Does Anyone Else Feel Like We Are Hitting A Personnel Cliff?

McMicah

Reaction score
I’m loving the solid moves the Cowboys have made this off-season so far, but Im also concerned we are quietly approaching a significant personnel cliff in the next 2 years due to age or guys just not quite worth a new contract (T Smith, Martin, Gilmore, Cooks, Lawrence, our DTs, etc)

They’d have to draft extremely well to cover outgoing personnel while also improving other positions

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To build and maintain a solid team you have to draft well. With a salary cap you can’t be loading up on high priced free agents. Great teams that win consistently are still built through the draft. That’s where you find your greatest players and have them at a reasonable price for a few years.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Now that they have discovered how to trade late round picks for proven vets, I feel better about replacements in the future.

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m loving the solid moves the Cowboys have made this off-season so far, but Im also concerned we are quietly approaching a significant personnel cliff in the next 2 years due to age or guys just not quite worth a new contract (T Smith, Martin, Gilmore, Cooks, Lawrence, our DTs, etc)

They’d have to draft extremely well to cover outgoing personnel while also improving other positions
I don’t agree. I think they’ve done well the last few years. Besides, why stress over POSSIBLE negative developments 3 or 4 years from now, especially when there’s nothing we can do about it? It’s a year to year league anyways!

Enjoy the now!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I believe we had one of the youngest rosters in the league last year. Yes, we have some major players approaching the ends of their careers, but we also have some young players stepping to the forefront. Aside from the two OL you mentioned, our other three starters are fairly young players. Defensive line outside of Lawrence is a young group. Gilmore joins a corner group where the other two of the top three (Diggs and Bland) are pretty young.

The hope is to have young stars like Tyler to take over when the older stars like Tyron age out. Doesn't always work, but that's the goal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Tyron, Steele, and Biadasz are all in contract years.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Dallas was the 3rd youngest team in the NFL last year. They do have some older players, but Dallas has less than most.

Tyler Smith is Tyron Smith's replacement.
Gilmore has a one year deal.
Cooks has a two year deal.
Lawrence has three years left.
Martin has three years left.

There's this years draft and the following two to find the replacements for these players. Dallas will be fine.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Hitting a cliff?
Spouting mixed metaphors won't get you far in life.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
With all the cap space the team has accumulated through restructures and cuts, it seems like the Cowboys are primed to offer lucrative 1 year deals to some of the remaining impact free agents.

While it’s surprising Wagner didn’t fit into the teams plans, it may of been more his desire to go back to Seattle. He had a contentious departure, and maybe wanted to make things right.

I’m looking for the front office to be aggressive with the cap space, or we’ll likely go into the season short of the depth we need.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Every team has a window with their core players, but this team should remain well positioned for the forseeable future. On defense sans Lawrence and Gilmore this is a young defense that will remain competitive because of talented players at every level. Lawrence is a good player, that's underappreciated here, but he's closer to a good starter like Greg Ellis, than a hall of famer in Demarcus Ware.

Offensively, the offensive line is going to need to get some young talent at some point. I would prioritize an interior linemen this year. Tyler Smith and Steele will likely be the tackles for years ahead, while the interior may have some questions. Add an RB to the mix and get Dak back on track and this should remain a top 10ish offense.

T-RO

Reaction score
My hunch is this thread wouldn't get posted next month after the draft, when we get juiced up with new youth.

Cowboys still have 7 picks and all the premium ones.