Dorance Armstrong actually kind of beat Tyron Smith which is ridiculously exciting

_sturt_

Reaction score
Maybe.

Then again Tyron is stonewalling everyone else.

Maybe.

Then again, stonewalling Taco or anyone else isn't a surprise. But if he's stonewalling Tank... and I've not heard either way, so feel free to get me better informed, no kidding... then we seem to have a real good basis for enthusiasm.

Reaction score
As good as the DL and LB rotation is looking I'm starting to think the Cowboys may make a move to bolster their uber-thin safety position. I can understand them not making a move if they think they are more than one player away from having a solid defense, but if the front 7 is as good as advertised it would be a crying shame to have a weak secondary undermine the whole thing.

robbieruff

Reaction score
What if I told you that a rookie pass rusher would be given the number 74, live up to its large shadow in a small way, and beat Tyron Smith at one point in one training camp?

Let’s be clear. Dorance Armstrong isn’t Bob Lilly, nor will he ever be, but he really is coming on quite nicely for a pass rusher, let alone one who’s doing it for the first time at the NFL level.

Armstrong has been one of the surprisse of camp so far and has plenty of people salivating. It’s been a long time since Cowboys fans were this excited about a rookie defensive end, and typically when you have a rookie like this you want to see how he does against your stars.

Remember back when Tyron Smith was a rookie, it was fascinating to watch how he battled DeMarcus Ware. There were moments that Tyron won when it was obvious how great of a player he would grow to be. We might be seeing something similar in Dorance Armstrong, who took on Tyron himself this past Wednesday.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...at-tyron-smith-which-is-ridiculously-exciting
Tyron looking more like a previous #68 than his current #77...but I will give it to the rook and not (yet) worry about Smith and his recent string (last season) of physical issues...Dorance looks like he will be the next Charles Haley based on recent practice reports...really hoping he asserts him as the designated pass rush guy this year...

ghst187

Reaction score
The real loser if Armstrong becomes a stud, esp in year 1, is Demarcus Lawrence who will be looking for a huge payday but won’t get it from us.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What if I told you that a rookie pass rusher would be given the number 74, live up to its large shadow in a small way, and beat Tyron Smith at one point in one training camp?

I'd tell you that the oline doesn't go full blast against the dline in training camp. And they shouldn't, particularly against the DEs, on whom they have 60lbs or more.

Olines beat up on dlines. You don't beat up your own team.

I don't mean to deny Armstrong's progress. But beating Tyron in training camp just isn't the same as beating him in a real game.