Dr. Dre, Snopp Dogg, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, and Mary J. Blige to preform Super Bowl Halftime Show

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I find it more interesting to watch the themes of the half time shows, and what symbolism and narratives are being pushed, rather than the actual music.

If you look real close this year i'll bet you'll see some of the DJs onstage playing their albums backwards, who knows what messages they'll be sending!?

Flamma

Reaction score
The powers that be trying to zero in on a very small % football fans, most are way beyond hip hop.

And the NFL knows this....

For NFL the average fan age is 47 and for hockey it's 50. The average NBA fan is 37 years old who views on TV, the average of the fan who visits the game is 36. The average income of a sports fan is about $95k a year.

I've been a sports fan all of my life and knew a ton of sports fans. Of all of the people I know and have known, none of the sports fans made 95k a year. Of the few people that I know that do make that or more, including my wife, aren't sports fans. Maybe I'm just hanging around with the wrong crowd?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think that depends on what rap you're talking about. The party themed rap that kids listen to today, I agree with.

Both Dre and Kendrick however have put out music on important topics that are relative to today's society. Dre in the 90's with stories about growing up in Compton and the difficulties he faced, and Kendrick, a Compton native as well, with modern-day stories of politics, discrimination and culture. Kendrick even won a Pulitzer prize for his last record, the first hip-hop artist to do so. David Bowie cited Kendrick Lamar as one of his biggest influences for his final album before his death, Blackstar.

Both lyricists are more articulate, personal, honest and important to American culture than the majority of rock and pop produced today. I think there may be a lot more people in their 40's and 50's who listen to these artists, especially in the LA area where they all grew up than one would think.
They should throw Tom McDonald up there and see how America reacts. Lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been a sports fan all of my life and knew a ton of sports fans. Of all of the people I know and have known, none of the sports fans made 95k a year. Of the few people that I know that do make that or more, including my wife, aren't sports fans. Maybe I'm just hanging around with the wrong crowd?
That threw me too. Maybe he's talking about the sports fans who can actually afford to pay $1,101 to go to a Patriots vs. Tampa Bay game.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Last halftime show I truly enjoyed from start to finish was the Prince halftime show. Eh I’ll give it chance for Snoop. Just please don’t be about poli…know what I’m not gonna finish that word.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
family-guy-puking.gif

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Not that I'm a big rap fan. I'm more of a rock guy, but like some of the rap. I see it more as the NFL trying to pull in a younger crowd. If you only play to your current demographic, you'll age yourself right out of existence. So, schedule a halftime show to do that. Doesn't bother me. I've never really cared about the halftime show. I'm more interested in the halftime commercials and making sure I've got a second big plate of fajita nachos ready for the second half kick off.

dogberry

Reaction score
Since my favorite rap artistes were Hoagy Carmichael, Fred Astaire, and Rex Harrison, I’ll pass.

Motorola

Reaction score
Well this should satisfy all those people who complained about how lewd JLo and Shakira were.
Venture out into the streets of 21st century America.
Be at work, schools -high school & college - /running errands, at sports and entertainment events, traveling across the nation - you will see women\females dressed and behaving in the same manner.
Lewdness really is a term that is archaic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Venture out into the streets of 21st century America.
Be at work, schools -high school & college - /running errands, at sports and entertainment events, traveling across the nation - you will see women\females dressed and behaving in the same manner.
Lewdness really is a term that is archaic.
It seems as though you think I was one of those people who complained. I certainly was not. Though that doesn't mean I want to see my nieces emulating that type of behavior. Nor do I think all old fashioned values should be abandoned.....but that was a hot performance on Shakira's part.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Rap is not my thing so probably another halftime show I will skip.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
We've gone from aging classic rock dinosaurs to washed up rappers and hip hop artists, hahaha.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We've gone from aging classic rock dinosaurs to washed up rappers and hip hop artists, hahaha.

One of the original Kings of Comedy, DL Hughley, used to have a great bit on how it was going to be sad when rap stars started playing in their old age because of the nature of the music and genre. I guess those days are here.