Do you enjoy hype?

jnday

Reaction score
I've learned to take what Jerry and Stephen say with a grain of salt. There have been far too many instances when they've told outright lies to serve their purpose of keeping the ticket sales pouring in. Usually, the truth comes to be known, sadly, when it's far too late to set things right. Following one's own eyes is be best way to get a true picture of what to anticipate. Hopes and realities are often very different things, as the truth finally prevails.
I honestly don’t think that they the Jones family thinks that they are lying. They believe that BS and that is a big part of the problem. They believe it, but they are wrong.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We all know the NFL is a business first, and a sport second. I enjoy football very much, especially the Cowboys. But I have become increasingly weary of all the hype and hoopla that surrounds my favorite team, especially this time of year.

Here’s a typical definition of HYPE: to promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance.

So hype in regard to the Cowboys can be to intensively publicize (often exaggerating) how good the product is going to be in advance of it happening. That sounds like the last quarter century to me. And by the way, I have no problem with any fan who does buy the hype.

Do I enjoy “Cowboys hype”? Honestly, sometimes I do. Sometimes the fan in me wants to believe every good possibility about a certain player or the team as a whole. Other times, especially the last decade, I get sick of all the hype from the leadership of this franchise that hasn’t come close to living up to the “secret sauce” comments about how good we are going to be. Honestly, the Jones boys will have to earn my trust with results on the field not their typical verbal hype.

Am I excited about the upcoming season? Yes. Do I have some hope? Yes. Do I believe all the stuff being said about how good we are going to be? I will believe it when it happens. Not before.

IM indifferent to hype. Lets face it, people are now starting to get into NFL mode. Sports shows cant wait for the NFL season to start as viewership goes way up. The Cowboys are by far the most popular team... so it is natural that you will see and hear far more about the Cowboys every season then you will the Bengals.... or ANY other team quite frankly. So, no, the hype doesnt get me excited or upset. It is what it is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think that they the Jones family thinks that they are lying. They believe that BS and that is a big part of the problem. They believe it, but they are wrong.

The fact that they stubbornly believe what they're doing is right is the incorrigible notion that our FO clings to with no letup.

They're in perennial denial of their incompetence. It would help if both Jerry and son stepped aside and let others manage.

Unfortunately, that won't happen. That's the undeniable fact that the team's fans must live with. Some people never change.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
The fact that they stubbornly believe what they're doing is right is the incorrigible notion that our FO clings to with no letup.

They're in perennial denial of their incompetence. It would help if both Jerry and son stepped aside and let others manage.

Unfortunately, that won't happen. That's the undeniable fact that the team's fans must live with. Some people never change.
After the last 25 years of frustration, you would think that a light would go off in their head and they would start questioning the way they are running the team , but I have not seen any sign of them questioning their approach to running the team. It is really pathetic that the one reason for the lack of success is Jerry’s ego and his need to be recognized as legit football guy. It is even more depressing to see that Stephen has not given us the first reason to think that he will approach running the team any different than his father. I think we all had hope that everything would change when Stephen takes over, but it seems like he will run things just like his father. In a way, Stephen will be much worse. At least Jerry is willing to spend money to sign the players that he really wants. Stephen is a tightwad and he has given us no reason to think that he will hire a real GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
After the last 25 years of frustration, you would think that a light would go off in their head and they would start questioning the way they are running the team , but I have not seen any sign of them questioning their approach to running the team. It is really pathetic that the one reason for the lack of success is Jerry’s ego and his need to be recognized as legit football guy. It is even more depressing to see that Stephen has not given us the first reason to think that he will approach running the team any different than his father. I think we all had hope that everything would change when Stephen takes over, but it seems like he will run things just like his father. In a way, Stephen will be much worse. At least Jerry is willing to spend money to sign the players that he really wants. Stephen is a tightwad and he has given us no reason to think that he will hire a real GM.
We are spending our available cap on our own FA's which is why we don't sign high dollar FA's. It seriously has nothing to do w/ Stephen being a tightwad. We are up against the cap every year.

What Stephen is trying to do is find medium priced FA's who can play. The problem w/ that is that he and his dad are very poor evaluators of talent. They had no idea that Nolan Carrell sucked, that Cedric Thornton was not a 1 tech, that stiff S's are mostly useless, that Nick Hayden was a backup type, that Brandon Carr was a #2 type CB. Because they not only don't understand the intricacies of football at the NFL level, they're not interested in even trying to understand it.

They tried the big money FA thing, and it only worked when Tuna was here to tell them who to get. So, now they're trying the Belly method of signing mid/lower tier FA's, but they don't comprehend that you need top coaching to get the most out of those type players.

IMO, Stephen is simply confused, as he's tried it both ways and can't comprehend the reason it's not working. And the reason is the GM.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We all know the NFL is a business first, and a sport second. I enjoy football very much, especially the Cowboys. But I have become increasingly weary of all the hype and hoopla that surrounds my favorite team, especially this time of year.

Here’s a typical definition of HYPE: to promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance.

So hype in regard to the Cowboys can be to intensively publicize (often exaggerating) how good the product is going to be in advance of it happening. That sounds like the last quarter century to me. And by the way, I have no problem with any fan who does buy the hype.

Do I enjoy “Cowboys hype”? Honestly, sometimes I do. Sometimes the fan in me wants to believe every good possibility about a certain player or the team as a whole. Other times, especially the last decade, I get sick of all the hype from the leadership of this franchise that hasn’t come close to living up to the “secret sauce” comments about how good we are going to be. Honestly, the Jones boys will have to earn my trust with results on the field not their typical verbal hype.

Am I excited about the upcoming season? Yes. Do I have some hope? Yes. Do I believe all the stuff being said about how good we are going to be? I will believe it when it happens. Not before.
there better be hype this time of year, else the year is doomed. if there is no hype, the players feel they have no chance, there is no excitement or hope. hope generates some of the hype.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Not one bit. Don't care for any of it. Just get me to the game. Don't watch pregame shows or even Super Bowl pregame stuff

jnday

Reaction score
We are spending our available cap on our own FA's which is why we don't sign high dollar FA's. It seriously has nothing to do w/ Stephen being a tightwad. We are up against the cap every year.

What Stephen is trying to do is find medium priced FA's who can play. The problem w/ that is that he and his dad are very poor evaluators of talent. They had no idea that Nolan Carrell sucked, that Cedric Thornton was not a 1 tech, that stiff S's are mostly useless, that Nick Hayden was a backup type, that Brandon Carr was a #2 type CB. Because they not only don't understand the intricacies of football at the NFL level, they're not interested in even trying to understand it.

They tried the big money FA thing, and it only worked when Tuna was here to tell them who to get. So, now they're trying the Belly method of signing mid/lower tier FA's, but they don't comprehend that you need top coaching to get the most out of those type players.

IMO, Stephen is simply confused, as he's tried it both ways and can't comprehend the reason it's not working. And the reason is the GM.
I don’t want the big tag free agents. Some of medium grade FAs is what has been needed. Stephen refuses to spend in free agency when cap room is available. Dallas has had room in the past few seasons. Stephen is overpaying Dallas players and is not taking advantage of free agents that could have filled some holes in the team. Instead, they choose to dumpster dive in free agency and sign players that are lucky to keep a roster spot.