, what fans think the last couple years have been on the rookie deal?

15. Floatyworm

Floatyworm The Labeled One

12,627 Messages
    10,708 Likes Received
    We are so over-rated it's not even funny.

LVE should be playing in the middle....but isn't because Jaylon can't cover. So not only are you taking away what LVE does best...stop other teams from running the football...your stunting his growth as a team leader.

Make no doubt...LVE is the better player. He can cover and make plays in the back field. This is not the first time this organization has taken a guy and ruined his career....because they want to play a fan favorite...and hide a guys deficencies like Jaylon's....in order to sell tickets.

As for Lee...He should have been cut 3 years ago. He's in the top 5 for most over-rated players in the entire NFL. Why we even bother??? IDK...I just know I'm tired of watching him pout on the sidelines. ..whenever he is hurt...which is all the time.

Flame suit on...so flame away. Sadly...people know the truth...and refuse to accept it. I worry we don't have any depth after our top 2 guys...and Joe Thomas.

16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

12,980 Messages
    5,280 Likes Received
    Colts, Bears, Jags, Ravens also have good LB units.

Hadenough likes this.
  17. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

5,255 Messages
    5,748 Likes Received
    Dallas very well could have the best LB duo in football. The thing about Carolina is they had a strong dline that allowed their LBs to drop back in coverage or hit the gaps and make plays.

18. jaythecowboy

jaythecowboy Well-Known Member

1,262 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    LVE isn't playing the Mike cause he gets stuck on blocks too easily. Playing the will he doesn't have to deal with blockers as much.

19. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,183 Messages
    18,719 Likes Received
    Yea, I wouldn't either. Just saying right now Wagner is probably the best in the business and Wright ain't no slouch himself.

20. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

9,710 Messages
    7,694 Likes Received
    Probably.