Don't blame Stephen, Jerry or Dak, it's the market

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I believe you are wrong. At least for me you are wrong. I wouldn't care if Dak made 50 million a year if there was no salary cap. I think most fans that complain is because we are worried that our team will be in cap trouble in the future. We see a lot of other good players like Jaylon Smith - Zeke ... etc and are worried we will lose those guys because we are over paying (salary cap terms) for a middle of the road QB and a DE. I have never cared what athletes make until their salary hurts the team I cheer for.

That's the system that exists. Still, there's no one to "blame" for the money being paid out. If you deem a player too expensive then don't pay him and roll with what you have otherwise. No need for hand-wringing. Make the call and field the team you will. Just have an answer for the fans when they whine. Players have every right to use the leverage they have. Owners aren't shy about using theirs but yet the players get all the blame in these discussions. Wonder what that's about. I'm pretty sure I know.

coult44

Reaction score
There are two types of people.

Those who complain about not having a good QB, and this who complain about paying a good QB.

Oh wait, there is only one type of person because these are the same people!!!

The bottom line is Dak isn't a top 10 QB. He also isn't a bottom 10 QB. Those of you who are complaining about paying him 28-30 million would cry if they had to pay him like a top 10 guy, which in the next two years will be 35-38 million. You would also be crying if they were paying our QB 20-25 million because that would mean he was a bottom 10 guy.

BigD_95

Reaction score
That's the system that exists. Still, there's no one to "blame" for the money being paid out. If you deem a player too expensive then don't pay him and roll with what you have otherwise. No need for hand-wringing. Make the call and field the team you will. Just have an answer for the fans when they whine. Players have every right to use the leverage they have. Owners aren't shy about using theirs but yet the players get all the blame in these discussions. Wonder what that's about. I'm pretty sure I know.

I agree with you. I have always been on the player sides. Even when they hold out and still have 3 years left on their contract. You hear fans complain they should honor the contract they signed but the owners dont honor the contract. They cut players all the time before the contract is up. Just look at Dez. Most Cowboy fans felt he should be cut. He wasnt worth the money( I agreed) But either way, the team did not honor the contract, so why do the players have to?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I agree with you. I have always been on the player sides. Even when they hold out and still have 3 years left on their contract. You hear fans complain they should honor the contract they signed but the owners dont honor the contract. They cut players all the time before the contract is up. Just look at Dez. Most Cowboy fans felt he should be cut. He wasnt worth the money( I agreed) But either way, the team did not honor the contract, so why do the players have to?

Agreed.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Or a high upside veteran gamble. Foles, Bortles, Tannehill.

People forget Bortles has had now 2 good-to-great years in a not very passer-friendly Jacksonville offense. He led his team to an AFC championship game, and he's one of about a dozen guys in nfl history to throw 40 tds in a season. He's no bust, he just needs the right environment.

Haven't we seen Bortles and Tannehills upside? You mean there's more? What are they holding out for, wisdom?

kskboys

Reaction score
They have to pay the guaranteed money and signing bonuses, so they are honoring the contract.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Since when did the market pay a middle of the road QB 30 million a year?

This is insane! How can anyone watch Dak and say he is a top of the line QB? Not even saying that Dak cant be a good QB to manage the offense and maybe even win a Super Bowl. But he is at best a game manager QB and you could make a good argument he isnt even that.

To argue Dak should get 26 million or more a year is insane and will dismantle the Cowboys. We will not be able to field a solid team around Dak and we all know he needs it.

I rather find a cheaper game manager and have a more complete team around them.
you think Dak has reached his ceiling after 3 seasons?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's called draft another QB and pay minimum for 4 years

We can repeat the production of come very close to it with another QB, unless we believe Dak has become that much better over the last 3 months...

The market may set the price, but when that price is too high for a position for average play I see no rule stating we have to roll with it.

LOL......Oh yah, no problem. Lets just go out and find a first your QB that is going to win rookie of the year, make the pro bowl, go 13-3, and lead us to the playoffs his rookie year. Those kind of QB's grow on trees don't they?

You trolls really are struggling these days. Dak is about to sign a big new contract and your going bonkers. LOL

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And just like Romo ,when he gets paid, fans will expect him to deliver. Not totally sold on Dak. I want to see what he does this year. He's also not as bad as some say he is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The market for a franchise QB is what the market is.

Assigning Dak as a franchise QB is exactly the thing to blame Jerry & Stephen for.

Yah, Jones, what a horrible job you have done. You found us a QB in the 4th round that in only 3 years has won rookie of the year, two pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs and a playoff victory. They should be ashamed of themselves. LOL

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yah, Jones, what a horrible job you have done. You found us a QB in the 4th round that in only 3 years has won rookie of the year, two pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs and a playoff victory. They should be ashamed of themselves. LOL
Fantastic job building a team that Dak could succeed in despite his limited talent.

It'd be a less than fantastic job paying Dak as if he isn't a limited talent.

Both things can be true. And in fact they are.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Fantastic job building a team that Dak could succeed in despite his limited talent.

It'd be a less than fantastic job paying Dak as if he isn't a limited talent.

Both things can be true. And in fact they are.

Oh yah, he is soooo limited in talent. LOL

That's why he won rookie of the year, two pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs, one playoff win, and has led the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime comebacks the last 3 years. Not to mention he is a dual thread QB and has had at least 6 rushing TD's in each of his 3 years.

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound?

I know its tough because Dak has made you trolls look so bad, but you would be better off just admitting you were wrong. With Frederick back and a nice stable of receivers this year Dak is going to blaze a trail. And that nice new long term contract he is about to sign? Time to run for the hills.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Oh yah, he is soooo limited in talent. LOL

That's why he won rookie of the year, two pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs, one playoff win, and has led the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime comebacks the last 3 years. Not to mention he is a dual thread QB and has had at least 6 rushing TD's in each of his 3 years.

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound?

I know its tough because Dak has made you trolls look so bad, but you would be better off just admitting you were wrong. With Frederick back and a nice stable of receivers this year Dak is going to blaze a trail. And that nice new long term contract he is about to sign? Time to run for the hills.
First. Wins and comebacks are a team stat. Dak won rookie of the year with meager passing stats (he wasn't asked to do much). Editor's note: he's never been asked to do much.

If you watch Dak and don't see a limited talent that's a you problem.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First. Wins and comebacks are a team stat. Dak won rookie of the year with meager passing stats (he wasn't asked to do much). Editor's note: he's never been asked to do much.

If you watch Dak and don't see a limited talent that's a you problem.

Nothing but troll babble. No doubt if we had 3 losing seasons you would be toting it around like gospel.

Dak won rookie of the year because he was a beast and the team went 13-3 under his awesome play. Even outdueled Zeke for the honor. What was it 11 wins in a row? Incredible. And don't forget the pro bowl that year also.

Are you going to cry when he signs his new contract?