Video: Drew Pearson in tears, "they broke my heart"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah this bothers me to see him this upset. I know it means a lot to these guys especially the older guys who play for the love. That’s Drew. Hard to imagine one of the best receivers from the 70s can’t get in.

My biggest complaint is the lack of respect for the older guys. There shouldn’t be any first time guys getting in. They need to make sure they go back and get the older guys first.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think it's beyond disgusting that cameras had to be there to catch a man in his darkest hour and publish it for the public to watch.

I feel disgusted for Drew today. He was one of the great alpha males in this franchise's storied history.
This video will be a big selling point for him in the near future. He will get in. It’s a shame it’s taken this long.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you a Bronco fan? Your obsession with Gradishar is interesting, at least try and promote Howley if your gonna vouch for a linebacker.
I'm a Cowboy fan and have been for close to 50 years. I just think Cowboy fans tend to believe this kind of oversight is only directed at Cowboy players, and therefore the discussion ends up being misguided. I mentioned Gradishar to show that it's not just Cowboys this happens to.

quickccc

Reaction score
Drew really needs very prominent key NFL figure heads that will keep pushing for him,.. and keep the pressure on to get him in there.
Jerry is the biggest marketer and influence on the NFL, and he could lay his share of the stamp there, but I guess maybe that may not be his spectrum of interest.

We even got the likes of Harry Carson (what?!!) in before Drew Pearson.

Some here saying why are they capturing his tearful reactions on his disappointment in not getting into
Hall of Fame.

Hey that's what will take to help get enough empathy, then all the more help matters the next time around, ..the next year around..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't like that sportswriters control the Hall like they do. They already control the narrative, and they can swing an opinion one way or the other like a herd of cattle running off a cliff. I'm honestly amazed they let Charles Haley in. He was known to hate the media, and they made him pay for it. I truly believe the only reason he got in was because Brady managed to get his 5th Super Bowl ring and folks brought up Haley's name to remind them that Brady wasn't the first.
It's definitely an imperfect process, but I think the idea is that sport writers can be more impartial than the NFL, who might have an agenda on who they would choose based on the image they want to present. But sports writers can have their own personal agenda's, and of course, they all have their different perceptions of players that can be colored by things that don't fit the overall view they should be judging from.

I really don't know what would be the ideal process though.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drew really needs very prominent key NFL figure heads that will keep pushing for him,.. and keep the pressure on to get him in there.
Jerry is the biggest marketer and influence on the NFL, and he could lay his share of the stamp there, but I guess maybe that may not be his spectrum of interest.

We even got the likes of Harry Carson (what?!!) in before Drew Pearson.

Some here saying why are they capturing his tearful reactions on his disappointment in not getting into
Hall of Fame.

Hey that's what will take to help get enough empathy, then all the more help matters the next time around, ..the next year around..
Carson was a pretty outstanding player.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you also ignorant of the facts?

Please enlighten me (and the rest of us who are informed) as to what this clue is.
Just because the NFL does not run the Hall of Fame. Does not mean that they’re not in charge of who gets in

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you also ignorant of the facts?

Please enlighten me (and the rest of us who are informed) as to what this clue is.
Excuse me I may have spoken too soon. It’s a 48 pricing committee. Well doesn’t that suck. The NFL isn’t even in charge of its own people getting in to the NFL Hall of Fame. Won’t be my last mistake apologies

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because the NFL does not run the Hall of Fame. Does not mean that they’re not in charge of who gets in
The NFL doesn't have a vote. Voters can caste their ballot for whoever they want and the NFL has no control over that. And, remember, it's the pro football hall of fame, not the NFL hall of fame.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboy fan and have been for close to 50 years. I just think Cowboy fans tend to believe this kind of oversight is only directed at Cowboy players, and therefore the discussion ends up being misguided. I mentioned Gradishar to show that it's not just Cowboys this happens to.

My friend is a Broncos fan and he has been complaining for years that there's a Broncos bias. It's hard to not think there's a Cowboys bias when the only first team players not in from the 1970s all decade team were both Cowboys (until Harris got in today).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeh but not a HOFer, imo.

there's a big difference between pro bowlers... and 'crème of the crop' hall of famers, imo.
The thing is there will always be some that get in that not everyone agrees on, and of course, the fans of a certain team will have a stronger feeling about the players that play for their team. And naturally they will know more about the players because that is the team they watch every week of every season, so it will never be that fans will look through clear and impartial glasses. All I know is that Carson was an outstanding player, but I cannot claim to have watched him often enough or consistently enough to be clear on how he stacks up in comparison to Pearson. I doubt many Cowboy fans can.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I love the Cowboys but I hate this league.

This is why the Dallas Cowboys became America's team and my favorite team growing up in New Orleans, LA. I watched Drew Pearson's entire career from UDFA from Tulsa to the Cowboys All time Leading receiver when he was forced to retire. He was the WR on the NFL 70's All Decade Team.

I respect Drew Pearson, passion, truth, intellect, competitiveness, and inspiration to inspire his teammates (he even inspired the Eagles to a Super Bowl :(). People forget his career was cut short due to a car accident where he lost his brother Carey who was in the car with him while Drew was driving falling asleep at the wheel.

I am 100% sure he did not want the Hall of Fame for him but for Carey. Drew Pearson is in the Ring of Honor. Pearson is the WR on the 70's Decade team. Dallas Cowboys history could not be told without mentioning Drew Pearson Hail Mary Catch, Clint Longley's Thanksgiving comeback vs. the Commanders, and Danny Whites comeback victory over the Falcons. He was a towel away from making everyone forget "the catch". Just as he took the background to Tony Hill as a team player, he would have taken the background to memorialize Carey Pearson in his Hall of Fame Speech.

I feel his pain, anger, and passion. That is why the Cowboys never had a losing season with Drew Pearson wearing no. 88 on the field. The original 88 that made the number historic in the NFL and for the Dallas Cowboys. As an African American entrepreneur, the first African American to have a Sports apparel and NFL licensing agreement, he inspired me in business and investments.

Drew Pearson is more than an Hall of Fame Football Player. He is in the Hall of Fame of Men and had been inducted into the real Hall of Fame a long time ago.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Carson was a pretty outstanding player.
I'm looking at his career and he seems to have good accolades (ring of honor, 9x pro bowl, 1st or 2nd team all-pro a combined 6x, was a key contributer in there super-bowl run).

Don't see the issue with him getting in over a decade after he was elgible ?? He's looks like basically the line-backer version of John Lynch in terms of accolades, being a peice of a superbowl run, and both will probably what similiar waiting periods for Canton

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The NFL doesn't have a vote. Voters can caste their ballot for whoever they want and the NFL has no control over that. And, remember, it's the pro football hall of fame, not the NFL hall of fame.
Yeah I guess they found out too late. Before I open my big mouthYou wonder why they get to snuff who they want. Sucks

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm looking at his career and he seems to have good accolades (ring of honor, 9x pro bowl, 1st or 2nd team all-pro a combined 6x, was a key contributer in there super-bowl run).

Don't see the issue with him getting in over a decade after he was elgible ??

Me either