Does Kerry Hyder (or Joe Jackson) make Taco expendable?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was slightly surprised this weekend that we didn't see Taco Charlton package in a draft day deal of some sort.

That said, I really get the feeling that Taco is not long for this roster. We are pretty deep at DE now with Lawrence, Quinn, Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Gregory (currently suspended), and now possibly Joe Jackson (5th rounder).

Where does Taco fall into this. IIRC, he fell out of favor with Marenelli last season and I think he's hard pressed to make this roster out of camp.

I think he does hold some value being that he's a former 1st rounder that's entering just his third season.

Could we see another Switzer/Jihad Ward type trade for perhaps Karl Joseph?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was slightly surprised this weekend that we didn't see Taco Charlton package in a draft day deal of some sort.

That said, I really get the feeling that Taco is not long for this roster. We are pretty deep at DE now with Lawrence, Quinn, Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Gregory (currently suspended), and now possibly Joe Jackson (5th rounder).

Where does Taco fall into this. IIRC, he fell out of favor with Marenelli last season and I think he's hard pressed to make this roster out of camp.

I think he does hold some value being that he's a former 1st rounder that's entering just his third season.

Could we see another Switzer/Jihad Ward type trade for perhaps Karl Joseph?
Mentioned Joseph earlier. We had him in for a predraft visit in 2016.

I do think there is a good chance he gets moved before OTA's.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Joe Jackson vs Taco Charlton thats that.
Hyder is a 3tech slash DE.
He is a player.
WHEN JOE JACKSON BEATS taco Charlton then you gotta see qhere Taco can go. He has little value but someone is always willing to pay alittle for a lotto ticket guy

Reactions: CWR

Verdict

Reaction score
I have been as critical of Taco as anyone on this board, bout you would expect him to make a run this year to secure a roster spot with it being his 3rd year. If it’s close, Taco may be on the outside looking in having done little so far, and the difference in length of contract and salary cap hit vs younger players.

I’m not crazy about the measurables on the new guys either though so who knows.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don't see Jackson or anybody else capable of getting Charlton off the roster by their play. I'm not Charlton is this good player or anything, but a 5th round rookie won't knock a former 1st round pick off the roster.

Hyder is different, he has a spot as the 5th DE till RG returns. However, I can see Charlton being traded but not cause these new guys replace him...more cause coaches are ready to move on due to effort n attitude.

Brooksey

Reaction score
No but they will bring some competition and hopefully Taco will take the next step.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I really hope they didn't use a fifth round pick on a player they're willing to cut. Going five long at the DE spot, I'd hope for an open competition between Taco Charlton and Dorance Armstrong for the fifth spot. Kerry Hyder, I'd either try at DT or I'd write him off.