Don't know why this team doesn't imploy all it's weapons

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see you're still cherry-picking Smith's starts over his full play to dismiss him.

All the News that fits The Narrative.

I don't have a narrative against Devin Smith.

I said prior to training camp that he was one of the players I was most interested to see.

Also, I'm not saying that he has no value; however, they can't play everyone and they do need to focus on Special Teams with regards to the final spots on the game day 46 man roster.

Devin Smith got the starts when Gallup was out and didn't do enough for the team to have him active once Gallup and Cobb were healthy.

Football is about trade-offs. There is rarely a perfect choice when picking players that will be inactive. If that choice is easy then the team lacks depth.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have a fullback we don't use correctly or at all. We have a near Olympian speed guy we don't use in Smith. We have a young tight end that kills it every time he gets a chance. Who we don't use enough of. We have better Linemen we don't use over Williams. And that's just offense. Dallas has so many un used weapons they either refuse to use or to stupid to realize they have them. You gonna tell me you can't give a couple of deep bombs to Smith or Austin. Line up in the power eye "old school" and run the ball with the fullback? Bet Andy Reid would be using every speed guy we have correctly.

On defense. LVE isn't the same player he was last year. Joe Thomas should be starting. Where is Gifford? See what he can do out their at Linebacker. On the D- line why do they continue to want small DT versus a non moveable guy? Teams are just running through our DT's. Our linebackers are running past the runner. And the safeties and corners are just arm tackling. Yet Garrett always talks about playing tough and physical. "REALLY"? Ever taken a look at what the word physical means, Garrett? In closing I just think Dallas doesn't employ nearly enough of their weapons. Why go conventional when you have nukes on the team? Speed kills as does a little imagination. Obviously one of these Dallas is missing. And it's not speed.

- We really don’t have a Fullback …period.
Jamele is really a big RB “ disguised “ as a FB and he clearly plays like it. Before he came here in a trade with the Radas’ . Some were making comparisons between Jamele vs Keith Smith.
When it comes to physicality – there is no comparison., Jamele is so finesse oriented and purely dependent upon positioning and leaning on tacklers vs instead of violently powering into tacklers.

- If you’re going to have an occasional lead blocking FB, have a violent, physical one that knocked the damn LB out of the hole at the line, and also handle an occasional flair pass.
Otherwise, let Tony Pollard get any carries or catches that folks are wanting Olawele to get.
Problem is .. it is Pollard who we have vastly underdeveloped and under-utilized as a weapon thus far this season, Pollard was supposed to be the gimmick, use in space,
mismatch vs LBs coming out of the backfield.

But we’re going into the 10 playing week of the season, and it’s clearly that’s just not going to happen in 2019 with Pollard in the pass game.
But Jamele is supposedly also one of the top special teams coverage tacklers. Much is talked his athleticism where he is supposed to be 4.49 speed, and can run and catch like a RB
(because he really is a RB)

All the hype was about how Moore will matchup Olawale vs LBs, but Jam’s reps and snaps have declined as the season goes on, as we already struggling trying to find plays and roles
for speedy Pollard, so why focus on a finesse FB ?

- And you are waay overdoing it with this “ near Olympian speed “ with Devin Smith, he's is a 4.4 speed guy, but he’s not Tyrek Hill.

And it’s a reason why he’s been inactive for several games on since the Saints game. The coaches have soured on him.
Otherwise not only would he be game day active, but they would definitely try to find spots and packages to use him more on the field, and he has experience as a gunner on special teams
he could’ve contributed there, if they thought that much of his coverage.
Even WR Verdell Bryant is strictly special teams- but he excels at it far more than a Devin.

Coaches just don't seem that in awe or impressed with Devin and they obviously think they get whatever he does best from a Gallup, Cooper, Cobb or an Austin and save that game day roster
for another unit. He’s purely still here on an emergency last resort roster body.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have a fullback we don't use correctly or at all. We have a near Olympian speed guy we don't use in Smith. We have a young tight end that kills it every time he gets a chance. Who we don't use enough of. We have better Linemen we don't use over Williams. And that's just offense. Dallas has so many un used weapons they either refuse to use or to stupid to realize they have them. You gonna tell me you can't give a couple of deep bombs to Smith or Austin. Line up in the power eye "old school" and run the ball with the fullback? Bet Andy Reid would be using every speed guy we have correctly.

