Don't tell me modern music doesn't suck

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Yeah I've raised my daughter listening to Queen,Tom Petty, hootie and the blow fish, Joplin, Beatles, Aerosmith, Chili peppers etc. now at 12 she doesn't care for today's music. The one she does like is Sean Mendez.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Modern music isn't awful. There is obviously always going to be garbage in the Top-10; there has been since the beginning of time. The Beatles are considered the best band of all time, yet their song ABOUT HOLDING HANDS WAS THE BEST SELLING SONG IN AMERICA for God's sake.

But alas, I will watch the video then come up with my rebuttal, because my life is empty.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Modern music isn't awful. There is obviously always going to be garbage in the Top-10; there has been since the beginning of time. The Beatles are considered the best band of all time, yet their song ABOUT HOLDING HANDS WAS THE BEST SELLING SONG IN AMERICA for God's sake.

But alas, I will watch the video then come up with my rebuttal, because my life is empty.
I knew you'd comment here, but I wasn't expecting you so soon! Lol

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

It is. Your standards are just too low.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
This video is frustratingly close-minded, and presents an awful generalization of modern music.

First things first, today's "youth" are not listening to Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, or Lady Gaga, really. They were more popular several years ago.

This dude seriously compares A Day in the Life by the Beatles to Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke? lmao. A Day in the Life is considered a masterpiece. Blurred Lines is considered a catchy song to get down to. There is no comparison. Why don't they choose one of the songs created today that DOES compare?

And comparing the "lyrical intelligence" pof Bob Dylan and Morrisey to Beyonce and Duck Sauce? The Beyonce track was a dance song, the Duck Sauce track was a dance track. They were not made to have intelligent lyrics. They were made to dance to. No one is dancing to those Dylan or Morrisey tracks. So is something now wrong with dance music?

Luke Gottwald and Max Martin are not responsible for the "vast majority" of popular music today. Does this dude realize how much music is released every single day?

"Instead of trying to find genuine musical talent, they [the music industry] simply take a pretty young face, usually from a TV talent show, and then simply force the public to like them".

The #1 best selling artist
of the 2010's was Adele. She published her own music online on myspace and was recognized from there.
The 2nd best selling artist of the 2010's is Drake. He was already an actor before he started his music career.
The 3rd best selling artist of the 2010's is Ed Sheeran. He played in small clubs for years, before he, whilst homeless in LA, was noticed by Jamie Foxx in a club, who proceeded to get him a deal.
The 4th best selling artist of the 2010's is Justin Bieber. He started his career by posting his videos on youtube, when record label executive Scooter Braune clicked on one of them by accident, and was immediately impressed.

So where are these "TV talent show" contestants we've been "forced" to like? I assume none of them are "genuine musical talents"? Eminem, Rihanna, and Bruno Mars (who has actually written multiple top-10 tracks for other people, for instance, Bruno wrote 'Forget You" for CeeLo Green) and various others in the top-10 most popular artists of the past decade? None of them were from "TV talent shows".

He goes on to talk about liking pop songs on the first listen, and how we're basically "conditioned" to like them by being forced to listen to them on the radio, in the supermarket, etc.

Is it not natural to take several listens to like a song, or a band for that matter? I didn't love Pink Floyd years ago when I first started listening to them. Yet I listened to them several times afterwards, and eventually started to love them. Same with Radiohead, the Smiths, The Velvet Underground... Any band I could currently consider one of my favorite bands.

I can't comment on the "scientific" aspects of this video because of lack of knowledge. I do understand what he's talking about regarding compression and things like that because I have a history in audio engineering.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

You create a thread telling me not to tell you that "modern doesn't suck." You already know how I'm going to respond.

Modern music is the best music ever. It's better than all that other junk we grew up listening too. And that's a fact, due to the fact that modern musicians are way richer and more popular then musicians of yesteryear.
:hammer:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This video is frustratingly close-minded, and presents an awful generalization of modern music.

First things first, today's "youth" are not listening to Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, or Lady Gaga, really. They were more popular several years ago.

This dude seriously compares A Day in the Life by the Beatles to Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke? lmao. A Day in the Life is considered a masterpiece. Blurred Lines is considered a catchy song to get down to. There is no comparison. Why don't they choose one of the songs created today that DOES compare?

And comparing the "lyrical intelligence" pof Bob Dylan and Morrisey to Beyonce and Duck Sauce? The Beyonce track was a dance song, the Duck Sauce track was a dance track. They were not made to have intelligent lyrics. They were made to dance to. No one is dancing to those Dylan or Morrisey tracks. So is something now wrong with dance music?

Luke Gottwald and Max Martin are not responsible for the "vast majority" of popular music today. Does this dude realize how much music is released every single day?

"Instead of trying to find genuine musical talent, they [the music industry] simply take a pretty young face, usually from a TV talent show, and then simply force the public to like them".

The #1 best selling artist
of the 2010's was Adele. She published her own music online on myspace and was recognized from there.
The 2nd best selling artist of the 2010's is Drake. He was already an actor before he started his music career.
The 3rd best selling artist of the 2010's is Ed Sheeran. He played in small clubs for years, before he, whilst homeless in LA, was noticed by Jamie Foxx in a club, who proceeded to get him a deal.
The 4th best selling artist of the 2010's is Justin Bieber. He started his career by posting his videos on youtube, when record label executive Scooter Braune clicked on one of them by accident, and was immediately impressed.

So where are these "TV talent show" contestants we've been "forced" to like? I assume none of them are "genuine musical talents"? Eminem, Rihanna, and Bruno Mars (who has actually written multiple top-10 tracks for other people, for instance, Bruno wrote 'Forget You" for CeeLo Green) and various others in the top-10 most popular artists of the past decade? None of them were from "TV talent shows".

He goes on to talk about liking pop songs on the first listen, and how we're basically "conditioned" to like them by being forced to listen to them on the radio, in the supermarket, etc.

Is it not natural to take several listens to like a song, or a band for that matter? I didn't love Pink Floyd years ago when I first started listening to them. Yet I listened to them several times afterwards, and eventually started to love them. Same with Radiohead, the Smiths, The Velvet Underground... Any band I could currently consider one of my favorite bands.

I can't comment on the "scientific" aspects of this video because of lack of knowledge. I do understand what he's talking about regarding compression and things like that because I have a history in audio engineering.
He's generalizing. He didn't say there are no talented artists out there, he's just talking about a very large percentage of the cookie cutter pop.......Oh, and Justin Bieber sucks.......hard. If the little girls weren't in love with him, he's still be posting his videos on YouTube.

As for TV talent show contestants, I'm guessing he means the likes of Adam Lambert, and most of the American Idol type show winners, whose names I don't recall because they're not worth knowing, for me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You create a thread telling me not to tell you that "modern doesn't suck." You already know how I'm going to respond.

Modern music is the best music ever. It's better than all that other junk we grew up listening too. And that's a fact, due to the fact that modern musicians are way richer and more popular then musicians of yesteryear.
:hammer:
LMAO!