Dozens of Dairy Queens to close after franchisee files for bankruptcy

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://kxan.com/2017/10/31/more-than-70-dairy-queens-to-close-after-company-files-for-bankruptcy/

LUBBOCK, Texas (KLBK) — The parent company of dozens of Dairy Queen locations, including one in Central Texas, filed for bankruptcy on Monday.

The Vasari LLC website listed more than 70 Dairy Queen locations, including one in Giddings, Texas.

A call to the company headquarters revealed a recorded message saying the company filed for bankruptcy but the recording did not reveal much more. A look at court records made it clear the company is trying to find a way to stay in business.

Vasari LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy listing a category of debt between $10 million and $50 million. The category of assets was listed also as between $10 million and $50 million.

Chapter 11 allows for debts to be organized as opposed to Chapter 7 which calls for liquidation. Vasari’s bankruptcy petition indicated there would be enough money to pay unsecured creditors.

An emergency motion in the bankruptcy case said, “[Vasari] has identified its underperforming restaurants and will use the breathing spell provided by the filing of this bankruptcy case to continue to analyze those locations, their profitability, and potential remedies…”

Certain locations will be closed. Others might later be sold. Court records said low oil prices hit some of its restaurants. Mother nature was also a factor.

“Most recently, several of [Vasari’s] stores were negatively impacted by Hurricane Harvey – resulting in physical damage, extended closures, and loss of inventory,” the emergency motion said.

Court records also said, “[Vasari] owns/operates approximately 70 Dairy Queen (“DQ”) restaurants located in Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, employing approximately nine hundred (900) non-insiders, not including twenty (20) corporate employees. Average daily performance across the Debtor’s DQ locations is $136,299.00 in net sales and 15,500 transactions.”

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They went through something similar around 10 years ago, and pulled most of the DFW stores.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://kxan.com/2017/10/31/more-than-70-dairy-queens-to-close-after-company-files-for-bankruptcy/

LUBBOCK, Texas (KLBK) — The parent company of dozens of Dairy Queen locations, including one in Central Texas, filed for bankruptcy on Monday.

The Vasari LLC website listed more than 70 Dairy Queen locations, including one in Giddings, Texas.

A call to the company headquarters revealed a recorded message saying the company filed for bankruptcy but the recording did not reveal much more. A look at court records made it clear the company is trying to find a way to stay in business.

Vasari LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy listing a category of debt between $10 million and $50 million. The category of assets was listed also as between $10 million and $50 million.

Chapter 11 allows for debts to be organized as opposed to Chapter 7 which calls for liquidation. Vasari’s bankruptcy petition indicated there would be enough money to pay unsecured creditors.

An emergency motion in the bankruptcy case said, “[Vasari] has identified its underperforming restaurants and will use the breathing spell provided by the filing of this bankruptcy case to continue to analyze those locations, their profitability, and potential remedies…”

Certain locations will be closed. Others might later be sold. Court records said low oil prices hit some of its restaurants. Mother nature was also a factor.

“Most recently, several of [Vasari’s] stores were negatively impacted by Hurricane Harvey – resulting in physical damage, extended closures, and loss of inventory,” the emergency motion said.

Court records also said, “[Vasari] owns/operates approximately 70 Dairy Queen (“DQ”) restaurants located in Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, employing approximately nine hundred (900) non-insiders, not including twenty (20) corporate employees. Average daily performance across the Debtor’s DQ locations is $136,299.00 in net sales and 15,500 transactions.”

OK, so an average DQ owned by this company is doing a shade less than $2K per day and about $700K per year.

So if food costs are about 30%, that should leave about $400K for everything else. Employee costs are probably 1/2 that amount. Leaves about $200K. Leashold maybe a couple grand a month... No idea what DQ corporate gets as far as a % of sales.

A typical Subway will do $200-$300K a year.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Most of the DQ's in this area are in poor locations and are a bit outdated.

I think the lack of a drive thru has hurt them as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A look at court records made it clear the company is trying to find a way to stay in business.
He is an idea....price your ice cream related products so most people can afford them.

A few months ago I took the family to get Blizzards as a special treat because it was over 100 degrees. I almost fell out when the clerk rang up our order. We haven't been back and won't after that. Bottom line is it's ice cream not some highly collectible gold plated item.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The following is a preliminary list of stores to be liquidated according to a motion to retain an auctioneer.

