Does Dak want non-exclusive tag?

leeblair

Reaction score
The kid is owed something for the past 4 years. Regardless of how he played, or how you feel about his abilities, he has been the starter in Dallas for the past 4 years and has only been paid a minimal salary.
So I'm okay with one or two years at $25-$30 million, which is in reality partially back pay.
But for the Cowboys to obligate $100 million plus to him over the next 4 or 5 years would be financially irresponsible.
But he does need another year at least to prove himself.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I don't think "$40 million" is his legitimate asking price.

But I would be fine with your suggestion of the non-exclusive tag and that $27 million number. He and his agent need to be aware of the leverage and options that the Cowboys also have in these negotiations.
The Cowboys have no leverage. Please tell me what 4 year QBs that are 26 years young, who do not have a losing record, that have 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win in 4 years, threw for 2nd most yards, finished Top 10 passer rating, finished Top 5 total QB rating, and is universally recognized in the NFL as a team leader is available in free agency or the draft?

If the Cowboys franchise him they would have to pay top 5 salary average, he will skip all off season workouts with a new coaching staff, and you will continue something that did not work by treating the leader of the team like he is not valuable to the team. How did that work out last year? How will that help the Dallas Cowboys?

If they put a non exclusive tag, Dak will go to a Super Bowl contender with a defense (see NE), Dallas will get 2 no.1 picks and draft another Taco, injured LB, or trade it for a WR that may not be on the team (see Amari, Roy Williams, Joey Galloway, etc.). Do you know who is the GM of the Dallas Cowboy when you talk about draft picks and trades? UGGGHHHH!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have no leverage. Please tell me what 4 year QBs that are 26 years young, who do not have a losing record, that have 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win in 4 years, threw for 2nd most yards, finished Top 10 passer rating, finished Top 5 total QB rating, and is universally recognized in the NFL as a team leader is available in free agency or the draft?

Have you looked at the current list of free agent quarterbacks? It's the largest and most established that the league has ever seen. And it actually has guys who have actually done things and won things. I couldn't care less about the "4 year QB's" nonsense.

If the Cowboys franchise him they would have to pay top 5 salary average, he will skip all off season workouts with a new coaching staff, and you will continue something that did not work by treating the leader of the team like he is not valuable to the team. How did that work out last year? How will that help the Dallas Cowboys?

If he decides to "skip" the offseason stuff, I'll exercise my full rights to look for alternatives, both in free agency and the draft. And then Dak and Co can worry about losing their seat at the table and scurrying to find someone else to pay them on a lesser team.

If they put a non exclusive tag, Dak will go to a Super Bowl contender with a defense (see NE), Dallas will get 2 no.1 picks and draft another Taco, injured LB, or trade it for a WR that may not be on the team (see Amari, Roy Williams, Joey Galloway, etc.). Do you know who is the GM of the Dallas Cowboy when you talk about draft picks and trades? UGGGHHHH!!!!

They'll never get it, certainly not from New England. They're not as stupid as fans are and would never part with two #1 picks and then pay top-of-the-market-money. I guess people fail to realize that they never paid top money for the greatest quarterback of all time.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

The same one that drafted Dak...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And pay a scrub qb more than $27million per season on top of giving up 2 1st rounders. Ain’t happening by any coach in the nfl with dak

It shows the naivete of many fans to even suggest such a thing. They talk without any knowledge or support for what they're talking about.

Number1

Reaction score
I think Mahomes would be stupid to sign anything with term before the CBA expires, especially with new TV deals coming in 2022 - this is true for almost every marquee player.

Mahomes will probably get $50m, if nothing changes. But a significant cap increase with the TV deal and he could end up over $60m by the time all is said and done.

when is the new CBA expected? is 2020 cap space set in stone?

I'm sure the CBA will shape terms every contract, if they sign him next week or next year.

Mahomes - I'll lay money $100M+ of it guaranteed

the idea the Boys and Dak don't agree to a deal this off-season is a bit far fetched to me, both sides want to get it done
but Dak gets an extra $10m in ads playing here so the deal won't be too rough on cap space.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
when is the new CBA expected? is 2020 cap space set in stone?

I'm sure the CBA will shape terms every contract, if they sign him next week or next year.

Mahomes - I'll lay money $100M+ of it guaranteed

the idea the Boys and Dak don't agree to a deal this off-season is a bit far fetched to me, both sides want to get it done
but Dak gets an extra $10m in ads playing here so the deal won't be too rough on cap space.
The CBA is set to expire after next season. For someone like Mahomes, we could be talking the difference of $100m over the life of the contract, depending on how the CBA changes.

The endorsement thing is bogus. There are about 20 places where Dak could get something similar.

erod

Reaction score
Then what. Use them to move up and get a QB that hasn’t played a down yet. It’s all a gamble.. lol

Take both firsts, add our firsts this year and next, and call Cincinnati.

Take Joe Burrow, and you've got $90 million to play with in free agency.

Boom. You have a future.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Kind of misleading title. I went in thinking there’s an interview him stating it. I was going to say he’s got guts to come out and say that lol

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No reason not to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dak.

Also have to use the transition tag on Amari.

Number1

Reaction score
The CBA is set to expire after next season. For someone like Mahomes, we could be talking the difference of $100m over the life of the contract, depending on how the CBA changes.

The endorsement thing is bogus. There are about 20 places where Dak could get something similar.

my question was more about the CBA negotiations, I think it may be implemented before the current one expires

BTW, you may be underestimating the value of the Star.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
you may be underestimating the value of the Star
You may be overvaluing it...

Do people honestly believe there are significant endorsement deals he gets in Dallas that he wouldn't get in...LA, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Philly, or a handful of other markets? Maybe there's a difference, but I doubt very much that it's significant and I doubt even more that it weighs on contract negotiations.

starfan1

Reaction score
Saw on ESPN this morning that the non-exclusive franchise tag for a QB would be $27 million next season. That also gives Dak the ability to talk to other teams.

It also means that if a team wants to sign him to an unreasonably expensive contract, they would have to give us two first rounders as well.

The non-exclusive option would allow the team to get a better barometer as to the market for Dak, as well as having insurance if someone does pay him a stupid amount.

I’d much rather the team tag Dak than pay him the 40 million per year that he’s looking for.
why does everyone keep throwing out that whole 40 mil number? thats been debunked Less than Wilson is what Dak has said now maybe his camp is seeking more but i think the number is going to be 33.5 to 34.5

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, start with all of the teams that are in the market for a QB.

Next, all of the teams that have prepared to face him, that are looking for a QB.

Next, all of the teams that see his value equal to that of Rodgers, Ryan and Wilson.

Next, all of the teams willing to part with their 1st in 2020 and 2021, unless Miami would be winning to part with 2 of their 3 1sts in 2020.

Next, now the hardest part, all of the GM's willing to stake their job on a QB they have to give up 2 1sts and 33-35M a season and have the team around him to be successful. And keep in mind, these teams have seen him without his RB and his WR1.

The Cowboys would be stupid to tag him and pay 5M more than they have to with the non-exclusive unless Booger thinks there are 5 teams out there willing to sign him and give up 2 1sts like there were for his HC.

The FO has every good reason to transition tag him with a new HC and new offense.

erod

Reaction score
It can't be controlled, but if the Cowboys get two first rounders, I'd want better picks than late in the round.
But what if you took those two firsts, paired it with your own, and went up and got a franchise changer?