Don't expect a discount from Dak Prescott

Little Jr

Reaction score
Around there and some that make less than that. But some of their contracts are older so there is inflation.
Yes, with inflation 25m year is what it would be to match the guys making 20m a year.

If any of those guys would sign today, they would get more than 25m and probably right at 30m, if not north of 30m.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I like Dak a lot... But I wouldn't back up the Brinks truck to secure the guy. Now I'm hearing he may want in the neighborhood of $30MM - wow, that's some fine neighborhood!

Slow roll this guy. Maybe even have to franchise tag him for a year or two. Dallas would be insane to sign him for that kinda money based on what we've seen to date.

So, over the next two-three years, here's you chance to show everybody you deserve it Big Guy. Let her rip and the chips will fall where they may.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
MY SHORT term deal for dak would look like this: 4 YEARS, at 82mil. TOPS. I would make the 4th year a team option. As far as signing bonus I would front load it to no more than 15 mil. I love Dak...and in a real world, that's the most I personally would pay him. In the NFL WORLD, he's getting more than that. Its the Kirk Cousins affect.

Kirk Cousin's deal and what Prescott's deal will be have absolutely ZERO to do with each other. After Cousin's 2012 rookie contract in 2015 he was tagged which drove his price up. Then the following year 2016 the skins AGAIN tagged him really driving his cost up. EVERYBODY in the league saw what happens when you tag someone 2 years in a row. Using Cousins is a very poor analogy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I like Dak a lot... But I wouldn't back up the Brinks truck to secure the guy. Now I'm hearing he may want in the neighborhood of $30MM - wow, that's some fine neighborhood!

Slow roll this guy. Maybe even have to franchise tag him for a year or two. Dallas would be insane to sign him for that kinda money based on what we've seen to date.

So, over the next two-three years, here's you chance to show everybody you deserve it Big Guy. Let her rip and the chips will fall where they may.

The ONLY ones suggesting that Prescott would be demanding a super huge contract are users here and users here don't mean squat when deciding contracts. Prescott has already said PUBLICLY that they will agree on a fair contract for everybody. That doesn't remotely sound like he's holding out for some super contract.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Kirk Cousin's deal and what Prescott's deal will be have absolutely ZERO to do with each other. After Cousin's 2012 rookie contract in 2015 he was tagged which drove his price up. Then the following year 2016 the skins AGAIN tagged him really driving his cost up. EVERYBODY in the league saw what happens when you tag someone 2 years in a row. Using Cousins is a very poor analogy.
How so? Strictly look at the money he got. Was he ..and IS HE WORTH THAT? Did Minny get their money's worth year 1? THAT DEAL IS LAUGHABLE. Don't kid yourself. First thing Daks agent will do..I PROMISE YOU, will be to bring up what Cousins got in his deal. If he doesn't, he should be fired on the spot. HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DAK.

Rayman70

Reaction score
WE have like 4-5 keystone players that need signed..Dak will get paid...and no doubt will be over valued..we cant avoid that, but all Im sayin is, we cant break the bank on any one player...we have too many others to sign. He's not getting Cousins money, and if he does, we are trading away someone like Dlaw or letting good players walk. Can't sign 'em all. Cooler heads must prevail here.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The ONLY ones suggesting that Prescott would be demanding a super huge contract are users here and users here don't mean squat when deciding contracts. Prescott has already said PUBLICLY that they will agree on a fair contract for everybody. That doesn't remotely sound like he's holding out for some super contract.
he's going to be relatively easy to sign compared to Dlaw.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
20 million is well below the going rate. If that at all interests you. Its more about knowing the rate then what you think a QB should make.

Out of curiosity, how much are you willing to pay Dak? 30 million, 27 million, 25 million?

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
My worry with Dak is if he takes the money and can't perform, he's going to get crucified more than ever before. I hope they do low ball him and work him into a better contract next year. There's no need to give him a big time contract now. If he won't take it, sayonara.

cern

Reaction score
The tag is predicated on an average of the top 5 salaries at the position. So some were already making more.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
My worry with Dak is if he takes the money and can't perform, he's going to get crucified more than ever before. I hope they do low ball him and work him into a better contract next year. There's no need to give him a big time contract now. If he won't take it, sayonara.

I personally hope he does well in training camp, and proves people like me wrong who have doubts. The quarterback position is the most important position and the one you better make for sure you don't overpay for.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
I personally hope he does well in training camp, and proves people like me wrong who have doubts. The quarterback position is the most important position and the one you better make for sure you don't overpay for.

So agree, GS. This upcoming season should be an audition year for the big contract next season. He has a new OC and QB Coach. The Cowboys should be looking at how he will fare under these new moves prior to dishing out a huge contract. However, knowing how JJ sometimes has itchy fingers, I think he might just pay Dak in advanced which would be problematic if it doesn't end up working well. This is something we've seen before. Miles Austin comes to mind.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
So agree, GS. This upcoming season should be an audition year for the big contract next season. He has a new OC and QB Coach. The Cowboys should be looking at how he will fare under these new moves prior to dishing out a huge contract. However, knowing how JJ sometimes has itchy fingers, I think he might just pay Dak in advanced which would be problematic if it doesn't end up working well. This is something we've seen before. Miles Austin comes to mind.
Well I guess we have bad luck when we pay guys big. Miles Austin, I often wonder how great he could've been if he hadn't been so injury prone with all those hamstring injuries. But yeah, the cowboys have suffered plenty from over payed players in the past. I mean if we go the wideout route, Dez would be another example of as soon as you pay them, ouch... I wish though the cowboys would've got a more proven name for OC. I like some of the things I've heard, but overall, I might be inclined to agree next year when some of the Daksters start blaming the OC for a loss. :p

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Well I guess we have bad luck when we pay guys big. Miles Austin, I often wonder how great he could've been if he hadn't been so injury prone with all those hamstring injuries. But yeah, the cowboys have suffered plenty from over payed players in the past. I mean if we go the wideout route, Dez would be another example of as soon as you pay them, ouch... I wish though the cowboys would've got a more proven name for OC. I like some of the things I've heard, but overall, I might be inclined to agree next year when some of the Daksters start blaming the OC for a loss. :p

Yes, we have.

You already know the OC is going to get blamed. It's just a matter of when. :p

I just hope Dak proves us all wrong and excels.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much are you willing to pay Dak? 30 million, 27 million, 25 million?

Not sure we have much of a choice. 25 million would probably be about right. 30 million is getting stupid, but Jones will do what he wants. Only chance we have of getting below 30 million is to sign him THIS offseason.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How so? Strictly look at the money he got. Was he ..and IS HE WORTH THAT? Did Minny get their money's worth year 1? THAT DEAL IS LAUGHABLE. Don't kid yourself. First thing Daks agent will do..I PROMISE YOU, will be to bring up what Cousins got in his deal. If he doesn't, he should be fired on the spot. HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DAK.

I guarantee you he has more sense to TRY to associate different issues because it's so easy to dismiss it when actual logic is used. With your logic he'll also bring up Rodger's contract to after all that's a whopper too. Please stop trying to be a cross between a GM and an agent because you not good at either.