Don't blame Stephen, Jerry or Dak, it's the market

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The market for a franchise QB is what the market is.

Assigning Dak as a franchise QB is exactly the thing to blame Jerry & Stephen for.

You lost me.......he's our starting QB. The so-called QB salary explosion is affecting all NFL teams having to resign their STARTING QB to 2nd contracts. Not sure where/how you blame Jerry or Stephen....

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You lost me.......he's our starting QB. The so-called QB salary explosion is affecting all NFL teams having to resign their STARTING QB to 2nd contracts. Not sure where/how you blame Jerry or Stephen....
There is a thing called a starting QB. There is a thing called a franchise QB. All franchise QBs are starting QBs. Not all starting QBs are franchise QBs.

starfan1

Reaction score
The market for a franchise QB is what the market is.

Assigning Dak as a franchise QB is exactly the thing to blame Jerry & Stephen for.

Who's your option? If you remember correctly he wasn't suppose to start he was to back up the great TR but surprise surprise ole broke back struck again.

GMO415

Reaction score
cdfb743ff8624d2657efb3c0e3b0cc99d3b47dfcb127086e5889edb25ee56bcd.jpg

Flamma

Reaction score

There is a salary explosion for good QBs. But QBs like Ryan Fitzpatrick aren't getting that kind of money. He's putting Dak in that category. If Dak is in that category and he still gets paid that much, that's what he's saying is the mistake.

The market is what a team will pay someone if you don't. If some team out there is willing to pay Dak 40 million a year, that's his value. You either pay it or let him go.

Flamma

Reaction score
I could be totally off base on this, but I think Seattle made a mistake. The Seahawks are still a good team, but I see them trending downward. I think it's going to take them more than 4 years to build it back up again. Now it's made more difficult with that monster cap hit. So they will essentially be paying out the life of that contract for nothing other than a flashy QB.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Since when did the market pay a middle of the road QB 30 million a year?

This is insane! How can anyone watch Dak and say he is a top of the line QB? Not even saying that Dak cant be a good QB to manage the offense and maybe even win a Super Bowl. But he is at best a game manager QB and you could make a good argument he isnt even that.

To argue Dak should get 26 million or more a year is insane and will dismantle the Cowboys. We will not be able to field a solid team around Dak and we all know he needs it.

I rather find a cheaper game manager and have a more complete team around them.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's called draft another QB and pay minimum for 4 years

We can repeat the production of come very close to it with another QB, unless we believe Dak has become that much better over the last 3 months...

The funny thing about that perspective is it exists because of how well Dak played as a rookie. It's created a false perception that any QB can step in and be just about the same. Long forgotten is 2015, and the dark days between Aikman and Romo, where just plugging in another QB didn't quite work.

Dak isn't Brady, but he's not nearly as bad as DDS has caused some to believe.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why should someone be to "blame?" We live in a capitalist nation yet are offended when it works like it's supposed to. Fans just hate players getting money, period. With Lawrence it was, "he's not worth that money unless he's a QB." Now that Wilson, a QB and all, got mega-paid, now it's, "something needs to be done about QBs making all that money." Hilarious to watch people's emotions play out on a message board. You want to make that kind of money for yourself, just work harder, lol.

GenoT

Reaction score
1) Market-price for franchise QBs is now @$30mil per.

2) Define “franchise QB”.

3) Does Dak fit the definition?

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree. But unfortunately, salary is dictated by forces beyond the team's control.

ksadler1

Reaction score
And it’s gonna get worse with next CBA

It's actually really sad. The NFL has been going down hill for years, but all these high priced contracts are starting to drive the final steak in the heart of it. It hasn't been about football for years now. I've been watching less and less because I'm so tired of what the NFL has become, and is becoming. Oh well, It's not like I'll die without football. . .

BigD_95

Reaction score
Why should someone be to "blame?" We live in a capitalist nation yet are offended when it works like it's supposed to. Fans just hate players getting money, period. With Lawrence it was, "he's not worth that money unless he's a QB." Now that Wilson, a QB and all, got mega-paid, now it's, "something needs to be done about QBs making all that money." Hilarious to watch people's emotions play out on a message board. You want to make that kind of money for yourself, just work harder, lol.

I believe you are wrong. At least for me you are wrong. I wouldn't care if Dak made 50 million a year if there was no salary cap. I think most fans that complain is because we are worried that our team will be in cap trouble in the future. We see a lot of other good players like Jaylon Smith - Zeke ... etc and are worried we will lose those guys because we are over paying (salary cap terms) for a middle of the road QB and a DE. I have never cared what athletes make until their salary hurts the team I cheer for.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The funny thing about that perspective is it exists because of how well Dak played as a rookie. It's created a false perception that any QB can step in and be just about the same. Long forgotten is 2015, and the dark days between Aikman and Romo, where just plugging in another QB didn't quite work.

Dak isn't Brady, but he's not nearly as bad as DDS has caused some to believe.
to be honest, I felt that the system and team we were building before Dak completed his rookie season will allow any "bus driver" to succeed. To what extent, who knows, but to have success, yes our talented team and more experienced, as much as I don't like them, staff will help.

The OLine was there, the receivers were there, the RB is definitely there and our defense was only getting better (removing Carr and Claiborne kickstarted this change)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some fans get upset over the idea that Dak will become the highest paid Cowboy in history, and I don't really see why. It doesn't somehow disparage Aikman or Staubach or Emmitt or any others - as the OP said "it's the market". The fact that my house is valued at 7 times more than my parent's house was when they bought doesn't put down my parent's house - "it's the market". Wages go up all the time in every profession, and more so with professional athletes, and in the NFL more so with the QB position. Teams can't refuse to pay it because better players in the past didn't make as much. Teams have to compete in the market as it exists in the era they compete in.

sean10mm

Reaction score
1) Market-price for franchise QBs is now @$30mil per.

2) Define “franchise QB”.

3) Does Dak fit the definition?

You're short by about $5m/year. Russell Wilson just reset the top starter QB market at $35m/year.

But never mind that. People need to get it through their heads that the market for "just-OK" quarterbacks - NOT ELITE PLAYERS - was already pushing $30m/year. Kirk "0-1 in the playoffs" Cousins got $28m/year guaranteed. Jimmy Garoppolo had barely even played in the regular season and got $27.5m/year. Stafford won nothing in a DECADE and got $27m/year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

There's no NFL requirement to buy the beanie babies. It's a choice.

As a running offense with a solid oline, we're *made* to cheap out at QB with young running QBs. Should have got one of those instead of Mike White last year. Certainly should get one this year.

Should have been running Dak in the last couple of years.

Draft running QBs and treat them like RBs until you find one that shows he can be a great pocket passer. 30mil is 2 pro bowl olinemen.

The Russell Wilson Model.