Do you honestly believe we are that far off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess what these guys have in common:

Sean McVay
Andy Reid
Dan Quinn
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh
Bill Belichick
Tony Dungy
Sean Payton
Jon Gruden
Mike McCarthy
Gary Kubiak
Mike Tomlin
Doug Pederson

Over the past 20 years, all these coaches at least led their teams to a conference championship game appearance in 3 years or less. I'm sure I missed a few names but those are the ones I was able to remember off the dome.

Point being, in most cases if a coach is a championship caliber coach, those traits are usually exhibited with on field results in a fairly short amount of time. Yet here we are in Dallas quickly approaching a decade under Garrett with nothing to show for it except a couple of wild card wins.

Franchises who are being led by owners who are actually results oriented and place winning a championship as priority #1, churn their coach in 5 years or less if they're not at least getting to a CCG. This lets me know that despite what Jerry and Stephen Jones are peddling, winning is absolutely not their top priority.

Can't be.

Not when you're intentionally handicapping yourself year after year.
Truth.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
He's not as bad as some of you are making him out to be. At the beginning of the year, yeah, he struggled to play with consistency. But after the Cooper trade he played well.

As for his level of play in the postseason....I'd argue that Dak's level of play was superior to every QB playing yesterday.

Really? Id love to hear how

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Hey Corso! Question for you, and I don't know that this is your particular area of expertise but here goes......

If you could bring a case against the Officiating, in a civil action, how good a chance would you have of winning it? Never mind that you can't really do this to the NFL but in a civil context, could you win it and if so, would it turn you into the next Shapiro?
Zero chance.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I didn’t say nothing else is rational. I said you’re not being rational.

I’ve been going through this since back when Garrett would never get over .500. We went through it when he’d never qualify for the post season. Never win the East regularly. Never get past the first round because he’s “one and done.” Now it’s “never get to the Championship game.” The goal posts, they move.

The goal posts should always the same. Coach well. Garrett costs us one or two games a season with game/clock management.

A QB doesn't determine the win loss record. The HC doesn't either. Particularly here. They should be judged on their play/decisions.

The difference between a coach and a QB is that a coach isn't being chased by 300 lb monsters while he makes split second decisions. He doesn't have to *execute*. He just has to choose right. Garrett choses wrong way too often.

It's hard to know just how much to blame him for problems with the coaching staff nominally "under" him, because it's not clear how much authority he has over the staff. Our coaching staff has issues. Whether Garrett contributes to them, fails to correct them, or doesn't have the power to correct them, the result remains that they don't get corrected by him.

aria

Reaction score
I’m back to expecting nothing from this team, it’s much easier that way. We won in a banged up division which was fortunate for us, not so sure it will be as easy next year. We got shut out by the Colts...SHUT OUT. We beat the Saints in a game filled with controversial calls and no calls and we got straight up steam rolled by the Rams, both physically and coaching wise. Ae also have some big contracts to fill in the next two years and this “great” deal we got by trading away our 1st rounder for Amari netted us 1 playoff win and will come with a hefty price tag in a year. The more I type themore depressing it gets, I think we have one or two more years to do something before we start running into more problems (player wise).

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Until we got gashed for nearly 300 rushing yards last week, I would say we're close. But that perfornance was the most troubling thing I saw all year and in rhe biggest game. Our lack of size at DT and Gregory at RDE are major problems vs the run against smart OC.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goal posts should always the same. Coach well. Garrett costs us one or two games a season with game/clock management.

A QB doesn't determine the win loss record. The HC doesn't either. Particularly here. They should be judged on their play/decisions.

The difference between a coach and a QB is that a coach isn't being chased by 300 lb monsters while he makes split second decisions. He doesn't have to *execute*. He just has to choose right. Garrett choses wrong way too often.

It's hard to know just how much to blame him for problems with the coaching staff nominally "under" him, because it's not clear how much authority he has over the staff. Our coaching staff has issues. Whether Garrett contributes to them, fails to correct them, or doesn't have the power to correct them, the result remains that they don't get corrected by him.