On defense. LVE isn't the same player he was last year. Joe Thomas should be starting. Where is Gifford? See what he can do out their at Linebacker. On the D- line why do they continue to want small DT versus a non moveable guy? Teams are just running through our DT's. Our linebackers are running past the runner. And the safeties and corners are just arm tackling. Yet Garrett always talks about playing tough and physical. "REALLY"? Ever taken a look at what the word physical means, Garrett? In closing I just think Dallas doesn't employ nearly enough of their weapons. Why go conventional when you have nukes on the team? Speed kills as does a little imagination. Obviously one of these Dallas is missing. And it's not speed.

- LVE is injured more than what team wants to let on. I fear most of it is neck-shoulder related, not making near as many plays at/around the line, in traffic, in the opposing backfield, bltizing or in coverage.
They won’t start Joe Thomas unless they see LVE ailing so much to where he simply cannot take the field, and a lot depends upon how much they entrust Thomas to sub for LVE.
But if they think Thomas is starter material type, I wouldn’t mind subbing him for LVE to take some wear and tear toll off the Wolf Hunter

- Cowboys much rather use and sub March Lillard over Luke Gifford – that;s very puzzling as Lillard is very limited in coverage and inconsistent vs run. Purely special teams.
Gifford seems to be an absolute last resort. and would only be active if an LVE or Jaylon or Lee are out of a game . Inexperience is a minus with him, and he hasn't played or gain enough
experience to displace even the very limited March Lillard. .

- Our DTs are really not that small with at 310 to 315, as compared to Philly’s DTs, how much more bigger are they vs ours ?
imo, it’s not always about size as Ron Payne ( skins) and Tim Jurnigan (philly) are not massive guys and some players play bigger than their size suggest, but it's more so how they
anchor and play vs run and be best ” schemed” to play the run - per DL coach ...

- When it comes to run defense, that comes first and solely on the front seven, safeties are a last resort or a devised 8th man plan to stop a premiere RB, but you dont want them having big tackle numbers vs run ..and it’s Awuzie that’s a concern and he is giving up a big play in virtually every game and his confidence is waning. Thompson isn’t a turnover guy, but more about effort & positioning.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't have a narrative against Devin Smith.

I said prior to training camp that he was one of the players I was most interested to see.

Also, I'm not saying that he has no value; however, they can't play everyone and they do need to focus on Special Teams with regards to the final spots on the game day 46 man roster.

Devin Smith got the starts when Gallup was out and didn't do enough for the team to have him active once Gallup and Cobb were healthy.

Football is about trade-offs. There is rarely a perfect choice when picking players that will be inactive. If that choice is easy then the team lacks depth.

You keep talking about his starts and not what he has done on the non-starts.

I recall the start where he got targeted. Dak threw some bad balls at him.

And while you talk about the need for special teams, you cut out how his combine profile calls him one of the best gunners in college football.

And counter to your narrative again, he wasn't active when Cobb was *out* and Gallup, Cooper, and Austin were all on the injury report, *and* Cooper had to bail early in the game from his existing injury.

The truth is about all the relevant evidence, not just what fits your narrative.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you're the type to take every word you read/hear literally, then that's on you. People mostly speak in generalities, not specificities. "Every time" is not meant to be taken literally.

You really typed out that entire response just to be nit-picky and argue that the term "every time" shouldn't be used?
I'm sure it wasn't meant to be taken literally, but I do believe it was meant to be taken as only a slight exaggeration, when it's actually a big exaggeration.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Are you kidding????? IF they actually went hell bent and got innovative and run plays the WHOLE TV audience isn't calling as they line up, well Mr Clappy just wouldn't be able to look at himself in the mirror if this team were to assert itself and blow these others out in 3 qtrs.... nope just couldn't live with that guilt hanging on his Princeton honor....

dallas72

Reaction score

LVE has a neck injury and on meds for balance in his equilibrium...but hes still top 3 in tackles...

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
LVE has a neck injury and on meds for balance in his equilibrium...but hes still top 3 in tackles...
Who cares if most of his tackles are 5 yards or more past the LOS! He is not playing well. He has a very hard time getting off blocks. All are starting backers do. At least Lee often beats the blocker to the hole.

