Dorance Armstrong Review

conner01

Reaction score
Why at LDE? Smith seems a much better fit at RDE and we need someone there, Crawford is a better fit at LDE backing up DLaw IMO (if he returns, which I think he will after a paycut).
Crawford to me is depth
Assuming Gregory comes back I want smith, Dlaw and Gregory getting the majority of snaps

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He seems like what he was coming out of college. A guy with some potential to make it, but probably is lucky to be in the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that's his minimum. The young guys could force him to go long. Some are also tweeners that could possibly considered OLB's.
Yes, guys like Anae could be considered an OLB in terms of roster head count by position.
" Maybe Randy Gregory " ...?? are you basing the Maybe off Ole goody Goodell yet to reinstate Randy ?

i know it's been quite awhile off again... but when it comes to first step get off and agile- bend, there's no one that surpasses Randy
in those areas. Hes' the most athletic player and probably the most explosive of the pass rushers.

Alden has considerable amount of bend and agility himself but i don't think it's on the level of Gregory. but Alden has the enormous power
in his arms and upper body that Gregory doesn't, many of his sacks i've seen is more where he just overpowered blockers and twist-bend to
get " skinny" past blockers into gapes towards the QB.

Maybe in your extensive research you can please evaluate randy's run defense as for a guy that is around his mere 250 pounds, he uses
his length, arms and surprising play strength to string out run plays. i've seen that on quite a bit of his clips.

of course RG being out so long, only so limited amount games played for his career, still quite some inexperience and never been committed to the Cowboys
off season strength programming that plays into some uncertainty in him possibly starting...imo.

o_O

Yes, maybe because it's a big maybe with regards to him actually playing.

Randy Gregory was top 2 as a run defender in his draft class of all the top outside pass rushers.

He has a freakish ability to play with leverage against OL that outweigh him by a huge amount.

In college he put a 330 pound OT (selected 1st round that year) on roller skates with his bull-rush (repeatedly).

Gregory was definitely a superior run defender as compared to Robert Quinn.

The last time Gregory returned from suspension, Marinelli said he showed up in as good or better condition to anyone on the team.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Crawford to me is depth
Assuming Gregory comes back I want smith, Dlaw and Gregory getting the majority of snaps

Exactly, Crawford is a great depth player who can start at multiple positions if injuries force the team into that. He isn't going to do it at his current salary but there is a lot of value in a NBA-like "6th Man" that can start at multiple positions.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Randy Gregory was top 2 as a run defender in his draft class of all the top outside pass rushers.

He also is in the upper tier of DE's that can make plays all over the line of scrimmage. One of the most impressive plays I've seen Gregory make didn't even show up in the stat line. He was at RDE and beat his man, then knifed between traffic on a sweep to the other side of the field. He was probably the farthest away from the play, had to beat several opponents and he would have made the tackle on the far sideline if an LB hadn't gotten there one step earlier.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
not a automatic that he makes the team.
he could but i think the final spot could be him or joe jackson...i like Jackson.
the DE group will be fun to watch.
That's all that really needs to be said, all speculation beyond this.
Im actually excited to see what shakes out, good evaluation will pay off this year. I believe in that with this roster and this staff in place.

817Gill

Reaction score
Some very strange awnsers here lol. He had a very good sack rate for the amount of snaps he play. He improved significantly from 2018. Thats about 7 sacks if he got starter reps. He is a quality backup 7T.

I dont see him and Anae are competing with each other. They both play different alignments. Anae will likely get snaps in 8 or 9 gaps standing up or in a wide set, whereas Armstrong is likely going to be more of backup than a rotational player considering he is a 7T.

Thats your bottom roster DE's. Jelks or Jackson will have to convince them to go heavy at DE.
Exactly

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
I caught his glove in NY at the Giants game last season lol other than that he means nothing to me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, guys like Anae could be considered an OLB in terms of roster head count by position.

He has a freakish ability to play with leverage against OL that outweigh him by a huge amount.

In college he put a 330 pound OT (selected 1st round that year) on roller skates with his bull-rush (repeatedly).

The last time Gregory returned from suspension, Marinelli said he showed up in as good or better condition to anyone on the team.
I think we keep 6 "DE's with Armstrong and Anae being #5 and 5A. I think Anae will get more snaps because he fills a niche, whereas Armstrong is more of a backup. He may even get fewer snaps than last year because I dont think we will rotate as much

quickccc

Reaction score

Good points.

Unless Gregory himself is privately experiencing unforeseen issues such as continuing anxiety, depression issues that could hinder his preparation and return
(something that has been "speculated" last year upon mystery of his supposed appealed filing) ......Gregory would be (should be ?) THE sole player the NFL world is looking upon in the new re--surface and re-workings of the new terms and conditions of the new CBA policy, it comes to disciplinary action course and substance abuse guidelines - especially in regards to marijuana usage.

Whether some here agree or not, Like it or not, he has been made the poster child that likely could have had as much impact in the new terms and conditions of the new CBA policy like no other player.
Also Gregory has never been the subject of law enforcement arrest or personal conduct policy violation so that would all the more tend to signature
reasons why Gregory stands a better chance of reinstatement by Goodell.

I read where Alden had already made several appeals (over last 5 years) before that didn't go through well, ..until now.
And if we follow his past footprints into his violations, Gregory's prior suspensions hasn't been anywhere even close to the severity of continuing mess that Alden was going through. That included domestic violence, DWI's, personal conduct violations, etc.
Like many i thought his days in the NFL were done and he'd never be given another chance again.

