Video: Donovan Wilson, we see you, young man

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Where are y'all seeing that Cousins lowered his head and or crouched? It was Wilson who lowered his head as he went in. Cousins had been spun around and was going down but his head never drops here. Sorry, but when a guy goes in spearing like that it's an automatic foul. You know good and well that if the teams were reversed none of you would be wanting to hear about how Dalton was crouching down with a defender leading in with his head lowered. Let's be fair here. We got away with one. And it led to 6 for us which was the difference in the game. The other way around it would be a CONSPIRACY! designed to make us lose. Ive never seen them call spearing or helmet to helmet during a fumble pile so maybe...who knows

DWil-1xx.gif

He went right for the ball, I have not checked but it could have more to do with it being he was going for the ball more than a tackle that kept them from calling it..again I have not checked the rules though. but they replayed it and there is no way they didn't see the helmet to helmet, the only thing i can think is they said he wasnt trying to hit him just going for the ball.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He went right for the ball, I have not checked but it could have more to do with it being he was going for the ball more than a tackle that kept them from calling it..again I have not checked the rules though. but they replayed it and there is no way they didn't see the helmet to helmet, the only thing i can think is they said he wasnt trying to hit him just going for the ball.

I posted the rules in Post #120. They account for all you say here. It should have been called a foul. Everyone on the broadcast said it as well. We got a gift. 6 points to boot and we won by 3.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I posted the rules in Post #120. They account for all you say here. It should have been called a foul. Everyone on the broadcast said it as well. We got a gift. 6 points to boot and we won by 3.

Can't complain about that then, take the gifts you get.

aria

Reaction score
Wrong. There's no exemption for already being tackled. There ARE actually rules for lowering your head to contact someone who is already in another's grasp and had their forward progress stopped as Cousins' was here. There's actually 3 different rules this could fall under as a foul. I'll post 2 and there's also the obvious roughing the passer. Pertinent parts are in red. They all say you can't lower your head and make forcible contact to the head an neck area. That's exactly what Wilson did here. There's no way around it. Officials blew it and we benefited with 6 points that was the difference in the game.

ARTICLE 9. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player
who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture).
(2) A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker
or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.
(3) A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding
or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.
(4) The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception. If
the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless
player.
Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain
possession.
(5) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped.

(6) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player
is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player (for enforcement, see 10-1-1 and AR 12.72).
(7) A player on the ground.
(8) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 8-h) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter).
(9) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 11-e) for additional restrictions against a
quarterback after a change of possession).
(10) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
(11) The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick. He is no longer a defenseless player
after he has had an opportunity to defend himself or moves downfield.
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the
initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle
the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him;

(2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with any part of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s
body; or
(3) illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to
spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any
part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be
a defenseless player, as defined in Article 9.)
Notes:
(1) The provisions of (b) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or
block on an opponent.
(2) A player who initiates contact against a defenseless opponent is responsible for avoiding an illegal act. This includes

illegal contact that may occur during the process of attempting to dislodge the ball from an opponent. A standard of strict
liability applies for any contact against a defenseless opponent, even if the opponent is an airborne player who is returning
to the ground or whose body position is otherwise in motion, and irrespective of any acts by the defenseless opponent,

such as ducking his head or curling up his body in anticipation of contact.
Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the
action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.

ARTICLE 10. USE OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against

an opponent.
Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.
Officials miss a call against us like this and it's proof of the officials' bias. When it's the other way around, people here turn into rule interpreters to protect the same "crooked" officials. Who's biased again? @aria, you'd like this. Lol.
Oh, I called it out in the live thread and caught some hate for it. You’re right, we did win the game because of this missed call but last week against Pitt I was told only penalties late in the 4th quarter matter :huh:

I get it, refs miss calls, important calls or they call things they shouldn’t but this is clearly one that we benefited from in a BIG way. That’s why I get so sick of hearing people cry about how the officials hate us and we never get “good” calls. I notice this is the only thread that mentions it, if it had happened to us there would already be several with titles like “We lost due to the refs” but nope, it gets swept under the carpet.

I’m glad there’s someone like you who keeps these conspiracy theorists in check and does the leg work with videos, rules, etc so thank you for that :clap:

aria

Reaction score
Where are y'all seeing that Cousins lowered his head and or crouched? It was Wilson who lowered his head as he went in. Cousins had been spun around and was going down but his head never drops here. Sorry, but when a guy goes in spearing like that it's an automatic foul. You know good and well that if the teams were reversed none of you would be wanting to hear about how Dalton was crouching down with a defender leading in with his head lowered. Let's be fair here. We got away with one. And it led to 6 for us which was the difference in the game. The other way around it would be a CONSPIRACY! designed to make us lose.

DWil-1xx.gif
That really is bad, 9 out of 10 times that gets called. We’ve already seen a lot less called for roughing the passer in games we’ve played this year. It’s obvious Goodell called the officials and told them he wants their biggest money maker, the Dallas Cowboys, in the playoffs. There’s no other good reason this goes uncalled :rolleyes:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That really is bad, 9 out of 10 times that gets called. We’ve already seen a lot less called for roughing the passer in games we’ve played this year. It’s obvious Goodell called the officials and told them he wants their biggest money maker, the Dallas Cowboys, in the playoffs. There’s no other good reason this goes uncalled :rolleyes:

Form your mouth to gods ears my friend....i will keep hush hush and enjoy the calls if you do:)

quickccc

Reaction score
I really hopes it works out for Donovan W.
for one, it seems that we will only get that kind of impact starting safety if he becomes a surprise late round or undrafted type.
But what's the likelihood of that?
We won't draft a safety high - it's not the nature of Cowboys team. They have little regards to drafting a safety high, .or signing a vet safety to big contract dollars.

:(

aria

Reaction score
Form your mouth to gods ears my friend....i will keep hush hush and enjoy the calls if you do:)
:lmao2:I don’t know if I can keep that promise, if I could get 75% of the fan base to make the same deal I’d be on board.

I’ll TRY not to say anything until the next flood of complaining comes along after a bad call. I feel pretty confident I can last two more days.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
:lmao2:I don’t know if I can keep that promise, if I could get 75% of the fan base to make the same deal I’d be on board.

I’ll TRY not to say anything until the next flood of complaining comes along after a bad call. I feel pretty confident I can last two more days.

Ill take what i can get:)

Techsass

Reaction score
The tripping vs. New England I'll give you but streaks like the no holds appear to happen like that annually. Detroit had a similar streak that very same year people were complaining. On the 12 men in the huddle, if you're talking about the Green Bay playoff game, the league never apologized for that because it was a legit call. The official's announcement of the penalty was wrong but Butler came in past the field numbers and went back out without participating in the play.
Well I was racking my memory on stuff I've read here, so I'm not surprised I screwed it up a bit. I don't like the good calls made against the Cowboys, but I'm not into the tin foil hat conspiracy either.