Do you believe the Cowboys and Dalton talked about this?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're right about the possibility, repeat possibility, of if Payton was the Cowboys head coach in 2016, but please list all of the "top coaches" that stayed with a backup QB when their starter was able to play again. There must be a very long list of that?
The term is called being "Wally Pipp'd". If you're not familiar with the term, I'm sorry I can't help you. It's actually been a term that's been around since the 1920's when longtime New York Yankee first baseman Wally Pipp was injured and could not get his job back once healthy again. He had been replaced by a young Lou Gehrig. You can look that up if you are interested but you aren't going to assign me homework, making a list for you of the top coaches that stayed with a backup when their former starter was able to play again. Just know it happens.

starcity214

Reaction score
With the incentive based contract obviously it was discussed.

Smart man.

I guess GMs just randomly give players a chance to double their earnings all the time for no apparent reason right? Lol i wonder why jerry didn't give Dak that kind of contract when he signed his rookie deal..

Come on people.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The term is called being "Wally Pipp'd". If you're not familiar with the term, I'm sorry I can't help you. It's actually been a term that's been around since the 1920's when longtime New York Yankee first baseman Wally Pipp was injured and could not get his job back once healthy again. He had been replaced by a young Lou Gehrig. You can look that up if you are interested but you aren't going to assign me homework, making a list for you of the top coaches that stayed with a backup when their former starter was able to play again. Just know it happens.

First yes I knew about Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig although I didn't remember Pipp's name but the whole story I did know about Gehrig getting his chance. Second the saying about going with the hot hand is one of those sayings that that has very little history to go with it. Your excuse of "assign you homework" is just that an excuse because you can't think of any top coach that has stayed with a backup QB after the starter was ready to go. And comparing Prescott getting injured and Dalton stepping in and the Cowboys staying with Dalton when Prescott is ready to go just doesn'y fly when Dalton is coming off a 3 year slide and Prescott has been touted by Jerry and Stephen for over a year that he is their QB now and in the future. Again that old saying that you stay with a hot hand is mostly just a saying, probably originally started by sportswriters because there's extremely little history that proves that.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you heard that the Cowboys were interested in Dalton coming out of college. They had Romo, Kitna was the backup and they had a young McGee that they were high on.. Except for the 1st round where they took Tyron Smith their next several picks were on the defensive side on the ball where they believed the biggest needs were . Picks like Ware, Carter (he was a bust) and a couple of DB's. I'm not saying that the Cowboys may have scouted Dalton I just never heard anything about them actually considering drafting him.

There was interest in Dalton. Cowboys have interest in a lot of players but they don't draft them. He was supposed to be a late first or second round pick. It's the same as the Cowboys having interest in Cam Newton.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
First yes I knew about Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig although I didn't remember Pipp's name but the whole story I did know about Gehrig getting his chance. Second the saying about going with the hot hand is one of those sayings that that has very little history to go with it. Your excuse of "assign you homework" is just that an excuse because you can't think of any top coach that has stayed with a backup QB after the starter was ready to go. And comparing Prescott getting injured and Dalton stepping in and the Cowboys staying with Dalton when Prescott is ready to go just doesn'y fly when Dalton is coming off a 3 year slide and Prescott has been touted by Jerry and Stephen for over a year that he is their QB now and in the future. Again that old saying that you stay with a hot hand is mostly just a saying, probably originally started by sportswriters because there's extremely little history that proves that.
Thanks for showing us your derriere. I figure you'd go there if I gave you the latitude. Sure enough...

As for being Wally Pipp'd, if it can happen to Romo it can happen to anyone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
At the very beginning, and at the very end, IMO, we needed to capable QBs. We need both of these guys. Now, if we end up only having one, well, we still gotta go find another one guys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There was interest in Dalton. Cowboys have interest in a lot of players but they don't draft them. He was supposed to be a late first or second round pick. It's the same as the Cowboys having interest in Cam Newton.

You like many fans think that because they scout what 50- 60 college players that they have real interest in drafting all of them. The entire reason for scouting players is to find out about them so just because players are on their big draft board doesn't mean they will draft them or even think about drafting them. Teams have their big draft board with all the players they scouted and then the board they have with the players they are actually interested in drafting. When some comes up with some proof that Dalton was on the Cowboys interested board and not just going by what the "draft gurus" say before picks when they are wrong about 75-80% of the time, then we can agree that the Cowboys might have been interested in Dalton. Again I doubt it since they had Romo, Kitna and they were high at the time on their young QB McGee.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why do so many believe that Dalton is going to somehow revert back four years to a servicable starter?

Has anyone looked at his productivity. It has gotten progeessively worse each season until it was just plain awful last season.

The Bengals had a terrible team? Yeah, he was a major component of that terrible team.

Under 60% completion, INT and TD percentage nearly match, 6.6 yards per attempt?

27 QB's had 300 attempts in 2019. His passer rating is ranked 27th.

The only category he led in was pick 6's.

Add in his fumbles lost and he was responsible for 20 turnovers.

