Do you guys really think a new coaching staff is going to fix everything within one offseason?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
No not at all. If it is the right coaching staff Dallas is at least 2-3 years out from being a contender.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We just gave this clown 10 years. I'm thinking we can grant a 2-3 years of rope for a new coach.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Recently, Pederson won in his 2nd season and Mcvay went to the SB in his second as well. I am not sure about the past, nothing immediately comes to mind.
but both those coaches caught fire with their respected teams and there was visible change and improvement

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't have the answer but I do know it doesn't matter now, change is necessary and this has gone too far down this road to turn back.

Schramm was a far better and smarter GM because when this unrest was circling about his HC, he responded with a new 10 year contract and shut it down immediately. He was also all about keeping distractions out of Landry's locker room and would go as far to keep things some of the players had done from Landry so Landry wouldn't have to act on that.

This GM creates and invites distractions to the point the only time these players know they're on a football team is when they're in a game and even then, we can't be sure. Think Schramm would have called it a sign of leadership if Hardy slapped the clipboard out of Landry's STC or the sign of passion if a player walked off the field before the gun?

So, before I can answer the OP's question, tell me, will this be the players' team or a HC's?
real good and true post...the problem for the most part has always been Jerry's meddling and stealing "shine" for himself

lopey

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Dallas gets your dream staff (HC, DC, OC, and ST coordinator). Rather it be Riley, Rivera, Rhule, Meyer, etc.

Do you really believe they can change this team within an offseason?
The new HC will have to bring a modern playbook and a new scheme. That is not easy in itself. After that, comes the players....

As we all know, the culture of the Cowboys is a major problem. A new HC may help with this, but it will not solve the problem completely, especially not in one offseason. Think about it. What is one thing our players lack? Leadership. Brotherhood. Wills to win. Compassion for the game. Thinking as a unit/team rather than an individual.

You look at the Ravens and you see a classic football team. A team that has each others backs (brotherhood). Everyone in that locker room gets along. Everyone in that locker room plays for the team rather than themselves. Everyone in that locker room has energy, passion, and most of all, they have fun at the end of the day. Even though all these players chase money, contracts, and likes on social media, they don't put it ahead of football.

Our players do NOT do this. Rather it be because Jason Garrett allows it, or the culture of Jerry Jones, it will not be an easy fix AT ALL. Look at Jaylon Smith or even Zeke this season. Shannon Sharpe made a good point on Undisputed Today when talking about Le'Veon Bell and his stupid bowling situations. He said "Players today don't care about winning. They could care less about winning. They care about social media and likes." That perfectly represents our team.

Not only does the new HC have to create a new playbook, gameplan, and scheme, along with changing the culture and attitudes of our players, they have to adjust to the team themselves. Settling into a new team is very hard, especially if we grab a college HC. On top of that, our players will have to adjust as well. Some players struggle more than others when it comes to change. That will be our team next year.

On top of THAT, we have like 20 or 30+ players to resign or let go of. That likely means we will likely have a lot more new players on our team through the draft, free agency, or trading. This team may look very different from what we see today (hopefully for the better).

New players, new HC, new scheme, new culture, new attitude, new gameplan, etc. 2021 may be our year, but along with our schedule (we play the NFCW (YIKES), the NFCN (Browns may improve, Steelers look good even with injuries, and the Ravens may still be redhot), possibly the Saints if we win our division, Packers or Vikes, and more, 2020 does not look like our season at all.

I would NOT raise my expectations beyond anything we feel right now for 2020 no matter what HC or player we pick up. If you do, you will be disappointed.
No especially the culture, that takes new players and time.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
but both those coaches caught fire with their respected teams and there was visible change and improvement

Well, new coaches brought different ideas. LA was a dumpster fire. That is what we are here discussing right? Can a new head coach bring improvements and visible change? I just gave you two recent examples which is what you asked for. There is no reason the same can’t happen in Dallas as long as Jerry backs off a bit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stas--- but i forget who was saying it on one of the shows but....they said....its not the head coach that is the problem its always been Jerry...Jerry must meddle and steal power from the coaches....it did get me thinking when he said that

It's definitely a negative factor.

And one that the name he hires will tell me is getting better or staying the same.

catiii

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Dallas gets your dream staff (HC, DC, OC, and ST coordinator). Rather it be Riley, Rivera, Rhule, Meyer, etc.

The new HC will have to bring a modern playbook and a new scheme. That is not easy in itself. After that, comes the players....

As we all know, the culture of the Cowboys is a major problem. A new HC may help with this, but it will not solve the problem completely, especially not in one offseason. Think about it. What is one thing our players lack? Leadership. Brotherhood. Wills to win. Compassion for the game. Thinking as a unit/team rather than an individual.

You look at the Ravens and you see a classic football team. A team that has each others backs (brotherhood). Everyone in that locker room gets along. Everyone in that locker room plays for the team rather than themselves. Everyone in that locker room has energy, passion, and most of all, they have fun at the end of the day. Even though all these players chase money, contracts, and likes on social media, they don't put it ahead of football.

