Does Dak want non-exclusive tag?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Take both firsts, add our firsts this year and next, and call Cincinnati.

Take Joe Burrow, and you've got $90 million to play with in free agency.

Boom. You have a future.
So your positive that burrow is going to be better than Dak in the NFL.

Number1

Reaction score
You may be overvaluing it...

Do people honestly believe there are significant endorsement deals he gets in Dallas that he wouldn't get in...LA, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Philly, or a handful of other markets? Maybe there's a difference, but I doubt very much that it's significant and I doubt even more that it weighs on contract negotiations.

:)
does anyone actually think the Cowboys franchise is really worth more money than other franchises?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think "$40 million" is his legitimate asking price.

But I would be fine with your suggestion of the non-exclusive tag and that $27 million number. He and his agent need to be aware of the leverage and options that the Cowboys also have in these negotiations.
Yeah I don’t know why people keep throwing that 40 million out there. I’m sure in the end they will meet somewhere in the middle.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You may be overvaluing it...

Do people honestly believe there are significant endorsement deals he gets in Dallas that he wouldn't get in...LA, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Philly, or a handful of other markets? Maybe there's a difference, but I doubt very much that it's significant and I doubt even more that it weighs on contract negotiations.
Yeah because if I see Baker Mayfield in one more commercial I’m gonna lose it and he’s in Cleveland of all places.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I dont think anything will happen till feb or march, then they will either get him signed or tag him.
I expect it to be settled before the draft.
Right now MM is settling in and hiring a staff, and then they will talk about the dak issue and is he their guy, etc.
then jones boys and mike will decide what to do with dak.
They need time to discuss and think about it.
I dont know what qb's are going to be top prospects in the draft this year, or if mike might like one of them.
That would be a factor in decision on dak.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not sure QB salaries will reach $60 million that quickly. In 2018 each NFL team received $255.9 million in revenue sharing from the NFL. Revenue will increase some over the next couple of years but unless the players add a 17th game, which the owners are asking for, I think the revenue is going to start to plateau. The NFL could get a little more from the TV networks, but there too, they are running into headwinds with ratings down overall.

$60 million would be in the area of 20% of total revenue and salaries do not go up in a vacuum. If QBs get $60 million, then WRs will get $25 million and the average for every position will go up. I just don't see how the owners can or will pay those salaries given the amount of money they get from the league. The owners support a salary cap because it ensures they make money on their teams.

I have no doubt QB salaries will someday reach $60 million, but not in 2 years. The revenue just isn't there and unless the revenue increases then the salary cap will go up in small increments not large chunks. It will not be feasible to field a competitive team paying one player $60 million a year. Of course, no one should underestimate the stupidity of NFL owners when it comes to signing players so I could be completely wrong.

I think the way baseball has handled player contracts has ruined the game. The NFL is being driven in that direction. I hate the salary cap but I also understand why its there. If contracts in football accelerate upwards, the NFL may be forced to abandon the type of cap they have ensuring big market teams will dominate while small market teams will struggle to compete.

Flamma

Reaction score
Saw on ESPN this morning that the non-exclusive franchise tag for a QB would be $27 million next season. That also gives Dak the ability to talk to other teams.

It also means that if a team wants to sign him to an unreasonably expensive contract, they would have to give us two first rounders as well.

The non-exclusive option would allow the team to get a better barometer as to the market for Dak, as well as having insurance if someone does pay him a stupid amount.

I’d much rather the team tag Dak than pay him the 40 million per year that he’s looking for.

Why would dak want a non exclusive tag? The exclusive tag is more money. No one is giving up 2 first rounders for him.

If you want to find out his market value, transition tag him.

hockix

Reaction score
The kid is owed something for the past 4 years. Regardless of how he played, or how you feel about his abilities, he has been the starter in Dallas for the past 4 years and has only been paid a minimal salary.
So I'm okay with one or two years at $25-$30 million, which is in reality partially back pay.
But for the Cowboys to obligate $100 million plus to him over the next 4 or 5 years would be financially irresponsible.
But he does need another year at least to prove himself.

They were financially irresponsible with Zeke !
You think they finally got it?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t know why people keep throwing that 40 million out there. I’m sure in the end they will meet somewhere in the middle.
Well people just get something in their head lol.
I read that it wasnt about the amount per year, it was the length of contract.
Jones boys wanted a 6-8 year contract at say 35-40 a year, and dak wanted a shorter contract, so he would have a shot a getting bigger contract
after say 4 years. That makes more sense than a debate over how much per year.
Many players in the nfl are paid more than they are worth, it is just the way it works.

I think they all should get 1 mil per year, and then at end of year, they all get bonus pay depending on how they played, and all the cap money is then
paid out.
That way a guy like aaron jones who had a good year would be fairly compensated, or some rookie who had a great year is fairly compensated.
As it is now a few guys get all the money, and most dont earn it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cool, tag him now and pay him $45 million in 2021.