And this is the guy that makes us feel comfortable enough to let Dak walk?

What in the world is going on here? Will somebody please tell me what amazing intangible I happened to miss about this guy?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Thanks for showing us your derriere. I figure you'd go there if I gave you the latitude. Sure enough...

As for being Wally Pipp'd, if it can happen to Romo it can happen to anyone.

Geez, if Romo was 26 and only started for 4 years and not missed a single snap due to injury you nor anyone else can say that Romo wouldn't have gotten his job back. In reality Romo missed including preseason 11 weeks THAT time and had a history of missing games to injury. He hadn't practiced in 11 weeks and was at the end of his career. Both QB's ahead of Prescott went down in preseason AND in 2016 the Cowboys had VERY little cap space to work with when free agency started. Romo coming off a back injury which teams and the team doctors are very cautious with were being protective of his back. Now you want to say that for whatever reason, not for sitting out because that won;'t happen, Dalton goes in and Prescott when ready to go won't get his job back because a QB who has been a a 3 year downward slide would keep Prescott from getting back his job? Ya I have some swamp land I know you'll jump at.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Geez, if Romo was 26 and only started for 4 years and not missed a single snap due to injury you nor anyone else can say that Romo wouldn't have gotten his job back. In reality Romo missed including preseason 11 weeks THAT time and had a history of missing games to injury. He hadn't practiced in 11 weeks and was at the end of his career. Both QB's ahead of Prescott went down in preseason AND in 2016 the Cowboys had VERY little cap space to work with when free agency started. Romo coming off a back injury which teams and the team doctors are very cautious with were being protective of his back. Now you want to say that for whatever reason, not for sitting out because that won;'t happen, Dalton goes in and Prescott when ready to go won't get his job back because a QB who has been a a 3 year downward slide would keep Prescott from getting back his job? Ya I have some swamp land I know you'll jump at.
How long do you think Dalton is capable of keeping the hot hand? I don't think very long, and I did say once the hot hand cools, give Dak his job back. Don't pretend I did not say that.

Proof

Reaction score
Is dallas better off with Dak for 30 mill or with Dalton for 7 and fill other holes with the extra money?

who are you signing, and what are your plans for next year? Dalton isn’t 7 mil in perpetuity, it’s this season. If he plays as well as some hope, what’s his cost then?

lostar2009

Reaction score
You like many fans think that because they scout what 50- 60 college players that they have real interest in drafting all of them. The entire reason for scouting players is to find out about them so just because players are on their big draft board doesn't mean they will draft them or even think about drafting them. Teams have their big draft board with all the players they scouted and then the board they have with the players they are actually interested in drafting. When some comes up with some proof that Dalton was on the Cowboys interested board and not just going by what the "draft gurus" say before picks when they are wrong about 75-80% of the time, then we can agree that the Cowboys might have been interested in Dalton. Again I doubt it since they had Romo, Kitna and they were high at the time on their young QB McGee.

Okay

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How long do you think Dalton is capable of keeping the hot hand? I don't think very long, and I did say once the hot hand cools, give Dak his job back. Don't pretend I did not say that.

Personally based on what he's done the past 3 seasons he won't have a hot hand and as soon as Prescott would be ready to come back he'll get his job back.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Interesting if you look hard enough you see the Cowboys had a private workout with Andy Dalton in 2011.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Interesting if you look hard enough you see the Cowboys had a private workout with Andy Dalton in 2011.

As they did with the max of 25 players that all teams can do but that in and of itself does not mean come draft day they had any interest in drafting Dalton. They only had 8 picks in 2011 so that means 14 of those workouts were for nothing or they learned what they wanted to know and filed those workouts where they belonged. Again until you can come up with a direct quote I'll say I doubt it happened because of having Romo, Kitna and McGee.

lostar2009

Reaction score
As they did with the max of 25 players that all teams can do but that in and of itself does not mean come draft day they had any interest in drafting Dalton. They only had 8 picks in 2011 so that means 14 of those workouts were for nothing or they learned what they wanted to know and filed those workouts where they belonged. Again until you can come up with a direct quote I'll say I doubt it happened because of having Romo, Kitna and McGee.

That's what you wanted. You see he here in the fold. Also Cowboys have a history of signing players they work out or had draft interest in.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's what you wanted. You see he here in the fold. Also Cowboys have a history of signing players they work out or had draft interest in.

Oh come on, the Cowboys brought in Shawne Merriman for workout in 2005 and even told him if he was available that they would draft him with their 1st pick but instead they drafted Ware who hadn't been to Dallas for a workout. Merriman whined about that for a couple of years. If you want to think the Cowboys were interested in drafting Dalton, knock your socks off but common sense says they didn't.

cowboyec

Reaction score
maybe.
i just think it's a smart move.
we've needed a quality back-up for a long time.
if Dak gets hurt or some how things go sideways with the contract talks....he gives us a puncher's chance.
hopefully having a quality QB2 is something that continues in the McCarthy era.