Creeper

Reaction score
While I agree that Devon Smith is more of a receiving threat than Ventell Bryant, I am not convinced the Cowboys have a better option at LG right now than Connor Williams. I am not even convinced Williams is the weak link on the offensive line. I wonder if Tavon Austin is really the weak link in the WR corp. He can run those jet sweeps okay, but as a receiver in routes? I'd rather have Devon Smith running those deep posts. I think Cooper, Gallup and Cobb make a really group. I think Tavon Austin doesn't add as much to that as Smith. Austin is a gimmick plays guy.

Williams and LVE are both young players drafted in the 2nd and 1st round, respectively. They are the future. You can put in Su'a Filo but let's not fool ourselves that he is a great offensive lineman. He has as many if not more warts than Williams who is more athletic by far. LVE showed he can play a lot better than he is playing this year. I will say this, when LVE missed a game, Lee looked like an all-pro. I am curious if that was a one game fluke or if Lee is just better playing that position. What we saw from Lee was a LB who was attacking the gaps and hitting the RB at the LOS. What we see from LVE is a LB who hits the RB 5 yards downfield.

catiii

Reaction score
Not using all their best weapons has been going on with this team for a long time.
The reason?
It still comes back to JJ wanting the highest paid players on the field
so the plunger can get his money's worth. The clapper goes along because he is impotent and
likely doesn't even care who is out there so he won't make a case for better/faster.
The Cowboys culture places more value on individuals than the team's welfare. This culture
shows in the player's actions as well, i.e. Zeke's jersey signing spectacle on national TV.
Nothing to be shocked about here - it's the Cowboys culture.

Last edited:

JonesBoys

Reaction score

It’s called Jason Garrett

kskboys

Reaction score
Not using all their best weapons has been going on with this team for a long time.
The reason?
It still comes back to JJ wanting the highest paid players on the field
so the plunger can get his money's worth. The clapper goes along because he is impotent and
likely doesn't even care who is out there so he won't make a case for better/faster.
The Cowboys culture places more value on individuals than the team's welfare. This culture
shows in the player's actions as well, i.e. Zeke's jersey signing spectacle on national TV.
Nothing to be shocked about here - it's the Cowboys culture.
Hey, let's add weight to a lightly built outside speed threat and run him up the middle because I drafted him!!!!!! (Felix Jones)

billsfaninkc

Reaction score
I think Buffalo's Sean McDermott and Jason Garrett are pretty similar coaches.
Both are white dudes.
Both are not obese.
No beards.
They clap at inappropriate times.
Both aren't great game day coaches.
I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. The Clapper Bowl

Aven8

Reaction score

people aren’t running through our DT’s. We are stunting around them allowing the holes.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Could it be because "imploy" isn't a word?

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score

- Fully agree on the first part. You completely read my mind on this one.

- Partially agree on the second paragraph.

1. Jarwin and Smith on offense should be used A LOT more. Williams is good but improving. Also, INTEGRATE THE FULLBACK! These are immediate upgrades and we already have them.

2. As far as Defense. Use Bennett more. I don't care if his playing time may cost us an additional 6th or 7th round pick two years from now (if that is in his contract). Use Shawn Lee as we did when LVE was injured. He gets better as the game goes on, just like Zeke does. Also, rotate the D a bit throughout the game if they are playing long stretches. It keeps the D fresh. We HAVE the depth.

3. Just because, every other team uses the shotgun all the time, doesn't mean we have to do it all the time. The Fullback is not being utilized. The FB easing his way in could very well be a huge upgrade. I mentioned this way back when Fiammetta was blocking for Murray with great success. And I think EVERYONE remembers when Emmitt got the rushing record. The first person he went to thank was Daryl "Moose" Johnston.

As Jimmy Johnson once said. "Give me players with speed and intelligence".

We have them right now. Now we have to use them.

These little "tweaks" that are already available could get us more W's in the Win column easily. And very simple to do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that our coaches are far too apprehensive to utilize their younger players. That's very much the old way of doing things. This, instead of working hard with them to improve as quickly as possible. I believe that's where this coaching staff tends to err in their fear of younger players making too many mistakes. Today's more successful coaches seem to work harder to ensure their development as quickly as possible. Coach Garrett is and quite consistently has been ultra-conservative in that respect. Apparently, some things never change. :rolleyes:

Last edited: