Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things who are our coaches and HC?

RodeoJake

Reaction score
If there was ever any doubt about who's actually running the team, this season JJ made it clear. He's still making all the decisions about who coaches and how.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things who are our coaches and HC? Would any hotshot coach want to work here knowing JJ is gonna meddle in scheme and game decisions? Is the real reason we don't sign major FAs because good players don't want to jump into this circus and Stevie's comments are to save face?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If there was ever any doubt about who's actually running the team, this season JJ made it clear. He's still making all the decisions about who coaches and how.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things who are our coaches and HC? Would any hotshot coach want to work here knowing JJ is gonna meddle in scheme and game decisions? Is the real reason we don't sign major FAs because good players don't want to jump into this circus and Stevie's comments are to save face?
Considering guys chase Garrett into the locker room and ask him to sign them next season, I don't think any players have a problem with coming to Dallas.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, the Stephen and Will run the team while Jerry takes dictation guys have been pretty silent lately.

It's almost as if they didn't have a clue of what they were talking about. Like they were fan boys creating an alternate reality that appealed to them.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it’s much more by committee than many think.

I don't. I think every single decision made by the Dallas Cowboys comes with the approval of Jerry Jones. If a committee decides it it's only because he allowed it to.

Hence the job titles, Jerry's clear obsession with power and his own words over the years.

But have fun in fantasy land.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s not players who have an issue coming here as Jerry's definitely player friendly , it’s good coaches who wouldn’t be attracted unless they can’t land a job elsewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't. I think every single decision made by the Dallas Cowboys comes with the approval of Jerry Jones. If a committee decides it it's only because he allowed it to.

Hence the job titles, Jerry's clear obsession with power and his own words over the years.

Right ..

It basically is as Parcells so well described. “You have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts.”

And thats why Stephen and Jason have attempted to do. Generally if you’re having some success , Jerry’s more easily influenced but in our offenses case this year he wasn’t.

And Jerry reacts to the media and public pressure all to appease to his fan base providing them a glimmer of hope since he’s not willing to step down himself or allow anyone else to call the shots.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, the Stephen and Will run the team while Jerry takes dictation guys have been pretty silent lately.

It's almost as if they didn't have a clue of what they were talking about. Like they were fan boys creating an alternate reality that appealed to them.
Yep

Fans just wanted to believe since there were some better decisions being made that Jerry wasn’t as involved or taking a lesser role. It provided fans more hope.

The fact is Jerry can make some good decisions. And he can be influenced by those around him.

But he’s not willing to make the biggest decision which would elevate football operations.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry listens to Stephen and Will McClay...maybe even Garrett a little. But make no mistake. NOTHING happens with this team without Jerral Wayne Jones signing off on it. He even picks the hot dog buns for the concession stands.

Jerry could write a book on how to micromanage an organization from top to bottom. He’s never deviated from the rambling speech he made in Feb, 1989- the night he bought the team. He said he would be involved with everything from “socks and jocks” on up and he’s kept that ridiculous promise.

When the $140 million dollar check cleared for Jerry to purchase this team, he not only purchased ownership- he purchased a lifetime GM/President/Micromanager Emeritus position for himself and for his children.

I sometimes think this team name should just be changed from the Dallas Cowboys to the Dallas Jones’. They should put Jerry’s mug on top of the star on each helmet. Because this franchise is 100% about him and what makes him happy.

basstapp

Reaction score

So why didnt we draft Manziel?

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So why didnt we draft Manziel?
That was all hype. Jerry expressed interest in case Manziel was a hit since he was going to be available when our pick came up.

But Jerry said on draft morning he wasn’t drafting an heir apparent until Romo was done.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Everything ultimately has to be approved by the owner of every team, whether they simply accomplish that by not saying anything unless they disagree very strongly with a certain move, or if they keep a close eye on every aspect of the day to day workings of football operations.

I think it's a committee that Jerry oversees, and I think that, by and large, he agrees with the decisions his coaches, et al. make. It seems to me he only strongly expresses his desire, but will listen to reason, more often than not, e.g., Johnny Football.

