Twitter: DT help coming in the draft

Plankton

Reaction score
The Cowboys have no choice but to trade up.

After all, I have read here countless times that there won’t be anyone available at 19.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Target? In your opinion, who improves the Cowboys more?
Derwin James is the guy I trade up for if I do it. IMO, he's the best defensive player in the draft and he's a safety. Perfect guy to trade up....but what we did with Mo scares me.

Verdict

Reaction score
Derwin James is the guy I trade up for if I do it. IMO, he's the best defensive player in the draft and he's a safety. Perfect guy to trade up....but what we did with Mo scares me.

No. You dont trade up for a ******* safety. Want to trade up for a deep snapper and a punter while you are at it???

RSM94

Reaction score
I don't think there is a desperate need to trade up for any DT in the first round. Tim Settle is potential pro-bowler and he's available later. I think the need is much stronger at LB, where we only have 2 real starters....one recovering from a knee injury and the other who can't stay healthy....

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Here's where I have an issue with fans criticizing the Week 17 win over the Eagles: Are you really serious? Garrett's team only scored 6 points. One single TD by the Eagles would have turned it into a loss. Isn't it more likely the Eagles tanked than the Cowboys tried to win to give Garrett a 9-7 record? 6 points scored is "undermining" the Cowboys draft position? Really? How much more could Garrett have done to try to lose the game? 6 points. I repeat. 6 whole points.

Ya,well the reverse side of the coin reads " through sheer brilliance of tactically Superior game management in all three phases of the heated fray, HEAD COACH Jason Garrett steadfastly lead by his motivated excellence, being so infectiously laden with ' Esprit de corps' the team launched into accelerated levels of exemplary execution of the highest professional levels thusly allowing the bewildered & increasingly agitated opposition ,zero points awarded in their fruitless Endeavors of competing against such a dominant force arrayed ,consisting of such driven magnitude ,they were forced to withdrawal from the field upon end of regulation play in defeat"

Yeppers,that's what the flip side of that coin reads as,,,,o_O

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

:dance:

DanA

Reaction score
I don't see it that way. Safety falls below all of the following:

Linebacker
OT
OG
WR
1 Tech
RB

Safety is up there but way wow these areas IMHO.

I don't see it this way.

1) OT/ OG:

I think it's either / or. I personally would prefer an OG with Collins as starting RT and also Collins as the swing guy for LT and OG. That'd allow Fleming to come in at RT when Collins moves. I agree we don't strickly need a 1st round guy given the talent around him but we still need a guy that can come start in and play 900 snaps so I'd want it to be no later than 3rd.

2) S:
I think we need a guy that can start and have Fraizer / Woods share the 3rd safety role that we frequently play. Woods played 550 snaps, Fraizer played 250 snaps and I'd want to keep it around that number with a new guy coming in to replace Byron Jones as a safety. Ideally Derwin James would fall to us but failing that I'd like a 2nd round guy but I don't really see one. Any later than 3rd and it might as well be a 7th because we're looking at our 4th safety and a depth guy.

3)
LB:

I think we need that rotation guy that played 500-600 snaps and ideally a 2nd guy that replaces Wilson's 300-400 snaps. I think we could also add another one that replaces Wilbur as a ST guy. I think we could get away with one in the first 4 rounds and two between rounds 4-6.

4) WR:

We need to cheapen the position but how we do it is flexible IMO. We could trade / cut Beasley and not bring in a WR at all, we could trade / cut Dez and bring one in early in the draft or we could develop a 3-4th round guy with intentions to cut T.Will/Dez in 2019. I'd lean toward reducing Dez's cost, trading Bealsey and getting a replacement for Williams that sits and develops for a year.

5) 1 Tech:
We've got Irving & Collins, we need a 3rd guy that can rotate with them and ideally be an upgrade on Price. This player IMO needs to play the 500 or so snaps that we had JAG's play (Ash, Daytone, Neal, Ross, Paea), I'd still keep Price around as a two down DT.

6) RB:
I think we need a gadget guy to play the 200-300 snaps that Morris played last year. I'd want a guy that catches a bit more, some speed that comes in on 3rd down to compliment the more powerful R.Smith behind Zeke.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Vea creates a problem for the rushing game and aids the passing defense with his burst and disruption.

This is a Martin pick.

He plays too high and doesn't have the hand technique to disengage. He isn't going to be able to ragdoll the Washington OL like he was Richmond. He's like Star Lotulelei.

Martin was as polished after his 4 years at ND as you will ever see a prospect. Vea is still quite raw and lacks natural bend. He is not like Martin except they are both big and strong.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He plays too high and doesn't have the hand technique to disengage. He isn't going to be able to ragdoll the Washington OL like he was Richmond. He's like Star Lotulelei.

Martin was as polished after his 4 years at ND as you will ever see a prospect. Vea is still quite raw and lacks natural bend. He is not like Martin except they are both big and strong.

I suppose everyone has an opinion. Right or wrong.

Gaede

Reaction score
Remember Jerry said he's working on moves that have some more hair to them?!

Maybe he was being literal

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No. You dont trade up for a ******* safety. Want to trade up for a deep snapper and a punter while you are at it???

If the punter or deep snapper are one of the best players in the draft? Yeah let's trade for them too.

You can't be serious in believing safety is on the same level as deep snapper or punter. You just can't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't see it that way. Safety falls below all of the following:

Linebacker
OT
OG
WR
1 Tech
RB

Safety is up there but way wow these areas IMHO.
How is safety under running back? Or even tackle? We don't even have a free safety at all.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
It is a distant 4th or later priority. Yeah it's important but it's not even in the same stratosphere of need as the areas I mentioned earlier.
Look at the top teams in the NFL last year and see what they have in common. We are woefully inadequate there.

Far more important than WR or running back. I'd even venture to say more important than LBer. LB is a need only for insurance to Lee and Smith.

Guard is something we can get later in the draft.

Based on what we can realistically get and where, LB in the first and Safety in the second.

But I'd love to find a way to get James.

Verdict

Reaction score
How is safety under running back? Or even tackle? We don't even have a free safety at all.

You don't need a first round safety to be competitive. They are a lot easier to get later on in the draft. Very good DBs and WR are often found after the 4th round.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You don't need a first round safety to be competitive. They are a lot easier to get later on in the draft. Very good DBs and WR are often found after the 4th round.

You can say that about every position. You can find a qb in the 4th round. You are competitive in this league because of playmakers. Doesn't matter what position they play. You guys keep trying to look st what other teams are doing to contend. What works for one team doesn't work for another. If a guy is a premier talent his position shouldn't matter.