Don't focus on Dollar amount, focus on Percentage for Contracts

Rayman70

Reaction score
dollars and cents doesn't add up when we have like 4,5 players demanding max contracts. It simply won't happen. Bottomline is..we are losing at least 1 player as a cap casualty.

Techsass

Reaction score
I like Dak & don't want to move on from him, but I don't think he's a $30m QB. Maybe by his next contract he'll be top tier, but right now he is not an elite QB.

What they end up agreeing to won't really effect how I feel about the team. This salary money talk is just a bunch of hypothetical musings to me. My only real interest is that I want them to be a dominant team again.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I like Dak & don't want to move on from him, but I don't think he's a $30m QB. Maybe by his next contract he'll be top tier, but right now he is not an elite QB.

What they end up agreeing to won't really effect how I feel about the team. This salary money talk is just a bunch of hypothetical musings to me. My only real interest is that I want them to be a dominant team again.
Elite qbs are now getting $35 million +

Rayman70

Reaction score

I hear you loud and clear. Bottomline is, he's getting paid and will be in Dallas. Reason being, its supply vs demand.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is not accurate. It is absolutely foolish to overpay, especially for less than top end quality, when the market is inflated. That's being dumb just because everyone else is.

And also, the quantity is not as bare as people make it out to be. There are plenty of 'meh' quarterbacks out there. A lot of other teams play them until they can find someone better, and they don't pay them "market" value either.
Dak is much more than “meh”. He’s 32-16 in 3 yrs and hasn’t missed a game. The first year he was a rookie.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I don't disagree. but Dak is not meh, he is middle of the pack. is he better and have a higher upside compared to these other meh QBs. I think he is..... you really can't win with a journeyman, meh QB. yes its been done, but its very very rare and a big gamble. there is a reason these QBs are journey men. so Dak is going to get paid, its how much guarantee he will get and how long they can stretch it and if things don't work out, what's our options?

I'd say there are maybe 12 QBs above 'meh', then most starters and quite a few backups are meh, then there's garbage. I think Fak is firmly in the 'meh' category with a lower ceiling (but higher floor) than many.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's natural to focus on how much money a player gets and judge the contract on that.
It is better to focus on the percentage of the Cap the dollars take up instead of the dollar amount.
Many are concerned about Dak being overpaid and think that $30 million is way too high for him, which may be a valid argument.
But if he does get that, which is likely because that is the going rate for starting QB's, then the fact that he may be "Overpaid" is irrelevant because while the dollar amount may be staggering, the percentage of cap space it consumes should be the focus. The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.

Dak
Cap ….. 30M as % of Cap
200 ….. 15.00%
210 ….. 14.29%
220 ….. 13.64%
230 ….. 13.04%
240 ….. 12.50%

Aikman
Signed an extension in 1993 that averaged 6.7M per year.
The NFL cap averaged 41.25M from 1994 to 1998.
Aikman's contract AAV was 16.25% of the NFL cap (on average)

Note:
They team pushed Aikman's cap hits forward which lowered the percent of cap for Aikman's cap hit vs the NFL cap in individual years.

Aikman ended up averaging 19.1% of the cap in his final 2 seasons; although, they pushed some of that into the season after he was gone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think it's natural to focus on how much money a player gets and judge the contract on that.
It is better to focus on the percentage of the Cap the dollars take up instead of the dollar amount.
Many are concerned about Dak being overpaid and think that $30 million is way too high for him, which may be a valid argument.
But if he does get that, which is likely because that is the going rate for starting QB's, then the fact that he may be "Overpaid" is irrelevant because while the dollar amount may be staggering, the percentage of cap space it consumes should be the focus. The cap will keep going up $10+ million a year so the percentage impact may lessen each year.

While percentage of cap is the thing to focus on, you haven't made a case here that the percentage of cap isn't a problem.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So, are you wanting to just let him play out his contract and draft his replacement?

I would offer Dak a one year extension at franchise value, spreading half of that money into a bonus to this year.

Then I would be looking for a replacement running QB, and I'd churn those until we hit on one who can really throw.

Our team is built to have and *make use of* a running QB. We get extra functionality out of a cheapo running QB *and* we can afford to pay *two* more top players with the cap savings.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak
Cap ….. 30M as % of Cap
200 ….. 15.00%
210 ….. 14.29%
220 ….. 13.64%
230 ….. 13.04%
240 ….. 12.50%

Aikman

Note:
They team pushed Aikman's cap hits forward which lowered the percent of cap for Aikman's cap hit vs the NFL cap in individual years.

Aikman ended up averaging 19.1% of the cap in his final 2 seasons; although, they pushed some of that into the season after he was gone.

Dak ain't no Aikman.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak
Cap ….. 30M as % of Cap
200 ….. 15.00%
210 ….. 14.29%
220 ….. 13.64%
230 ….. 13.04%
240 ….. 12.50%

Aikman

Note:

Posted a link earlier to an article that out of the last 12 QBs to win a SB only one of them had a salary that was more than 12% of the cap.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dak is very similar to Wilson in my eyes & I hope Dak follows his career path. Wilson is the only $35m QB & he's the highest paid QB right now.
But that is the new elite line. Anyone getting a new contract is going to get that if they are elite. Which is why Dak is being talked about around 30.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I would offer Dak a one year extension at franchise value, spreading half of that money into a bonus to this year.

Then I would be looking for a replacement running QB, and I'd churn those until we hit on one who can really throw.

Our team is built to have and *make use of* a running QB. We get extra functionality out of a cheapo running QB *and* we can afford to pay *two* more top players with the cap savings.

If you want to draft your QB, you trade Dak.

Dak is too good for us to get a top draft pick necessary to draft his successor. And you could use that draft capital to move up if needed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you want to draft your QB, you trade Dak.

Dak is too good for us to get a top draft pick necessary to draft his successor. And you could use that draft capital to move up if needed.

I wouldn't trade Dak and then just hope for a QB in the draft. We should have been churning them. When we have an alternative, then we can think about trading Dak.

I want to churn running QBs. Continuous process of bringing them in and developing them.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Using that specific year's cap hit is not an accurate method to calculate % of cap for that player.

The average cost of that player on the contract when he won the Super Bowl is the accurate method to calculate %cap for that player.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/super-bowl-qbs-cost-as-of-cap.434348/
Makes sense you need to account for signing bonus. But If a rookie contract is extended because they won the SB I wouldnt include the extension in that SB year because it was added after they won. In Rothlisbergers case you would figure the second SB as a separate contract. I wouldnt avg contracts out if they are back loaded because that would just prove as the years go on their salary going up could affect the cap enough where they cant sign all the players they would if they werent paying that much to the QB.

dckid

Reaction score
Pay him 22 million per year and move on. Put in an option for player to opt out and if he outperforms that number Jerry will give him that super contract.
Don’t mess up the future of the team by making dumb decisions.