Do you guys really think a new coaching staff is going to fix everything within one offseason?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is possible, yes. We are a good team, and really are not far off from being a super bowl contender.
We were last year. But then we also were one player away from finishing more like 6-10.

I suspect this roster is over hyped. An aging and battered OL, great WR and RB. Above average QB when everything aligns and a defense over rated without a pass rush which can’t create turnovers or stop the run.

But I would like to see what greater coaching can do. I tend to lean it’s more about the talent since this coaching took us to the brink last year. And in 2014 and 2016.

We’ll see but if Jerry thinks it’s Super Bowl caliber gives me reason to pause. I really don’t think we are better than any of the playoff teams we’ve faced this season. Maybe we’ll upgrade some of the talent next year as well as coaching.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Dallas gets your dream staff (HC, DC, OC, and ST coordinator). Rather it be Riley, Rivera, Rhule, Meyer, etc.

Do you really believe they can change this team within an offseason?
The new HC will have to bring a modern playbook and a new scheme. That is not easy in itself. After that, comes the players....

As we all know, the culture of the Cowboys is a major problem. A new HC may help with this, but it will not solve the problem completely, especially not in one offseason. Think about it. What is one thing our players lack? Leadership. Brotherhood. Wills to win. Compassion for the game. Thinking as a unit/team rather than an individual.

You look at the Ravens and you see a classic football team. A team that has each others backs (brotherhood). Everyone in that locker room gets along. Everyone in that locker room plays for the team rather than themselves. Everyone in that locker room has energy, passion, and most of all, they have fun at the end of the day. Even though all these players chase money, contracts, and likes on social media, they don't put it ahead of football.

Our players do NOT do this. Rather it be because Jason Garrett allows it, or the culture of Jerry Jones, it will not be an easy fix AT ALL. Look at Jaylon Smith or even Zeke this season. Shannon Sharpe made a good point on Undisputed Today when talking about Le'Veon Bell and his stupid bowling situations. He said "Players today don't care about winning. They could care less about winning. They care about social media and likes." That perfectly represents our team.

Not only does the new HC have to create a new playbook, gameplan, and scheme, along with changing the culture and attitudes of our players, they have to adjust to the team themselves. Settling into a new team is very hard, especially if we grab a college HC. On top of that, our players will have to adjust as well. Some players struggle more than others when it comes to change. That will be our team next year.

On top of THAT, we have like 20 or 30+ players to resign or let go of. That likely means we will likely have a lot more new players on our team through the draft, free agency, or trading. This team may look very different from what we see today (hopefully for the better).

New players, new HC, new scheme, new culture, new attitude, new gameplan, etc. 2021 may be our year, but along with our schedule (we play the NFCW (YIKES), the NFCN (Browns may improve, Steelers look good even with injuries, and the Ravens may still be redhot), possibly the Saints if we win our division, Packers or Vikes, and more, 2020 does not look like our season at all.

I would NOT raise my expectations beyond anything we feel right now for 2020 no matter what HC or player we pick up. If you do, you will be disappointed.
some guy was on ESPN this morning saying how the Cowher to Tomlin change took a full transitional season, then they won the SB

phildadon86

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Dallas gets your dream staff (HC, DC, OC, and ST coordinator). Rather it be Riley, Rivera, Rhule, Meyer, etc.

The new HC will have to bring a modern playbook and a new scheme. That is not easy in itself. After that, comes the players....

As we all know, the culture of the Cowboys is a major problem. A new HC may help with this, but it will not solve the problem completely, especially not in one offseason. Think about it. What is one thing our players lack? Leadership. Brotherhood. Wills to win. Compassion for the game. Thinking as a unit/team rather than an individual.

You look at the Ravens and you see a classic football team. A team that has each others backs (brotherhood). Everyone in that locker room gets along. Everyone in that locker room plays for the team rather than themselves. Everyone in that locker room has energy, passion, and most of all, they have fun at the end of the day. Even though all these players chase money, contracts, and likes on social media, they don't put it ahead of football.

Our players do NOT do this. Rather it be because Jason Garrett allows it, or the culture of Jerry Jones, it will not be an easy fix AT ALL. Look at Jaylon Smith or even Zeke this season. Shannon Sharpe made a good point on Undisputed Today when talking about Le'Veon Bell and his stupid bowling situations. He said "Players today don't care about winning. They could care less about winning. They care about social media and likes." That perfectly represents our team.

Not only does the new HC have to create a new playbook, gameplan, and scheme, along with changing the culture and attitudes of our players, they have to adjust to the team themselves. Settling into a new team is very hard, especially if we grab a college HC. On top of that, our players will have to adjust as well. Some players struggle more than others when it comes to change. That will be our team next year.

On top of THAT, we have like 20 or 30+ players to resign or let go of. That likely means we will likely have a lot more new players on our team through the draft, free agency, or trading. This team may look very different from what we see today (hopefully for the better).

