CFZ Do We Have a “New Doomsday”?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the last two decades, maybe with a couple of exceptions in ‘06 and ‘09, the best part of any Cowboys team was the offense. And there’s no question that was by design. Three games into this long season, there’s no question the script has flipped. The defense is now easily the best side of the ball.

I will temper our thrills a little with the reminder that we’re just a tad over 1/6th of the way through the season. But still, the early returns on the D are impressive.

Let’s look at the proof in the stats through 3 games:
  • Points allowed- Ranked 4th, allowing 17.3 pts per game. Pretty salty. You win a ton of games with that stat. Especially playoff games if you can sustain it.
  • Total Yds/game- Ranked 9th allowing 312 yards per game.
  • Total Sacks- Ranked #1 with 13 sacks. Parsons has 4 and budding stud Dorance Armstrong has 3)
  • Passing Yds Allowed- Ranked 4th with 176 ypg. I’m sure that has a lot to do with pressure.
  • Rushing Yds Allowed- Ranked 23rd with 136 yds per game. The one area that still needs major improvement. Still allowing about 5 yds per rush.
  • Total TOs- Ranked #16 with just 1 int so far. Still very early.
Again, it’s early. Some of these numbers will change, but the thing that jumps out are the sacks. If this defense can sustain the pressure, we will be in a lot of games even when the offense can’t perform at a high level. Which may be quite often.

Do we have a “New Doomsday Defense”? Signs are pointing that direction.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Not even close! LVE is still on the field and the middle is wide open and way too soft to often. Are there pieces in place? Of course.

blueblood70

Reaction score
BTW add Tanks 3 Sacks and manty pressures not cool to leave him out..put DA over Tank..

Reactions: BAT

Creeper

Reaction score
For the last two decades, maybe with a couple of exceptions in ‘06 and ‘09, the best part of any Cowboys team was the offense. And there’s no question that was by design. Three games into this long season, there’s no question the script has flipped. The defense is now easily the best side of the ball.

I will temper our thrills a little with the reminder that we’re just a tad over 1/6th of the way through the season. But still, the early returns on the D are impressive.

• Points allowed- Ranked 4th, allowing 17.3 pts per game. Pretty salty. You win a ton of games with that stat. Especially playoff games if you can sustain it.
  • Total Sacks- Ranked #1 with 13 sacks. Parsons has 4 and budding stud Dorance Armstrong has 3)
  • Passing Yds Allowed- Ranked 4th with 176 ypg. I’m sure that has a lot to do with pressure.
  • Rushing Yds Allowed- Ranked 23rd with 136 yds per game. The one area that still needs major improvement. Still allowing about 5 yds per rush.
Again, it’s early. Some of these numbers will change, but the thing that jumps out are the sacks. If this defense can sustain the pressure, we will be in a lot of games even when the offense can’t perform at a high level. Which may be quite often.

I noticed a few things watching the game a second time.

Trysten Hill is active but he is not stout against the run. I can't swear it but I think when Hill was in the game on early downs the Giants were running at him. He is not big enough to hold up to double teams, and he saw them a lot. He is very hard to block one on one, or was for the Giants, but the double teams bury him. One one one he gets held a lot.

I was very disappoint in Barr again. He played much better last week but missed a few tackles on Barkley, including the TD run. He is not the player he was in his prime. I continue to wonder if playing Barr is stunting the development of Cox.

It is so hard to fault Trevon Diggs, but he really is boom or bust. He made a great INT against the Giants but he is taking a lot of risks jumping passes and not making the play.

Bohanna is playing much better this year. He is playing strong against double teams and he gives other the opportunity to make tackles. I wish they had another guy like him playing along side him. Maybe Ridgeway was going to be that guy.

I am getting concerned about Sam Williams. He had a roughing called last week and he hit Danny Dimes out of bounds this week. Luckily the Giants came off the bench to commit an offsetting penalty but that could have been a huge play in the game. At the same time I don't see him making many plays.

It is also hard to fault Donovan Wilson, but if he had better tackling technique he would have had 2 sacks last night.

The defense is good because they play as a unit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

We will find out as they start seeing high powered offense. I love what they are doing and love the depth they are showing but the real test comes vs top offenses in the league.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Surprising that with 13 sacks we have no fumble recoveries from them!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even close! LVE is still on the field and the middle is wide open and way too soft to often. Are there pieces in place? Of course.
Don’t necessarily disagree. But what pieces would you add? Who specifically?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I noticed a few things watching the game a second time.

Trysten Hill is active but he is not stout against the run. I can't swear it but I think when Hill was in the game on early downs the Giants were running at him. He is not big enough to hold up to double teams, and he saw them a lot. He is very hard to block one on one, or was for the Giants, but the double teams bury him. One one one he gets held a lot.

I was very disappoint in Barr again. He played much better last week but missed a few tackles on Barkley, including the TD run. He is not the player he was in his prime. I continue to wonder if playing Barr is stunting the development of Cox.

It is so hard to fault Trevon Diggs, but he really is boom or bust. He made a great INT against the Giants but he is taking a lot of risks jumping passes and not making the play.

Bohanna is playing much better this year. He is playing strong against double teams and he gives other the opportunity to make tackles. I wish they had another guy like him playing along side him. Maybe Ridgeway was going to be that guy.

I am getting concerned about Sam Williams. He had a roughing called last week and he hit Danny Dimes out of bounds this week. Luckily the Giants came off the bench to commit an offsetting penalty but that could have been a huge play in the game. At the same time I don't see him making many plays.

It is also hard to fault Donovan Wilson, but if he had better tackling technique he would have had 2 sacks last night.

The defense is good because they play as a unit.

Wilson had 1 sack and multiple TFL as SS. Definitely hard to fault his play.

And not understanding your "deep disappointment" in Barr, he looks like the best LB not named Parsons to me.

As for Cox, some of the blame has to be on him for the lack of minutes. He may not even be 100% yet.

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
We need to be better inside on the DL. Not saying we can't get better, but there's no Jethro Pugh or Bob Lilly on this roster as we speak today.

Doomsday was a championship unit, so I want to pay respect to the legends, but what Dan Quinn has been able to do in such a short time with a historically bad Cowboys defense from 2020 is nothing short of miraculous.