Dorance Armstrong actually kind of beat Tyron Smith which is ridiculously exciting

waving monkey

Reaction score
What if I told you that a rookie pass rusher would be given the number 74, live up to its large shadow in a small way, and beat Tyron Smith at one point in one training camp?

Let’s be clear. Dorance Armstrong isn’t Bob Lilly, nor will he ever be, but he really is coming on quite nicely for a pass rusher, let alone one who’s doing it for the first time at the NFL level.

Armstrong has been one of the surprisse of camp so far and has plenty of people salivating. It’s been a long time since Cowboys fans were this excited about a rookie defensive end, and typically when you have a rookie like this you want to see how he does against your stars.

Remember back when Tyron Smith was a rookie, it was fascinating to watch how he battled DeMarcus Ware. There were moments that Tyron won when it was obvious how great of a player he would grow to be. We might be seeing something similar in Dorance Armstrong, who took on Tyron himself this past Wednesday.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...at-tyron-smith-which-is-ridiculously-exciting

_sturt_

Reaction score
Wait. You say Armstrong is beating him. And, Gregory is beating him. And, that last season, his injuries became a real problem

Isn't it maybe just as reasonable to be concerned that Tyron is getting beat by a rookie and someone who has hardly played for any time in the league?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm excited about the young man and I hope to be excited for a long time. I am well aware that it's the middle of August and Pro Bowl voting is a ways off but the way I see it, it's no reason not to be excited about what he's done to this point in his career.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Sam! ,,,I'm unable to achieve the "tingling edge of wetness" all the while " teetering on the edge of the brink",,,,er,,,concercerning stories such as these,,,as I've Two words fer objective analysis: WAR DEAD!
:starspin:o_O:starspin:

iamliko22

Reaction score
Wait. You say Armstrong is beating him. And, Gregory is beating him. And, that last season, his injuries became a real problem

Isn't it maybe just as reasonable to be concerned that Tyron is getting beat by a rookie and someone who has hardly played for any time in the league?

Exactly how I felt reading this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That may be a valid point, although I'm inclined to take it as a promising sign that our talent at DE is showing signs of getting much better. It's been said by Travis Frederick and others that Tyron is looking better in camp than he has in years. With that being said, shouldn't we be happy? :)

GenoT

Reaction score
Don’t wanna throw a turd in the punch bowl here, but a veteran pro-bowler like T-Smith isn’t exactly fighting for a roster spot when he’s facing guys like Armstrong and Gregory during preseason drills.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This talk about beating Smith is exciting for our defense, but I hope it isn’t concerning about Tyron. I hope it is more indicative that our defense is great and not that Smith is declining. Hearing a rookie 4th round pick and a recently reinstated player who has missed the last 2 years is beating the best LT in football makes you wonder.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
But in the 'Eagles suck' thread, several posters said it's only preseason and one should not take such performances or evaluations seriously.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Don’t wanna throw a turd in the punch bowl here, but a veteran pro-bowler like T-Smith isn’t exactly fighting for a roster spot when he’s facing guys like Armstrong and Gregory during preseason drills.
Ya,,,I'd lay a dollar down on that myself,Geno-T:starspin:

HungryLion

Reaction score

Maybe.

Then again Tyron is stonewalling everyone else.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

In other words, the effort given might be something less than a desperate attempt to survive. Food for thought, no doubt! There IS pride, though. ;)

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
If there is anyone on this roster that I am not worried about, it's #77.

I think McClay got us a stud in the fourth and also believe he will be more of an impact player than LVE his first year.