CFZ Don’t Spike the ball if you don’t absolutely have too!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
On their last drive. Philly completed a 20 yard pass for a 1st down on our 19 yard line. They had a timeout, but did not use it. The wasted 10 seconds rushing to the LOS and spiking the ball. This not only wasted 10 seconds, but way more importantly, it wasted a down! Now instead of having 4 downs they only had 3 downs to get a 1st down.

At that point in the game the extra down was way more important than the time. I am so glad they only had 3 downs to get the 1st instead of 4 downs. This reduced their chance of getting the 1st down by 25%!!!!!

Garrett did this in a playoff game vs GB. We had plenty of time at the end of the game, but Garrett, had Dak, waste a down spiking the ball. We had to settle for a long FG on that series to tie the game. Then we kicked off deep to GB, which did not take any time off the clock. We should have kicked ball short of goal line. The ball was on the 25 yard line. On the first play we should have strip sacked Rogers, but our defender did not go for the strip sack, just the sack. Shortly after Rogers is allowed to get out of the pocket, there was a blatant hold, and throw a 35 yard dime on the sideline. GB, kicks a long FG to win the game.

Not only was spiking the ball dumb in that game, but there were 2-3 other dumb calls by Garret in the last 2 minutes of that game!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
On their last drive. Philly completed a 20 yard pass for a 1st down on our 19 yard line. They had a timeout, but did not use it. The wasted 10 seconds rushing to the LOS and spiking the ball. This not only wasted 10 seconds, but way more importantly, it wasted a down! Now instead of having 4 downs they only had 3 downs to get a 1st down.

At that point in the game the extra down was way more important than the time. I am so glad they only had 3 downs to get the 1st instead of 4 downs. This reduced their chance of getting the 1st down by 25%!!!!!

Garrett did this in a playoff game vs GB. We had plenty of time at the end of the game, but Garrett, had Dak, waste a down spiking the ball. We had to settle for a long FG on that series to tie the game. Then we kicked off deep to GB, which did not take any time off the clock. We should have kicked ball short of goal line. The ball was on the 25 yard line. On the first play we should have strip sacked Rogers, but our defender did not go for the strip sack, just the sack. Shortly after Rogers is allowed to get out of the pocket, there was a blatant hold, and throw a 35 yard dime on the sideline. GB, kicks a long FG to win the game.

Not only was spiking the ball dumb in that game, but there were 2-3 other dumb calls by Garret in the last 2 minutes of that game!
Might want to be careful there.
We have made bonehead time management decisions ourselves the last 2 games.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Might want to be careful there.
We have made bonehead time management decisions ourselves the last 2 games.
I agree completely. Dak should have slid in bounds, and should have never allowed himself to get sacked, on our last drive.

When I saw Philly spike the ball, I was thinking “great, waste a down, it might come back to cost you”. It did. I loved it. But also remembered when it cost us vs GB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

that's pretty good thinking. they didn't need the timeout to kick a field goal. they needed time and downs...they should have called timeout, which would give them one more play. one more chance.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You generally want to leave the opposition less than 24 seconds on the clock. So spiking the ball with over a minute on the clock is stupid, IMO.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Their mistake was in my favour so i hope they continue to make those kinds of decisions.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
It was the right thing to do. The timeout is important, more important than the extra down in that case. You are at the 20 ish yard line. The time out allows you to use the entire field. With no time out, you are forced to go sideline or endzone every play. In that situation, spiking the ball is the right call 100 out of 100 times. It didn't work out for them - good but it doesn't change the fact it was the correct thing to do.