Does Kerry Hyder (or Joe Jackson) make Taco expendable?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was slightly surprised this weekend that we didn't see Taco Charlton package in a draft day deal of some sort.

That said, I really get the feeling that Taco is not long for this roster. We are pretty deep at DE now with Lawrence, Quinn, Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Gregory (currently suspended), and now possibly Joe Jackson (5th rounder).

Where does Taco fall into this. IIRC, he fell out of favor with Marenelli last season and I think he's hard pressed to make this roster out of camp.

I think he does hold some value being that he's a former 1st rounder that's entering just his third season.

Could we see another Switzer/Jihad Ward type trade for perhaps Karl Joseph?

No. Believe Taco was battling some injury last year and this year 3 for him so time to put up or shut up.

Great competition with Armstrong and Jackson so hopefully it fules him to realize his potential.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Not until we see the results. You would've cut DeMarcus Lawrence if you could.
Tank showed so much more than Taco in his first 2 years. Tank has more attitude and desire to be great. Taco just has attitude. Taco will be gone after this season, if not before.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Taco makes taco expendable.

But yes. With the depth they have now. His job is on the line. They are now in position to cut him if he doesn’t step up.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I was slightly surprised this weekend that we didn't see Taco Charlton package in a draft day deal of some sort.

That said, I really get the feeling that Taco is not long for this roster. We are pretty deep at DE now with Lawrence, Quinn, Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Gregory (currently suspended), and now possibly Joe Jackson (5th rounder).

Where does Taco fall into this. IIRC, he fell out of favor with Marenelli last season and I think he's hard pressed to make this roster out of camp.

I think he does hold some value being that he's a former 1st rounder that's entering just his third season.

Taco made Taco expendable. Yes, I think there will be numerous veterans traded before final cuts. They have too much depth at several positions and should look to move some guys if they can.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
After watching tape, I don't think Joe Jackson is any kind of threat for real playing time. He's got prototypical size and a quick first step, but has literally 0 moves, so tackles are just going to sit on his speed-to-power bull rush. Even Taco is more effective after the tackle gets hands on him then Jackson is.

Hyder, we'll see how healthy he is. Achilles injuries are brutal, especially for big men who have to drive hard off their legs.

Armstrong will be the interesting one IMO. Didn't show much as a rook, but he spent a year getting coached up and gaining strength and he's always been able to get low and bend. There's some potential there.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm giving Taco every chance to succeed in his third make or break season and that includes snaps inside at the 3-Tech. Training camp will decide who is expendable.

Sydla

Reaction score

So happy Marinelli’s pet project Taco Charlton has fallen out of favor with him in just two seasons.

Let’s hope his new high round pick pet project turns out better.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

At the moment, absolutely not. Hyder missed all of 2017 and had one sack while playing in only seven games last year. We took a flier on him and he could turn out to be finished by his injury. Jackson was a fifth-rounder. At that point, you're just hoping the player proves to at least be a backup. (Frankly, I think there's a good chance that both players end up being interior pass rushers rather than ends.)

Now, if we want to trade Charlton because Crawford can play run-down end as well as he can, Armstrong is at least as good as he is and we traded for Quinn to be our RDE pass rusher, I can buy that argument.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Taco came back and played well the last 2 games. He's been better than most of the DE's drafted after him. People just think he was a 1st round pick when really he was a second. His issues were more with how he handled his shoulder injury.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Taco's lack of effort has made Taco expendable.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

With Gregory’s uncertain situation and Quinn playing on a one year deal we need to hang onto Taco. Now if either Hyder or Jackson were to perform well in training camp and preseason and move ahead of Taco that could make him expendable.

LittleD

Reaction score
Almost any of the DL in that room make Taco expendable. He should be joining Gregory in that Walmart
greeter job line real soon. Get along little doggie!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Almost any of the DL in that room make Taco expendable. He should be joining Gregory in that Walmart
greeter job line real soon. Get along little doggie!

We still need depth in the event of injury and to be part of our rotation. Taco has been a disappointment but still has a valuable role with Irving gone and with Gregory’s future up in the air.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You also have to remember that DLaw just underwent shoulder surgery and no guarantees he’s ready for camp or even the start of the regular season. It’s been reported that his recovery could take as long as six months. We’re all disappointed in Taco but he still provides depth and insurance.

LittleD

Reaction score
We still need depth in the event of injury and to be part of our rotation. Taco has been a disappointment but still has a valuable role with Irving gone and with Gregory’s future up in the air.

I'm sorry to say that Taco has no meat left on his bone. That's if he ever had any meat!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that Taco has no meat left on his bone. That's if he ever had any meat!

We’ll find out this season. With Gregory’s situation it’s an opportunity for Taco. I’m sure the Cowboys are hoping that drafting two DEs and bringing in Hyder will help light a fire under Taco. The Cowboys are looking for a highly competitive training camp this summer. If Taco doesn’t make strides in year three he’s officially a bust and it will be time to move on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No one is going to be expendable in April. Players are being added for competition. Stephen said this could be the most competitive training camp the Cowboys have ever had. You don’t get better by handing players jobs, you make them earn them. Taco can see the writing on the wall. It’s time for him to step up.