Does Dak want non-exclusive tag?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Saw on ESPN this morning that the non-exclusive franchise tag for a QB would be $27 million next season. That also gives Dak the ability to talk to other teams.

It also means that if a team wants to sign him to an unreasonably expensive contract, they would have to give us two first rounders as well.

The non-exclusive option would allow the team to get a better barometer as to the market for Dak, as well as having insurance if someone does pay him a stupid amount.

I’d much rather the team tag Dak than pay him the 40 million per year that he’s looking for.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw on ESPN this morning that the non-exclusive franchise tag for a QB would be $27 million next season. That also gives Dak the ability to talk to other teams.

It also means that if a team wants to sign him to an unreasonably expensive contract, they would have to give us two first rounders as well.

The non-exclusive option would allow the team to get a better barometer as to the market for Dak, as well as having insurance if someone does pay him a stupid amount.

I’d much rather the team tag Dak than pay him the 40 million per year that he’s looking for.

I don't think "$40 million" is his legitimate asking price.

But I would be fine with your suggestion of the non-exclusive tag and that $27 million number. He and his agent need to be aware of the leverage and options that the Cowboys also have in these negotiations.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’d imagine Mahomes signs next offseason and he’ll probably get 50 million per year, so you’re probably close with that 45 million.
I think Mahomes would be stupid to sign anything with term before the CBA expires, especially with new TV deals coming in 2022 - this is true for almost every marquee player.

Mahomes will probably get $50m, if nothing changes. But a significant cap increase with the TV deal and he could end up over $60m by the time all is said and done.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Dak is the Jason Garrett of QBs. And I like Dak. We would have had the SAME record with Teddy Bridgewater. Dak is not a difference maker. Much like Jason Garrett was/is not. A high school coach would have coached this team to the SAME record as Jason Garrett has. Heck...I could have gotten the same results Jason Garrett got. And I am not trying to be funny. I am being dead serious. If Jason Garrett statyed in the lockeroom for every game. Our results would have been no worse. Maybe better.

Now of course I am not suggesting the team could have won 8 games without a QB on the field. What I am saying is...Ryan Fitzpatrick could have won 8 games with this team.

Dak NEEDS a lot of talent around him for this team to have a chance. And if you give him over 25m....you cannot put the requisite talent he NEEDS to be successful!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Please provide a link saying he’s begging for that tag.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It really wouldn't be a good barometer because being required to give up two 1st rounders changes the dynamic. That's not a true open market scenario.

quickccc

Reaction score

I doubt Dak is gonna be talking to other NFL teams.

We've seen how the QB contracts ends up. NFL teams get their franchise guys re-signed up in record deals. Both sides want the other on a long term deal.

But I would not be surprised if the Dak camp elects to hold out in camp to place bigger pressure on Cowboys organization to close the deal in their favor.
Teams do not care (cannot afford?) for their franchise QB guys ot be holding out and missing very valuable preparation and rapport time away from the coaches and offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Two first rounders would be nice but I'd hate to see someone like the Patriots sign him.

lol nobody would sign him for the amount of money he wants and give up picks as well.

If they did it would be a huge win for Dallas.

The only team I see that will come close to giving him what he wants is Dallas.

I personally would love to see him not tagged and just go on the open market and see what his true market value is.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak is the Jason Garrett of QBs. And I like Dak. We would have had the SAME record with Teddy Bridgewater. Dak is not a difference maker. Much like Jason Garrett was/is not. A high school coach would have coached this team to the SAME record as Jason Garrett has. Heck...I could have gotten the same results Jason Garrett got. And I am not trying to be funny. I am being dead serious. If Jason Garrett statyed in the lockeroom for every game. Our results would have been no worse. Maybe better.

100%.

He's just not a difference maker. He's just out there and against good opponents he never lifts the team up. Just like Garrett.

John813

Reaction score
I think it'll be wise to use that tag. Saves cap.

Still can negotiate a long term contract till July 15th but at least now they would only be on the hook for 27.7mil instead of 32.xx(IIRC) going into free agency. Not an earth shattering amount but could make the difference in retaining a guy like Jones or Collins and having breathing space during the season etc...

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think it's just in the best interest of the Cowboys to extend him to a 3-5 year deal as soon as possible. Jerry won't find another franchise QB in this year's draft and his teams usually finish too mediocre to land a premium draft pick.

We need to get this deal done now before Mahomes and Watson get theirs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think Mahomes would be stupid to sign anything with term before the CBA expires, especially with new TV deals coming in 2022 - this is true for almost every marquee player.

Mahomes will probably get $50m, if nothing changes. But a significant cap increase with the TV deal and he could end up over $60m by the time all is said and done.
Gone are the days when contracts just seemed reasonable, and were rarely even discussed by the fan base.