Draft grades on pure talent, talent+intangibles, and need

droopdog7

Reaction score
Feel like you can break down the draft in three distinct ways. What is the pure talent of the players, minus any other issues (good or bad). Now let’s factor in the characters issues, the coaches sons, and whatever else. Finally, are we filling needs and, importantly, when were they filled.

On the last point I’ll save you the time. Never again drafting a safety or 1-technique high in the draft.

Talent wise I go B+
Talent plus intangibles I go B-
Need I go A

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Being as generous as possible, I think there were about a 100 ways even an imbecile could have walked away with a better draft than what they did. There were so many times on day 2 where there were 5-6 guys that should have all been valued targets fall to their draft spot or you move up a few spots & guarantee you get one of them. Instead, they ignore to draft someone a round or more early or they sit and let them all get wiped out ahead of them. Seriously, I could have ended day 2 and probably 80+% of this board would have been like I don't care if we even show up on day 3. (The other 20% are going to complain no matter what you do). The talent was there to be had and we had the ammo to get it.

It very much felt like last year spoiled them thinking the board would fall their way and when it didn't they had no plan to take control of their destiny.

conner01

Reaction score
The draft grade that matters in 3 years from now
Instant draft grades are more about who got the best know prospects
But plenty of players who didn’t look good on draft day totally changed how a draft really came out
For years we’ve got good draft grades on draft day
We need a draft grade of an A 3 years from now

conner01

Reaction score
Best pick Cox
Worst pick Wright
Should have highest impact Parsons
Most likely to bust Ball
Most intriguing Bohanna
Pretty much agree but I’m not sure Cox is the best pick but I do like him

btcutter

Reaction score
Best pick Cox
Worst pick Wright
Should have highest impact Parsons
Most likely to bust Ball
Most intriguing Bohanna

highest impact Parsons... better be as he’s the highest defender on our board
safest pick is Cox...... I know what he is... cover LB who can’t play the run.
riskiest pick is Joseph....could say Ball but then Ball is only a 6th rounder so expectations pretty low.
surprise contributor.... Odigizuwa...wrestler back ground and dominated at senior bowl says he can play.
agree with worse pick Wright...

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
But plenty of players who didn’t look good on draft day totally changed how a draft really came out
Yep you can not judge a draft until you see the impact it has on the team

RandyOh

Reaction score
Day 1: A-
Day 2: C
Day 3: B

Overall draft class: B

Parsons and Josephs off field maturity concerns and Josh Ball past of DV dropped it down a grade. Solid draft class that could be a very very good class if off field issues disappear in the pros and at least a couple of these trait CBs and DL hit. I feel the defense got better immediately at least on the 2nd level with Parsons and Cox.

btcutter

Reaction score

Even though you are right about time frame but this explanation is often the company line when we have a “meh” type of draft with a bunch of developmental players.

Techsass

Reaction score
I know we need to give the rooks time before handing out grades, but I'm hoping we see some Wow plays this season.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Feel like you can break down the draft in three distinct ways. What is the pure talent of the players, minus any other issues (good or bad). Now let’s factor in the characters issues, the coaches sons, and whatever else. Finally, are we filling needs and, importantly, when were they filled.

On the last point I’ll save you the time. Never again drafting a safety or 1-technique high in the draft.

Talent wise I go B+
Talent plus intangibles I go B-
Need I go A

That is actually a good way to grade drafts.
As far as need, we have pre-draft need and the unknown need caused by injuries. One can easily predict, the other is a complete guess.