Does the FO even value the S position?

Sydla

Reaction score
This is a stacked safety class. Even a bottom tier 2 free agent safety could significantly upgrade over Heath while not breaking the bank (hope the cowboys sign someone, upgrade and win NOW)

Here’s a crazy thought.

Draft a S and sign one to a reasonable contract like Dix did or you could get Iloka for. Then bring along the S and have him ready to take over in the near future.

I know. That’s downright crazy talk.

You know what else this draft is deep in, especially the 2nd and 3rd rounds? DL. Which we need. And TEs. Which we could use despite Witten being here. So don’t assume it’s S or bust in the draft early.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
our best safety on the roster plays corner...and i'm not talking about Jones either.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If they offered a 2nd rounder like 9 months ago for a safety, I'd venture to say they probably value the position.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Free agency is just getting started and as already mentioned, the draft is very good at Safety.

About the only safety in FA that I really liked was Collins (young and physical) and he cost an arm and a leg. Still I would have been ok spending on him because of his age and the fact that I want Dallas to get a Strong Safety (I really like X Woods). After him, I didn’t want Dallas to spend big at S in FA. No, not even on Thomas (age and injury risk).

You’re right that there really isn’t anyone I love left.

However, I really like some of the guys in this draft. That’s where I want Dallas to find competition for Heath.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Here’s a crazy thought.

Draft a S and sign one to a reasonable contract like Dix did or you could get Iloka for. Then bring along the S and have him ready to take over in the near future.

You know what else this draft is deep in, especially the 2nd and 3rd rounds? DL. Which we need. And TEs. Which we could use despite Witten being here. So don’t assume it’s S or bust in the draft early.

I will bet they that's exactly what we do. It's the mantra the roster strategy we've been using for many years now.

Identify position of weakness, sign stop gap starting FA to a 1-2 year deal and then double down at that position in the draft. We know they identify it as a weakness since we tried to trade for Earl, coach speak, and doing our due diligence on Berry, so you can expect us to sign a safety before the draft then draft 1 or 2 more.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Apparently not. And if safety happens to be BPA at 58 and we draft somebody else with “Issues,” there’s another year of confirmation...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If ever there was a year to upgrade S in FA, this was the year. But now options are limited. We haven’t drafted a S high since Jones and he wasn’t a S, he was a better CB.

I agree with not drafting safeties high. The top safeties only make 14/year, so draft DE and sign the best safety available.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Of course they do that's why the have a special teams guy starting at safety.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Free agency is just getting started and as already mentioned, the draft is very good at Safety.

About the only safety in FA that I really liked was Collins (young and physical) and he cost an arm and a leg. Still I would have been ok spending on him because of his age and the fact that I want Dallas to get a Strong Safety (I really like X Woods). After him, I didn’t want Dallas to spend big at S in FA. No, not even on Thomas (age and injury risk).

You’re right that there really isn’t anyone I love left.

However, I really like some of the guys in this draft. That’s where I want Dallas to find competition for Heath.

I agree. Collins was the only safety out there that didn't have age and injury issues on his resume; and the cost for him was ridiculous. I was part of the group excited about ET when he wasn't signed after the initial wave. I'm slowly getting over it.

I really like Xavier Woods and the Cowboys still have time to give Heath either veteran or rookie competition. And a part of me hasn't given up on Kavon Frazier yet. He played well when he started the first two games but we basically didn't see him again the rest of the year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If ever there was a year to upgrade S in FA, this was the year. But now options are limited. We haven’t drafted a S high since Jones and he wasn’t a S, he was a better CB.
They haven’t since Roy and Woody. The thing is that safeties can’t hit like that anymore. It’s just a slightly bigger corner who can tackle and cover.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I think not finding or maybe not even looking to upgrade the position from the TONS available free agents should answer your question. No way in hell you can convince me there wasn't/isn't at least ONE free safety that would be an upgrade over Heath. But it's apparently what the FO is thinking....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nope.

I think Ken Hamlin scared them off of safeties forever.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Here’s a crazy thought.

100% agree.

You can upgraded the position with an experienced above average starter for a reasonable deal while you build someone from the draft up.

Upgrade one of the top 3 weakest positions now while not having significant cap implications for doing so, hope they get someone like Tre Boston.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Having Richard as the secondary coach and assistant DC..

means the scheme and the players we have will work.

It's more about the secondary playing coordinated not populated with stars.

Look what happened with Byron Jones.

Here was a guy who was failing as a #1 draft pick..

only to go Pro Bowl in one season and now we can't afford to resign him.

I think more is coming from Richard in developing players.

I am afraid he will leave after this year..

so let's hope we get things settled before he splits.

I am interested in how Heath improves in his second season under Richard.

I think he will bloom.

We will see.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I’m starting to wonder if they value anything on defense??

Zero investment at DT... Saftey... Dlaw can’t get paid at DE...

When’s the last big time check we handed out? Carr?