He doesn’t actually cost games each season with click mismanagement though. Hats just something people say when they want to second guess play calls that don’t work out.

He has cost a couple of games in his career with mismanagement. But it’s yet another thing that’s massively exaggerated by fans who don’t like him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

At last, someone who admits to not knowing how much blame to lay on JG. For some strange reason, which doesn't make sense at all, when he was OC from 2007-2009 and the offense was top 10, we blamed a combination of JG the OC and Phillips the HC for not getting over the hump in the playoffs. 2010 was a mess for the interim HC and OC but the team turned around a bit and finished 5-3 and the expectations started for an improvement.

We struggled through the 8-8 years in 2011 and 2012 with a rebuild. Today fans say, if it wasn't for Romo during the 8-8 years we probably go 4-12 because Romo was that good. Never mind that according to some the HC has a big impact as it's been said over and over all season. Ergo JG must have had some contribution in getting the team to 8-8 and anyone who knew the team then KNEW the O-line NEEDED to be addressed and we had no running game. So half a brain fan knew that 8-8 was in large part due to the O-line and yes Romo and JG turned what could have been dismal seasons into competitive seasons right up to the last game. Then 2013 and a new OC, Tyron, Freddy and Leary starting and a very good O-line in the making, again 8-8 so it must be the HC right. Never mind that we blamed JG the OC as part of the reason for not getting over the hump from 2007-2009. See where I'm going here? We blamed him as the OC in his early years, then when a different OC comes in and we still can't get over the hump it's all on the HC. It makes no sense to blame JG for every evil in the Dallas Cowboy football world.

Simple fix. Bring in an OC who can manage the game and the clock. A clock manager if you will and let JG call the plays again. His offenses (some would say Romo's offenses) were nearly always top 10. I assume he had a hand in that and it wasn't all deified Romo

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sure Unknown guys start somewhere, but usually they get promoted for doing a good job at their last position. Has Dak regressed since 2016? Were we 3-5 until the Coop trade? Has Dak lit the NFL on fire this year? It be different if this was Mahomes QB Coach who got a promotion. Also Moore is moving up the coaching ladder rather quickly it seems. You don't see anything quirky with someone climbing the coaching ladder that fast on a team without any obvious accomplishments? I suppose if you guys were to be running some company, you would promote just anyone from entry level to manager in a three year time span.

For one, Moore was at Detroit for 3 years, then has been with Dallas for 4 years now. Didn't play a lot but he's certainly been able to watch and learn things. And it's not like he's being named the head coach, and apparently Garrett will be calling the plays, so Moore won't have as much responsibility, and input as Linehan or someone like that has.

But I'm guessing you didn't like Linehan and wanted a change, so the Cowboys fire him and put in a young energetic guy, and now you don't like that either?

You just want something to whine about...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Simple fix. Bring in an OC who can manage the game and the clock. A clock manager if you will and let JG call the plays again. His offenses (some would say Romo's offenses) were nearly always top 10. I assume he had a hand in that and it wasn't all deified Romo

OCs don't manage the clock because clock management has to take the entire game into account, not just the offense. Arguably the problem with Garrett at HC is that he doesn't seem to understand that, or doesn't care. He calls the offense for the offense, not taking into account how the offense can make the job of the defense easier.

What you're describing is Garrett as game day OC, and someone else as gameday HC. Which would have been an improvement this year. But I don't see that flipping of responsibility happening.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He doesn’t actually cost games each season with click mismanagement though. Hats just something people say when they want to second guess play calls that don’t work out.

He has cost a couple of games in his career with mismanagement. But it’s yet another thing that’s massively exaggerated by fans who don’t like him.

Our theories of football game management apparently clash.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
For one, Moore was at Detroit for 3 years, then has been with Dallas for 4 years now. Didn't play a lot but he's certainly been able to watch and learn things. And it's not like he's being named the head coach, and apparently Garrett will be calling the plays, so Moore won't have as much responsibility, and input as Linehan or someone like that has.