Mostly, I think he just wants it known that should they be successful, it's because of his inclusion in the process.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
ET was a special case. He's a lifelong cowboy fan and playing here is his childhood dream.
We hear that from a lot of players. He may be the first to actually chase JG down, but he's far from the first to express interest in being a Cowboy.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry listens to Stephen and Will McClay...maybe even Garrett a little. But make no mistake. NOTHING happens with this team without Jerral Wayne Jones signing off on it. He even picks the hot dog buns for the concession stands.

Jerry could write a book on how to micromanage an organization from top to bottom. He’s never deviated from the rambling speech he made in Feb, 1989- the night he bought the team. He said he would be involved with everything from “socks and jocks” on up and he’s kept that ridiculous promise.

When the $140 million dollar check cleared for Jerry to purchase this team, he not only purchased ownership- he purchased a lifetime GM/President/Micromanager Emeritus position for himself and for his children.

I sometimes think this team name should just be changed from the Dallas Cowboys to the Dallas Jones’. They should put Jerry’s mug on top of the star on each helmet. Because this franchise is 100% about him and what makes him happy.
Hopefully by purchasing that new vessel Jerry is considering breaking away from the grind and handing over day to day oversight. That thing was made for global travel.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Everything ultimately has to be approved by the owner of every team, whether they simply accomplish that by not saying anything unless they disagree very strongly with a certain move, or if they keep a close eye on every aspect of the day to day workings of football operations.

I think it's a committee that Jerry oversees, and I think that, by and large, he agrees with the decisions his coaches, et al. make. It seems to me he only strongly expresses his desire, but will listen to reason, more often than not, e.g., Johnny Football.

Mostly, I think he just wants it known that should they be successful, it's because of his inclusion in the process.
I agree. The notion Jones is a puppet master is silly and uninformed. Unless fans are willing to suggest that Jones has made all of these great draft picks then you're right. It's by committee.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The inmates have always ran the asylum.. Star players influence Jerry’s decisions but Jerry makes all the final decisions himself.

I will say he let’s the committee do all the day to day stuff. He mainly gets involved when we have big decisions to make..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If your point is Jones vs Garrett, then yes; however, that Jones is Stephen not Jerry.

Stephen Jones has been making the decisions the past few years.

Stephen and Jerry have expressed opposite opinions on several topics and those topics all ended up going Stephen's way.

It seems that Stephen and Will McClay are in lock-step in these topics.

Zack Martin over Manziel
Not trading up for Paxton Lynch.
Not spending big in free agency.
Linehan being more empowered starting after last season.
Dak not running excessively.
Cutting Dez.

About the only thing that Jerry has said that seemed to materialize was his comment early in the 2018 season that he would go for it on 4th down more often; however, there was never a counter statement from Stephen on that subject and Jerry/Stephen were likely on the same page.

There is NO possibility that the drafting and free agent decisions the past few years were the way Jerry would do it if he was making all of the day to day decisions.

Jerry would not have cut Dez and likely would have gone all-in to keep Witten and probably Romo for a few more years regardless of the cost.

We saw how Jerry operated for many years and it was not remotely similar to the past few years.

Jerry still insists on creating the illusion that he is the day to day GM; however, it is just not true. He is old now and the Stadium plus The Star take up most of his time. Everybody involved in booking Jerry World for an event expect to meet with Jerry. When the team played at Texas Stadium, the city did much of the non Cowboys games side of the business.

Mini Jerry World (The Star) is a significant business by itself. They have 9 High School football teams that use it. The school Superintendent(s), School board members, etc. all want to meet with Jerry at some point.

Jerry has other businesses as well. It's primarily commercial real estate up around the Star but also includes some oil & gas plus a medical imaging business.

Reactions: CWR

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry makes ANY decisions on HOW the coaches coach.

He still has a say in just about everything else...if he wants to. I think he steps away more each season now, but always has override powers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Yes.

Jerry is providing this team with talent.