Micah Baskerville
    LB | LSU
    F
    Warren McClendon
    OT | Georgia
    A+

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see them going WR with their first pick and I don't see them taking two TBs.

J-man

Reaction score
I don't see them going WR with their first pick and I don't see them taking two TBs.
IMO, depending on how the board falls, WR is absolutely in play at 26. Drafting and hoping mid rd WRs like Tolbert make the jump in a couple of years isn't going to cut it. But adding a dangerously fast play making WR will help Dak, Lamb and the offense in general, tremendously.

2 RB's is a stretch, but I couldn't pass on Abanikanda there and adding those 2 would allow them to let Pollard walk after this season without paying him big $. Plus I think they would make a nice inexpensive "thunder and lightning" combo for the next few years.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMO, depending on how the board falls, WR is absolutely in play at 26. Drafting and hoping mid rd WRs like Tolbert make the jump in a couple of years isn't going to cut it. But adding a dangerously fast play making WR will help Dak, Lamb and the offense in general, tremendously.

2 RB's is a stretch, but I couldn't pass on Abanikanda there and adding those 2 would allow them to let Pollard walk after this season without paying him big $. Plus I think they would make a nice inexpensive "thunder and lightning" combo for the next few years.
They are not taking a WR at 26.

Again, the Cowboys are very open and consistent when they say that they use the draft to find their players and that they expect them to make immediate, big impacts. Any WR taken at 26 would be the 4th WR on this team and likely see the field less than 20% of the offensive snaps.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Ageee.

WR is in play.

Likely even.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    Josh Downs
    WR | North Carolina
    A
    Zach Charbonnet
    RB | UCLA
    A
    Cody Mauch
    IOL | North Dakota State
    A
    D.J. Turner
    CB | Michigan
    A+
    Zacch Pickens
    DL | South Carolina
    A+
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB | Pittsburgh
    B+
    Brenton Cox Jr.
    EDGE | Florida
    B
    Jay Ward
    S | LSU
    A+
    Cam Jones
    LB | Indiana
    B
    Micah Baskerville
    LB | LSU
    F
    Warren McClendon
    OT | Georgia
    A+

CB Turner's measurables might be too far outside of the Cowboys preferences.

They did draft a sub 6' CB (Joseph) but he was significantly heavier with a significantly larger wingspan than Turner.

D.J. Turner​
Kelvin Joseph​
Height​
5112​
5114​
Weight​
197​
40 Yard Dash (ET)​
4.26​
4.35​
20 Yard (ET)​
2.32​
2.48​
10 Yard (ET)​
1.42​
1.44​
225 Lb. Bench Reps​
Vertical Jump​
38 1/2​
35​
Broad Jump​
10'11"​
10'08"​
20 Yrd Shuttle​
4.23​
3-Cone Drill​
7.21​
Hand​
09 5/8​
09 1/4​
Arm​
30 3/4​
31 7/8​
Wingspan​
73 3/8​
77 1/8​

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    Josh Downs
    WR | North Carolina
    A
    Zach Charbonnet
    RB | UCLA
    A
    Cody Mauch
    IOL | North Dakota State
    A
    D.J. Turner
    CB | Michigan
    A+
    Zacch Pickens
    DL | South Carolina
    A+
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB | Pittsburgh
    B+
    Brenton Cox Jr.
    EDGE | Florida
    B
    Jay Ward
    S | LSU
    A+
    Cam Jones
    LB | Indiana
    B
    Micah Baskerville
    LB | LSU
    F
    Warren McClendon
    OT | Georgia
    A+
WR Downs is really small...

Josh Downs
Height: 5086
Weight: 171
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.48
20 Yard (ET): 2.53
10 Yard (ET): 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
Hand: 09 1/4
Arm: 30 3/8
Wingspan: 73 3/8

Sydla

Reaction score
Ageee.

WR is in play.

Likely even.
Maybe in the mid to later rounds but there it is unlikely they take a WR with their first pick.

Again, the Cowboys are pretty open about how they use the draft for their impact players. And they have long said they expect their top picks to play immediately and make immediate impacts.

Any WR they take at 26 will be the 4th WR. That WR, barring an injury, will get limited snaps in 2023. The Cowboys have their top 3 WRs for the next two seasons most likely. There seems to be little chance they are going to use their best pick on a guy who may see the field only 15-20% of the offensive snaps. If you look at last year, the top three snaps at WR were Lamb, Gallup and Brown. If you add up ALL the other WR snap counts (and there were 6 other WRs who saw snaps), it was only 28% of the total offensive snaps.