1. Hobbs 220 West Bender Boulevard Hobbs New Mexico 88240
  2. Raton 1630 Cedar Street Raton New Mexico 87740
  3. Clinton 720 West Gary Boulevard Clinton Oklahoma 73601
  4. Admiral 7819 East Admiral Place Admiral Oklahoma 74115
  5. Owasso 9495 North Owasso Expressway Owasso Oklahoma 74055
  6. Crosbyton 303 West Main Street Crosbyton Texas 79322
  7. Denver City 500 West Broadway Denver City Texas 79323
  8. Idalou 108 West 1st Street Idalou Texas 79329
  9. Lockney 217 South Main Street, Lockney, TX 79241 Lockney Texas 79241
  10. Merkel 1107 North 7th Street Merkel Texas 79536
  11. Post 601 North Broadway Post Texas 79356
  12. Seagraves 1005 Railroad Seagraves Texas 79359
  13. Clarendon 603 West 2nd Street Clarendon Texas 79226
  14. Claude 298 West 1st Street Claude Texas 79017
  15. Coleman 2000 South Commercial Avenue Coleman Texas 76834
  16. Perryton 1014 South Main Street Perryton Texas 79070
  17. Shamrock 1243 North Main Street Shamrock Texas 79079
  18. Wellington 1010 Houston Street Wellington Texas 79095
  19. Dalhart 215 Oak Avenue Dalhart Texas 79022
  20. Dumas 224 S. Dumas Avenue Dumas Texas 79029
  21. Gruver 200 Main Street Gruver Texas 79039
  22. Haskell 211 North 1st Street, Haskell, TX 79521-5904 Haskell Texas 79521
  23. Stratford 502 East Texas Avenue Stratford Texas 79084
  24. Cedar Hill 303 West Copper Street Cedar Hill Texas 75104
  25. Carrollton 3488 East Rosemead Parkway Carrollton Texas 75007
  26. Waco 125 LaSalle Waco Texas 76706
  27. San Augustine 1010 Nacogdoches Highway San Augustine Texas 75972
  28. Conroe 1612 North Frazier Street Conroe Texas 77301
  29. Giddings 977 East Austin Street Giddings Texas 78942

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they would offer the steak finger basket in other states, they might have been able to stave off bankruptcy:)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is an idea....price your ice cream related products so most people can afford them.

A few months ago I took the family to get Blizzards as a special treat because it was over 100 degrees. I almost fell out when the clerk rang up our order. We haven't been back and won't after that. Bottom line is it's ice cream not some highly collectible gold plated item.

Honestly I'm stunned anymore at the wide variety of price points on many items... From coffee to ice cream to vacuum cleaners.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
funny, I stopped and got a chili dog there last night first time in years. as a kid I loved the place but too many choices now and I rarely think of them.

I think that's the #1 problem of the chain... They've lost identity in the market. Most consumers just liken it to any other non-descript chain. Hence I think that's why the push on national TV advertising. Unfortunately their advertising doesn't rate as well as say Sonic's.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly I'm stunned anymore at the wide variety of price points on many items... From coffee to ice cream to vacuum cleaners.
I've always said there's a psychological aspect to pricing on items targeted at individuals. The higher the prices go for items we "need" makes it much easier for items we "want" to be priced higher, because in most people's minds, "want" items should be more expensive than "need" items. In some ways, a "want" item that is priced too low creates questions in people as to whether it's actually worthy of their purchase.

People rarely stop to think about the psychological factors that greatly impact our decision making process. We automatically think a $30,000 car is better than a $20,000 car, because otherwise, why would it be $10,000 more? Even when you really want the cheaper item more, you keep asking yourself, why is it cheaper and/or why is the other item more expensive.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As the old adage goes......you pay for what you get. Blizzards are fantastic! However, I would not include Fourbucks in that, way too expensive for that trash.

Buyer psychology... We could talk about that for days and everyone would be right & wrong!

I like my latte's... mocha or caramel macchiato. For a 16oz I'll pay $2.99 at one place and $4.99 at another... Just all over the map.

Within certain guidelines I think you get what you pay for but there are some things you pay for that some may or may not want.

Again... Buyer psychology and pricing psychology... Lot's of variables.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Buyer psychology... We could talk about that for days and everyone would be right & wrong!

I like my latte's... mocha or caramel macchiato. For a 16oz I'll pay $2.99 at one place and $4.99 at another... Just all over the map.

Within certain guidelines I think you get what you pay for but there are some things you pay for that some may or may not want.

Again... Buyer psychology and pricing psychology... Lot's of variables.

True, iPhone comes to mind :laugh:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always said there's a psychological aspect to pricing on items targeted at individuals. The higher the prices go for items we "need" makes it much easier for items we "want" to be priced higher, because in most people's minds, "want" items should be more expensive than "need" items. In some ways, a "want" item that is priced to low creates questions in people as to whether it's actually worthy of their purchase.

People rarely stop to think about the psychological factors that greatly impact our decision making process. We automatically think a $30,000 car is better than a $20,000 car, because otherwise, why would it be $10,000 more? Even when you really want the cheaper item more, you keep asking yourself, why is it cheaper and/or why is the other item more expensive.

Agreed.

I've seen the results of direct response TV commercials and infomercials where $29.95 out-pulled $19.95. It's just funny how it works. You'll have folks lined up at Starbucks to pay $3.00 for a cup of coffee that IMO isn't even that good, but it's a Starbucks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stop sign of Texas is on the ropes? They are just getting Out Whataburgered....

Nah, that wouldn't be it. I think McD's and BK are more competition. I just see DQ flailing away at trying to find a niche that works for them. For years it was the ice-cream thing but they seem to have got away from that and more into burgers which of course others can do better or have a stronger reputation for.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, iPhone comes to mind :laugh:

OMG.

Apple.

Not all the time, but quite often their stuff comes out with fewer features and is 30%-40%-60% more than their competition

I see folks lined up begging to have Apple take their money and I'm wondering WTH? I don't have a single Apple product in my house, not that I wouldn't buy an Apple product, but every time I'm out there looking for a product that Apple makes also... A competitor is offering something superior at a lower price.

And I'll tell ya, my daughter... Whom I should have raised better... Is always buying Apple products and their stuff doesn't seem to last any longer than anyone else's... So it's not a craftsmanship thing like say a Maytag washer.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

yea, when an ice cream treat is $8, i'm out.