Our players do NOT do this. Rather it be because Jason Garrett allows it, or the culture of Jerry Jones, it will not be an easy fix AT ALL. Look at Jaylon Smith or even Zeke this season. Shannon Sharpe made a good point on Undisputed Today when talking about Le'Veon Bell and his stupid bowling situations. He said "Players today don't care about winning. They could care less about winning. They care about social media and likes." That perfectly represents our team.

Not only does the new HC have to create a new playbook, gameplan, and scheme, along with changing the culture and attitudes of our players, they have to adjust to the team themselves. Settling into a new team is very hard, especially if we grab a college HC. On top of that, our players will have to adjust as well. Some players struggle more than others when it comes to change. That will be our team next year.

On top of THAT, we have like 20 or 30+ players to resign or let go of. That likely means we will likely have a lot more new players on our team through the draft, free agency, or trading. This team may look very different from what we see today (hopefully for the better).

New players, new HC, new scheme, new culture, new attitude, new gameplan, etc. 2021 may be our year, but along with our schedule (we play the NFCW (YIKES), the NFCN (Browns may improve, Steelers look good even with injuries, and the Ravens may still be redhot), possibly the Saints if we win our division, Packers or Vikes, and more, 2020 does not look like our season at all.

I would NOT raise my expectations beyond anything we feel right now for 2020 no matter what HC or player we pick up. If you do, you will be disappointed.
:hammer:
Wow you said it all. I have zero expectations for this organisation or ANY coach they hire unless it's Aikman or Romo. Impossible I know but THEY would get me truly invested and excited for this team.
The other names people are throwing around like Urban do not impress me at all. Character matters. The Star has been tarnished long enough.
Honestly, I don't see anything changing as long as the team has the same owners.
In the words of JoDee Messina, "My GiveADamsBusted." They waited too long to make a change......

Last edited:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't have the answer but I do know it doesn't matter now, change is necessary and this has gone too far down this road to turn back.

Schramm was a far better and smarter GM because when this unrest was circling about his HC, he responded with a new 10 year contract and shut it down immediately. He was also all about keeping distractions out of Landry's locker room and would go as far to keep things some of the players had done from Landry so Landry wouldn't have to act on that.

This GM creates and invites distractions to the point the only time these players know they're on a football team is when they're in a game and even then, we can't be sure. Think Schramm would have called it a sign of leadership if Hardy slapped the clipboard out of Landry's STC or the sign of passion if a player walked off the field before the gun?

So, before I can answer the OP's question, tell me, will this be the players' team or a HC's?

also..it really in one way ticked me off how Jerry allowed interest in Urban Meyer get out...if that does not bring huge distraction and pop the balloon on Garretts message to the players nothing will....i agree the players are not hearing the coaches but that is such a slap in the face for current leadership and it will reflect on players...unless somehow some way the players come together on their own...but i dont remember a team being this dysfunctional and rising up at the end?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, new coaches brought different ideas. LA was a dumpster fire. That is what we are here discussing right? Can a new head coach bring improvements and visible change? I just gave you two recent examples which is what you asked for. There is no reason the same can’t happen in Dallas as long as Jerry backs off a bit.
but i heard on one of the talk shows....a new coach cant help much in Dallas because Jerry must meddle and steal shine and disempower coaches....only Jimmy and the Tuna blocked him

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
but i heard on one of the talk shows....a new coach cant help much in Dallas because Jerry must meddle and steal shine and disempower coaches....only Jimmy and the Tuna blocked him

It is why I said that Jerry needs to back off, said it twice already :thumbup:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is why I said that Jerry needs to back off, said it twice already :thumbup:
tabas...but is that even a remote possibility?..i am being honest here....if Jerry honestly cared he would have stepped down as GM....he even said himself after a bad year....if i was not the owner and GM i wouild have fired myself

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Listen, if you're going to just quit, give up, have no hope, whatever you want to call it please do us all a favor and go root for some other team. Whining and complaining about everything everyday does nothing but make this a horrible place for those of us that do have hope. And that goes to all the other posters who feel the same way.

Big_D

Reaction score
We'll see if he hires another water boy with no experience. If he hires a real coach with real skins on the wall and an actual resume the circumstances instantly change. I believe a coach like that can turn a pretty good team into a contender. The time frame doesn't even matter at this point. It's been 24 years.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
Every coach for Dallas has the same grocery buyer...I doubt any coach could win with this organization the way it is...

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You betcha. Matt Lafleur ring a bell? GB was 6 - 9 last season & currently they're 10 - 3.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
tabas...but is that even a remote possibility?..i am being honest here....if Jerry honestly cared he would have stepped down as GM....he even said himself after a bad year....if i was not the owner and GM i wouild have fired myself

I don’t know but the more public pressure put on Jerry increases that chance day by day. But, I am certain that a whole new coaching staff(with better schemes) is needed to have a better chance to overcome the meddling Jerry.

One thing is clear......our current staff can’t do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
aging? Smith perhaps, the rest are in prime. Williams is in his second year.....

battered...perhaps....
Yes the All Pros are aging and all nursing injuries. Smith drafted 2011, Frederick 2013 and Martin 2014 all in their second contracts and IMO aren’t the dominating force. Martin might be only 1st team Pro Bowler this year mostly on reputation.

We haven’t dominated any of the better defenses on LOS I can recall this year. It’s become an overhyped group.