Don't focus on Dollar amount, focus on Percentage for Contracts

Jkyle

Reaction score
I think it's natural to focus on how much money a player gets and judge the contract on that.
It is better to focus on the percentage of the Cap the dollars take up instead of the dollar amount.
Many are concerned about Dak being overpaid and think that $30 million is way too high for him, which may be a valid argument.
But if he does get that, which is likely because that is the going rate for starting QB's, then the fact that he may be "Overpaid" is irrelevant because while the dollar amount may be staggering, the percentage of cap space it consumes should be the focus. The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.

Jipper

Reaction score
I think it's natural to focus on how much money a player gets and judge the contract on that.
It is better to focus on the percentage of the Cap the dollars take up instead of the dollar amount.
Many are concerned about Dak being overpaid and think that $30 million is way too high for him, which may be a valid argument.
But if he does get that, which is likely because that is the going rate for starting QB's, then the fact that he may be "Overpaid" is irrelevant because while the dollar amount may be staggering, the percentage of cap space it consumes should be the focus. The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.

this is so important to understand...with the cap continuing to grow the contacts ate going to get out of control from a perception but reality will be less bc of the denominator increase

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, its just a coincidence both super bowl teams last year had QBs on cheap contracts............thus allowing their teams to use cap dollars in free agency and buy better roster depth. We barely made it out of wildcard week with Dak making nothing. Giving him more money and having less to spend on other positions makes no sense for this team, if the goal is to advance in the playoffs.

Now, if your Dak, his agent, or a relative, I totally understand your opinion.

Jkyle

Reaction score
So, its just a coincidence both super bowl teams last year had QBs on cheap contracts............thus allowing their teams to use cap dollars in free agency and buy better roster depth. We barely made it out of wildcard week with Dak making nothing. Giving him more money and having less to spend on other positions makes no sense for this team, if the goal is to advance in the playoffs.

So, are you wanting to just let him play out his contract and draft his replacement? He and his agents won't accept a Hometown discount, they will want market value, which is the $30Million range. Cousins and Garrapolo make $28million per, and those contracts were signed last year. The cap has gone up since then pushing the going rate to $30million.
We may be able to find a better QB in the draft but it is highly unlikely given that we will be drafting in the 20's, which none of the top tier draft QB's will be available.
Of course, we could just let Dak walk after this year, and have a bad QB situation, waisting away the prime years of our Oline, WR's, RB, DE, and LB's. But hey, at least we won't be paying Dak too much money. #WINNING!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.
The cap is set in three year increments. It seemingly goes ones up ever year, due to product sales, about 4 million per team. But yes I agree, as the cap goes up Dak's contract percentage will go down. But handing out big contract after big contract will lead to cap casualties. And that's what most Cowboy fans don't want to see. So to some, it's not necessarily Dak's not worth it, its let's try to keep this team together.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Um, forgive me if I’m not understanding but isn’t the whole issue with people thinking $30 million is too much is precisely because that will be too high a percentage of the cap?

TwentyOne

Reaction score

The reason why player contracts rise each year IS because the salary cap rises each year.

But to argue that a contract that is (too) high this year will be a bargain the following years because the cap rises is a false assumption.

You cant compare what a contract pays a player in the future with the money he will get this year. Thats like comparing oranges with apples. If a contract is too high it is, regardless what it will look against the cap in the following years. You have to compare the value in the same year.

Of course there are more dependencies i dont put into account. I just talk about the most basic one here. A contract that overpays a player in the first year is a contract that overpays him. Nothing will change that.

Whats more is you can always wait. Its not like because player contracts always rise you need to be in a hurry to sign players more early. Contracts always rise like the cap does. The cap rises every year around 10%. QB money for examples rises around 6-7%. So even if the QB money gets into astronomical heights its still better to wait but to give a contract early.

Of course you can argue that Dak will demand moderate money now because he hasnt shown that he is a great QB. But then you also have to live with the risk that he may always be only medicore. And then, with a longterm contract you have bound your franchises faith to him.

To me its not the problem with the money Dak demands. Its binding myself to him. Right now the risk for me would be too high. Id rather wait one more year. I am not convinced right now that he is the answer at the position.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The cap is set in three year increments. It seemingly goes ones up ever year, due to product sales, about 4 million per team. But yes I agree, as the cap goes up Dak's contract percentage will go down. But handing out big contract after big contract will lead to cap casualties. And that's what most Cowboy fans don't want to see. So to some, it's not necessarily Dak's not worth it, its let's try to keep this team together.
It's not one contract, every player wants to get paid. Dak taking $25 million versus $30 million isn't going to keep the team together. The only way to not have cap casualties is if every player takes less and that won't happen. It definitely won't happen with players getting their first chance at signing a big deal. It happens to every team at some point.

Sydla

Reaction score
So, are you wanting to just let him play out his contract and draft his replacement? He and his agents won't accept a Hometown discount, they will want market value, which is the $30Million range. Cousins and Garrapolo make $28million per, and those contracts were signed last year. The cap has gone up since then pushing the going rate to $30million.
We may be able to find a better QB in the draft but it is highly unlikely given that we will be drafting in the 20's, which none of the top tier draft QB's will be available.
Of course, we could just let Dak walk after this year, and have a bad QB situation, waisting away the prime years of our Oline, WR's, RB, DE, and LB's. But hey, at least we won't be paying Dak too much money. #WINNING!

Play out his contract and then make a determination on what he’s worth.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Even the percentage measurement isn’t perfect. I’d focus on the non-QB cap money available. It’s enough nowadays to support even a $30 million QB. There’s still plenty of money to go around for key guys.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Even the percentage measurement isn’t perfect. I’d focus on the non-QB cap money available. It’s enough nowadays to support even a $30 million QB. There’s still plenty of money to go around for key guys.
It's really about (I believe) keeping your really good players at your more and most important positions and drafting as best you can to maintain the rest, along with supplementing depth and replacements.

Maybe that's too simplistic...

Silly

Reaction score
. The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.

I am not saying your idea is wrong. But keep in mind that all positions on the team will demand more money as the cap goes up and not just Dak. I think it brings us back to the question of what does dallas need to do in order to win a championship. If it takes spending 30 million a year on a QB then so be it. However, I hope that QB and put the ball in the end zone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Haters gonna hate.....on everything.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Um, forgive me if I’m not understanding but isn’t the whole issue with people thinking $30 million is too much is precisely because that will be too high a percentage of the cap?
No, the people who think 30 mil is too much are either ignorant about the cap or just hate on everything the Cowboys do.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We found Dak in round 4. Why couldn't we find one in the 20's?

I think you let Dak play out this year and see how he does. No choice at this point anyway. If he's still struggling to break 200 yards on a consistent basis and defenses continue to load the box b/c they don't fear his arm, we should move on. Nobody is paying that guy 30 million. His market value is vastly overrated by cowboy fans.