I don't think he gets 45 in 2021, unless he actually has a blow out year and wins a Super Bowl but if he did that, I wouldn't have a problem paying him 45 because at that point, he will have proven he can get it done. See, it's not the money, it's the value IMO.

leeblair

Reaction score
They were financially irresponsible with Zeke !
You think they finally got it?
I think they were convinced that Dak would make Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones look like they knew what they were doing.
When the team still struggled, I think they lost a lot of enthusiasm for him.
Maybe it's justified.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take both firsts, add our firsts this year and next, and call Cincinnati.

Take Joe Burrow, and you've got $90 million to play with in free agency.

Boom. You have a future.
No guarantees with Burrow, did you watch him play in 2018? I did. He was the best in college this season but that doesn't guarantee anything in the NFL. He had the highest rated OL and WR corps and a hell of a RB and a pass game coordinator that's back in the NFL as an OC now. Not taking anything away from him but the hit/miss with QB's at the next level is still iffy. I am not sold of Goff or Wentz yet. And Mayfield regressed this season. Don't know about Murray because I am not sure the Cards were even shown on their own in stadium jumbotron.

Daniel Jones, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, all 1sr rounders. Bortles? Tannehill? Lynch???

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have thought all along that Dak and his representation were angling for a Tag. They have an offer of 32 or higher, annually, in hand. If they get tagged, that's a free opportunity to try and drive the price. Now, I don't think they will be able to drive it any higher but lets say they can. If they do, then they leverage the team to increase the offer. If they can't, then they can take the Tag and come back next year and negotiate from a higher average salary or, they can simply go back to the team and accept the original offer, which is not a bad deal BTW. I mean, I don't really see the downside for them, with the Transition Tag, to be honest.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think he gets 45 in 2021, unless he actually has a blow out year and wins a Super Bowl but if he did that, I wouldn't have a problem paying him 45 because at that point, he will have proven he can get it done. See, it's not the money, it's the value IMO.
$35m in 2019 = $45m in 2021, is the point.

Let's say the cap grows $13m to $213m for the 2021 season (same growth as the last three years). Before this season, $35m AAV represented 18.6% of the cap. The same rate on a $213m cap is $39.6m. So you've effectively gotten to $40m just from inflation. Add into the equation lost dollars from playing on the tag and rookie deal, and growth as a player and you're at $45 easy. Add your Super Bowl escalator, and you're near $50. There are 500 factors - guarantees, bonus structure, term, etc. - that will influence AAV, but the price on Dak is only going to go up. Even if he regresses a bit next year, you're still looking at nearly a $35m quarterback, because that's what they cost.

There's too much sticker shock with salaries, and there's a reason Dak didn't want term this offseason. The cap could explode in the next CBA, and $30m would be low. Dak is smart to not take much term beyond 2021 for that reason, and fans need to understand that what seems high today might be low in 2 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
$35m in 2019 = $45m in 2021, is the point.

Let's say the cap grows $13m to $213m for the 2021 season (same growth as the last three years). Before this season, $35m AAV represented 18.6% of the cap. The same rate on a $213m cap is $39.6m. So you've effectively gotten to $40m just from inflation. Add into the equation lost dollars from playing on the tag and rookie deal, and growth as a player and you're at $45 easy. Add your Super Bowl escalator, and you're near $50. There are 500 factors - guarantees, bonus structure, term, etc. - that will influence AAV, but the price on Dak is only going to go up. Even if he regresses a bit next year, you're still looking at nearly a $35m quarterback, because that's what they cost.

There's too much sticker shock with salaries, and there's a reason Dak didn't want term this offseason. The cap could explode in the next CBA, and $30m would be low. Dak is smart to not take much term beyond 2021 for that reason, and fans need to understand that what seems high today might be low in 2 years.

Well, it's your point. We don't know what the numbers will be. We haven't seen the CBA and we don't know what the new TV contract will look like but again, Dak isn't worth 35 today so unless he improves, I don't see it. You call it sticker shock but it's really about cap management, more so, to me.

That's just my opinion.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well, it's your point. We don't know what the numbers will be. We haven't seen the CBA and we don't know what the new TV contract will look like but again, Dak isn't worth 35 today so unless he improves, I don't see it. You call it sticker shock but it's really about cap management, more so, to me.

That's just my opinion.
"Isn't worth 35 today" is your opinion. Signing him at 35 today is great cap management for 2025.

So yes, it is about sticker shock.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
"Isn't worth 35 today" is your opinion. Signing him at 35 today is great cap management for 2025.

So yes, it is about sticker shock.

There is no proof of this. I mean, even if there were, signing him to 30 or 32 is even better cap management in 2025 so I give the entire sticker shock argument little credence, where I am concerned.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Saw on ESPN this morning that the non-exclusive franchise tag for a QB would be $27 million next season. That also gives Dak the ability to talk to other teams.

It also means that if a team wants to sign him to an unreasonably expensive contract, they would have to give us two first rounders as well.

The non-exclusive option would allow the team to get a better barometer as to the market for Dak, as well as having insurance if someone does pay him a stupid amount.

I’d much rather the team tag Dak than pay him the 40 million per year that he’s looking for.
What does this have to do with what Dak actually wants? Seems more like heresay and what one personally would hope Dak wants than what Dak actually does want.