New players, new HC, new scheme, new culture, new attitude, new gameplan, etc. 2021 may be our year, but along with our schedule (we play the NFCW (YIKES), the NFCN (Browns may improve, Steelers look good even with injuries, and the Ravens may still be redhot), possibly the Saints if we win our division, Packers or Vikes, and more, 2020 does not look like our season at all.

I would NOT raise my expectations beyond anything we feel right now for 2020 no matter what HC or player we pick up. If you do, you will be disappointed.
Yes. A new coach can fix literally 95 percent of the problems on this team in one offseason. The other 5 percent are in the owners box which a coach has no control over. A guy like Urban fixes a lot of issues here very quickly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Anyone ever tell you that you have the remarkable gift of being able to find the negative in everything?

Wapp5200

Reaction score
There's no chance for everything to get fixed as long as our dysfunctional egomaniac owner is still around.
Thats a major part of the problem. Jones is the owner, GM and for all intense and purpose, the coach. We all know he calls the shots. We have plenty of talent. Lets hope for the best.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some look back to the change from Campo to Parcells and from Parcells to Phillips and from Phillips to Garrett mid season as the template for this team.

It is the general opinion here that this team is underachieving because of the coaching and they will respond favorably to a change. We'll have to see which HC is hired and exactly the power he can wield.

Sometimes, it's not just the HC but the situation. I think some of those players are just like I am, I am ready to see what they look like with the change. I am really tired of watching Garrett on the sideline, it really makes the games unenjoyable. I am just tired of his look. The only activity I see from him on the sideline is the clapping and shoving players in the shoulder pads when they make a play, I've never a HC do that before and it looks really stupid.

I do not want Rivera, not enough activity, give me Meyer or Riley as they at least give me some activity on the sideline. Booger once said he didn't want a "walk around HC" but he hired a "stand around HC". I am simple, activity is the illusion of something positive. I know, I know, I am fooling myself but why burst my own bubble?

I gotta say, there are times I've looked closely to see if Garrett's headset is even plugged in.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes..

Quick fixes happen all of the time in the NFL and Dallas has a great roster but some of the most basic bland coaching I’ve ever seen.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Not if team obliterator AKA Jones continue to meddle. Belichick even couldn't win here.:facepalm: Why would any good coach want to coach in Dallas with Skeletor running everything and telling you how to coach?

bewp7

Reaction score
probably not but i dont think people realize just how bad this entire coaching staff is.

sam darnold and some one from the vikings straight up told the media they knew exactly what the cowboys were going to do on offense and defense and they still didn’t change anything.

another thing that really bothers me is that every single team that played the bears this season had enough common sense to take away trubisky’s legs and force them to beat them with his arm (he can’t because he STINKS), but the cowboys genius coaches had to do things “their way” and let trubisky run all over them. same thing with driskel, allen, and every other qb that can run at all.

the entire staff needs to GO. it would be hard to do any worse!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but a Jimmy Johnson 4 year plan with right coaches and personnel decisions, yes.
And a Herschel Walker trade? lol

The reality is this team is nowhere near as talent poor as the one Jimmy inherited. We don't have to start from scratch. And the notion the OP had that a new playbook/scheme would be incredibly difficult isn't really accurate either. Most of the plays in the Cowboy playbook are the same as in other teams playbooks. There may be variations, and they may have a little more motion or be less predictable in how plays are called, but it's not like asking players to learn a foreign language.

plasticman

Reaction score
No, all final decisions still go through Jerry and any new Head Coach will not have full authority.

Regardless of what he will be told, players know Jerry will always have the power to override a coaching decision. Therefore, there is no reason to fear and thus respect a new Head Coach.

It's an endless cycle until.....well, you know....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing about this, with the names mentioned so far, the sideline management of the game would be improved.

You know the image I have of the players looking to Garrett when it's on the line. It's like Dennis Hopper's son looking at him when Gene Hackman has just turned the game over to him in "Hoosiers". The mixture of fear and hope.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Besides the specific HC, it will all come down to how he's treated by the Joneses. If it's like Garrett with them attending meetings and running interference for the players, it will be uphill for that HC as well.

They need to learn a valuable lesson, one that I learned when I had to start hiring managers. My confidence in that person was better demonstrated by my absence than my presence.

tico

Reaction score
It's a process...
It doesn't matter it's a new day..

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's talking about just one off-season - the last guy had 10 years for cripe sakes.

Brax

Reaction score
Everything?

Likely not.

But it fixes a big problem. With a new coaching staff, however, there is likely going to be a shifting of values in certain kinds of players, which means the roster made need some tweaks. For example, the next HC and DC might put a premium on dominant DT play, demanding we put more resources into the position.
The next HC will say yes Jerry just like the current one, as for OC and DC guess who will be picking them. Hope it's not the way it will be but I don't believe JJ will change his spots.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, coaching matters. They just need to be allowed to do their schemes and installs with minimal influence from the Jones clan.