Even with Goodell it would be very hard for me seeing Gregory in a totally difference sense of approach and disapproval to deny him reinstatement.
And Alden's camp only just recently reapplied for reinstatement ..and quickly got the approval for reinstatement last week.

Why would Gregory's case be any more difficult for reinstatement approval vs Alden's case ?

Frankly i think it's has to be more about Gregory than Goodell, Randy's camp has to do their part.
- For one, he himself has to be in the right frame of mind, heart and determination, to continue football.
- 2nd) his camp has have to already officially filed and submitted his petition for reinstatement,.. not seeking or plans to submit as what we were
reportedly hearing prior to the season.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
Armstrong, a RD4 pick in 2018, is going into his third year with us.

I wanted to take the temperature from the zone.

He hasn't been able get playing time (in on 23% of snaps) & has been bad on special teams (missed all his tackle attempt last year). Though, he has a good first step and has flashed at times. 2.5 sacks and a FF last year in 257 snaps.

What do we think about him going forward? Any chance he doesn't make the team?

I'm not sure if he's going to make the team this year. I personnaly, never saw the love for his game. He was the former staff's pet, but the new staff loves thier guys from the draft.

quickccc

Reaction score
Crawford to me is depth

A $7 million dollar backup depth guy who is limited as a pass rushing DE and a guy that is really more of
a nickel rushing DT ?
wow, isn't that making any sense ? :huh:

conner01

Reaction score
A $7 million dollar backup depth guy who is limited as a pass rushing DE and a guy that is really more of
a nickel rushing DT ?
wow, isn't that making any sense ? :huh:
Actually I think it’s 8
But until you know you have someone to play it’s worth it
You think it saves more cutting him today?
What is the harm in seeing if any of these other guys are gonna be playing before you make that decision
Smith hasn’t played in 5 years
Isn’t it smart to see what he can do in camp?
Gregory is not reinstated
Might be smart to see if he is,right?
Armstrong and others need to see if they’ve improved or with the rookies, can they play
Cutting Crawford today or in camp
What’s the difference
I assume Fred will be a June 1 cut to spread out his money
Don’t think that’s needed with Crawford
Seems logical to me to see if you have his replacement before cutting him

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually I think it’s 8
But until you know you have someone to play it’s worth it
You think it saves more cutting him today?
What is the harm in seeing if any of these other guys are gonna be playing before you make that decision
Smith hasn’t played in 5 years
Isn’t it smart to see what he can do in camp?
Gregory is not reinstated
Might be smart to see if he is,right?
Armstrong and others need to see if they’ve improved or with the rookies, can they play
Cutting Crawford today or in camp
What’s the difference
I assume Fred will be a June 1 cut to spread out his money
Don’t think that’s needed with Crawford
Seems logical to me to see if you have his replacement before cutting him

You were talking about him in terms of backup quality depth - and at the price he is commanding now, and that alone does not make sense to be carrying him
as such a damn pricey backup - and a backup just playing in spots and occasions, to be carrying that kind of price tag,
You initially weren't making references to not cutting him now...until now.

Since there is no Everson Griffen in the mix as of now, and uncertainty with the conditioning and starting status of Alden or Gregory to be potential starters or another outside stopgap vet name especially with being out so very long out of the game., there's evaluation time for options.

With Crawford still on the team now, you're buying time NOW and between the regular season start until you can either bring in someone of value in his place as a starter. (ala Griffin?) or the teams decides it can gamble with what else is current on the roster.
The big difference is it doesn't matter if It were Pre-June or Post-June, cutting Crawford - at any point - just doesn't impact your cap cost, so long as he doesn't get hurt in camp,as he is still under that existing contract..

Camp doesn't have any high stakes all cost counts as the regular season - but i am saying it does not make sense to carry him as a backup into 2020 reg season with that kind of price tag.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Big time disappointment. It’s clear he can’t handle NFL O Lineman.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong could be in the same category of other mid round DE draft picks they give an excuse about how they were steals. Because they were raw, not used correctly in college. Because of the 3-4 or 4-3 change crap. Remember they said this about Taco also.
Remember Ryan Russell and Charles Tapper?

So could Armstrong be the next in line here. I will give him another year to see, and he will have TC competition more than before.
Everyone still high on Jelks and Jackson also. I never liked either pick actually. As we heard the same thing about them as all the others. As I thought they could have gone S.

I know those 2 players need a year or 2 also to develop. So yes, I will pull for them as well. Armstrong did show flashes in real games though.

Where Armstrong and / or Anae makes the team could depend what they do with Crawford. They may use him more on the inside again, though I prefer he be released which will be best for the team moving forward. They may be forced to keep 11 DL.

Also we need to remember many of these players are from Rod, so how do they fit, how pumped up were they from his viewpoint. They may not be what MM and Carroll want.

Jackson, Jelks, Armstrong all could be on the outside looking in with Anae being drafted, Smith being signed and Gregory probably returning as well.
However, Smith and Gregory do have to still impress to make the team, that is not a given.

Really need OTA's to start soon to see some sort of order.

jaybird

Reaction score
I was excited for him last year but hard to be this year. With so little progress last year, I can’t see him on the team. Would like one of the other DE’s to make a jump. Jackson or Jelks.
This
He needs to step up this year