But I'm guessing you didn't like Linehan and wanted a change, so the Cowboys fire him and put in a young energetic guy, and now you don't like that either?

You just want something to whine about...

I want this team to get better. Usually someone from a better team gets brought in to replace the coordinator if you fire the last one. Like I said before, you promote internally if your offense was hot. But since I am just whining here, and you're not, care to explain to me how exactly Moore is an upgrade from Linehan? I'm not for getting rid of Dak and promoting one of our backup QBs either.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
OCs don't manage the clock because clock management has to take the entire game into account, not just the offense. Arguably the problem with Garrett at HC is that he doesn't seem to understand that, or doesn't care. He calls the offense for the offense, not taking into account how the offense can make the job of the defense easier.

What you're describing is Garrett as game day OC, and someone else as gameday HC. Which would have been an improvement this year. But I don't see that flipping of responsibility happening.

McVay is HC, calls the offensive plays and has an assistant clock manager. The trend at one time was for the HC to distance himself from play calling, offensively or defensively. Times are changing. We have more than capable defensive coordinators in Mari and Richard. There are ways to overcome JG's problems with clock management which hasn't been nearly the issue that it was. I'm not saying it's non-existent I'm saying there are ways to correct it. If you want to make it easier on the defense, simple. Use long, time consuming drives with Zeke and a more creative passing game using Dak's ability especially on 3'rd down and in the red zone.That's how Romo became successful under JG as the OC. During the 2007-2009 years we used an effective run/pass game. We missed out in 2008 by a broken/dislocated finger and a backup in Brad Johnson who couldn't maintain the w/l record that Romo left him with. By all accounts Moore has a sharp football mind. That gives us 2 sharp offensive football minds running the offense. Just me being optimistic

Wood

Reaction score
Do you honestly believe we are that far off?

Based on what I saw in the Rams's/Saints we aren't

Even with JG as our HC

Even with Dak as our QB

Even with JJ as our owner

Even with Kitna as the QB coach

AND the possibility of Mini Me Moore as our OC

We aren't that far behind McVay/Goff, Payton/Brees and the Rams/Saints.

Comments? Bring 'em

I would say they are definitely a Head Coach away and possible QB away.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Here is the issue with this team. It started way back when they decided that they wanted to build the trenches. They had skilled players at the skill position but the OL was so bad they needed to use 3 1st rounders on it plus other draft capital to fix the blocking. That in turn caused what aging and avg talent on the defense to die on the vine, they react again to fix the defense and now they are in a vicious cycle of over drafting one side of the ball or the other. When most teams are looking to fill holes here and there Dallas seems to have gaping holes or deficiencies on one side of the ball or the other. There draft strategy does appear sound but they tend to over react and just going with BPA at a position of need they shotgun the draft and go heavy on onside to make up for the fact they went heavy on one side the previous year.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Here is the issue with this team. It started way back when they decided that they wanted to build the trenches. They had skilled players at the skill position but the OL was so bad they needed to use 3 1st rounders on it plus other draft capital to fix the blocking. That in turn caused what aging and avg talent on the defense to die on the vine, they react again to fix the defense and now they are in a vicious cycle of over drafting one side of the ball or the other. When most teams are looking to fill holes here and there Dallas seems to have gaping holes or deficiencies on one side of the ball or the other. There draft strategy does appear sound but they tend to over react and just going with BPA at a position of need they shotgun the draft and go heavy on onside to make up for the fact they went heavy on one side the previous year.

Another problem with the strategy, and we seen it here before, is the offensive line can get old over night. I mean Romo started out with a good offensive line, then had the worst, and then again this current group. I hear people here complain about the line not being good enough for Dak, and I feer the day it will get horrible again, which could be next year for all we know, or the year after that. The 90's line wasn't build with first round picks. I wish we had someone with a good eye and the talent to develop a line, versus always using the first round pick to replenish the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.