There's no way they are taking a WR at 26 who won't be on the field that much in 2023.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
If the Cowboys feel they've done enough this offseason to let the board come to them, they certainly could take a receiver. Downs probably is pegged as a slot guy only at the NFL level, if you’re cool with that.

I like the value of Abanikanda at 169 much better than I do Charbonnet at 58. I know you can’t argue with his output, but I watched enough of him this year to just make me say…”ok”.

I am more than ok with Mauch at 77. I like the value and have a feeling he could see regular season snaps if drafted. He’s quite the character anyway, and I’d appreciated hearing some Cody interviews.

Zacch Pickens is interesting. I remember him being very highly recruited out of high school. I admit to losing track of him in college.

J-man

Reaction score
They are not taking a WR at 26. You know this is a fact?

Again, the Cowboys are very open and consistent when they say that they use the draft to find their players and that they expect them to make immediate, big impacts. Any WR taken at 26 would be the 4th WR on this team and likely see the field less than 20% of the offensive snaps.
Please don't state your opinions as facts. This is your opinion, not mine. There are probably some who agree with you. I know there are many who agree with me.

I don't understand why you would insist that a WR taken at 26 would not see the field. They'd be behind Lamb yes, but because of Gallup and Cooks he'd be the 4th option? Both are decent and reliable (when healthy that is), but I don't see either of them as being so dynamic and dangerous to not want to upgrade the position. Not only that, I doubt they are both here next year.
Can you even have too many playmaking WR's on a team? I don't think so
Do we currently have that problem? IMO, definitely not

Sydla

Reaction score
Please don't state your opinions as facts. This is your opinion, not mine. There are probably some who agree with you. I know there are many who agree with me.

I don't understand why you would insist that a WR taken at 26 would not see the field. They'd be behind Lamb yes, but because of Gallup and Cooks he'd be the 4th option? Both are decent and reliable (when healthy that is), but I don't see either of them as being so dynamic and dangerous to not want to upgrade the position. Not only that, I doubt they are both here next year.
Can you even have too many playmaking WR's on a team? I don't think so
Do we currently have that problem? IMO, definitely not
- Yes, you can have too many WRs on the field especially if you are using prime assets that could be used to fill other more pressing needs to just to load up on WRs.

- Gallup and Cooks are also getting paid. People don't want to buy this but yes, contracts do come into play at times. So unless Cooks or Gallup just suck from the start, those two, along with Lamb are going to eat up most of the snaps at WR until maybe later in the year.

- Gallup is going nowhere after this year. They just restructured him so it would make no sense to cut him then after this year because they'd see minimal cap relief. Cooks is on the books for a reasonable base salary of $8 million in 2024 and saves just about $4 million as a regular cut. So unless he stinks, it would seem unlikely they'd cut him in his last year.

- And as I said, the Cowboys are pretty clear that they expect their top picks to make impacts and/or start. They tell us this every year when they explain their overall lack of action in FA. That they don't go for the high priced guys rather looking for smart depth signings and that their real talent comes through the draft. So again, it seems quite unlikely that they would take a WR at 26, given all their other needs, to then have the kid come in, largely sit on the bench for a good chunk of the season (barring injuries).

- There really isn't a WR that might be around 26 that is worth taking because he was too good to pass up, like when Lamb fell to us. And remember, when we took Lamb, it wasn't like we were loaded at WR. We had an opening for at least the 3rd WR, which in this offense, sees a ton of snaps.

Sure, technically, there is a greater than 0% chance they take a WR. But it seems quite, quite unlikely.

starfan1

Reaction score
pfn-logo-black

• DAL

Jahmyr Gibbs
    RB Alabama
    trade icon
  • DAL

Calijah Kancey
    DT Pittsburgh
  • DAL

Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan
    trade icon
  • DAL

Warren McClendon
    OT Georgia
  • DAL

DeMarvion Overshown
    LB Texas
    trade icon
  • DAL

Garrett Williams
    CB Syracuse
  • DAL

Anthony Bradford
    OG LSU
  • DAL

Charlie Thomas
    LB Georgia Tech
    If only it were this simple.a couple of trade downs and boom all is good.

starfan1

Reaction score
pfn-logo-black

• DAL

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida
    trade icon
  • DAL

Calijah Kancey
    DT Pittsburgh

• DAL

Noah Sewell